Model Cars Magazine Forum

Venting a paint booth

Hi guys, yesterday my Pace paint booth showed up. I've wanted one for years and finally bit the bullet. I'm really stoked to get it hooked up and running. My questions are about venting it to the outside. My plan is to Y pipe the cloths dryer vent and run a flexible hose to the paint booth. HERE is the important question .... will any of the fumes get into the cloths dryer?? My wife is spazzzing a bit and worried the dryer may smell ?? Since I haven't tried it yet I just dont know. Anyone have any experience doing this ??

I was thinking I have two options to prevent this (if it will happen at all). Make an internal "flapper" that I can turn by lever open or closed to block off the dryer portion when I'm using the paint booth. OR worst case I'd have to disconnect the dryer portion and cap it off each time I use the paint booth. I'd rather NOT have to go that route. Anyone share any experiences on this with me ?? Thanks fellas.

I wouldn't "Y" it myself. May work just fine, but depending on the length back to the dryer, fumes could go that way.

Any "Y" or "flapper" also has the potential to trap lint which is NEVER good for dryers, and most likely against building code.

I have a booth only a few feet from our dryer and I chose to put in another flapper vent in the outside wall of the house.

Not a big deal, cheap and FAR superior way to deal with the fumes.

On aside note... have fun with the dust/lint associated with having it so near your dryer. I fight this EVERY time I spray.

Plans to separate the room are in place and should cure these issues.

Don't Y it with the clothes dryer. Fume will flow back into the dryer and settle into it. Also, humid dryer air will flow into the paint booth possibly damaging it. There will also be lint getting to your paint booth from the dryer as well. It is best to give it a separate exhaust to the outside.

I echo the others about not using a Y in to the dryer venting. Another consideration is do not use the plastic flexible dryer vent tubing. the solvents from the paint will attack it and over time it will destroy it. Spend the extra few bucks for the solid metal or flexible metal. Depending on how far you have to go. I used all metal on mine but I have a run to the outside wall that is over 12ft. It is availbale in 3ft and 6ft sections at most home centers. You can cut it with a tin snips and the tool to create the crimp to join the cut pieces is only a few bucks. This way costs a bit more to get started, but you won't ever have to replace it.

Edited by steve7119

Venting with a Y pipe does'nt sound like a good Idea to me. What if the fumes became trapped and lingered in the dryer tubing then became ignited by the dryers heating element. I dont know if this is possible, but do you really want to find out.

If your near a window you make something to vent it really easy and cheap. I used a piece of 1/4" plywood cut to fit the window with a 1/8" gap on each side then used some stick on weather striping to put on each end to seal it. Bought a cheap ($6) aluminum dryer vent that has a flap inside it and cut out the hole and put a thin bead of caulk under it and screwed it to the plywood. Just stick it in the window and shut it. works great.

8a49a698.jpg

5e3820c9.jpg

A few things to think about here:

#1 Unless you are going to be painting with a full-sized production spray gun, the amount of "fumes" you might generate will be rather small really. Still, that's not something I would want to possibly "back-flow" into a clothes dryer, even in minute amounts--not worth the risks.

#2 Vapors from the paints we use won't soften or dissolve a plastic dryer vent hose--the vapors or "fumes" are no longer liquid--by the time your paint overspray is a foot from your airbrush (even rattle can) the liquid solvents have evaporated, and in any event, any liquid solvents will be trapped by the filter in your spray booth. So you should be able to use either a plastic dryer vent hose (which I did for more than 10yrs with no problems) or the more readily available metal foil hoses.

#3 A plug for a window is very easily made. I have done this a couple of times, being a committed apartment dweller. For a sash window, simply cut a piece of particle board or plywood (in fact I used a tempered particle board utility shelf I bought at Menard's for less than $10). Cut the material to the width of the window channel so that when you set it in the open window it goes all the way to the framing on both sides, then when the sash is pulled down on top of it, it's very secure. The proper size hole cutter will make for a perfect fit for your dryer vent. For a casement window, if that window cranks outward, the same sort of plug works just fine. For a basement window, IF you own the house, simply remove one of the panes of glass, replace that with a piece of marine or exterior plywood (seal the wood first!) then cut the hole for your dryer vent, and install it.

#4, It's not a good idea to vent paint fumes into an attic or crawl space; if for no other reason than doing so will put the smell right back into your house,

Not a good idea if domestic tranquility is your goal! Of course, there would also be the very slight possibility of a fire hazard.

All this said, I think it's wise to bear in mind that the amounts of paint we are likely to use, particularly with an airbrush, is really quite small--I know that when I set up my airbrush for painting, I seldom ever use more than about 1/2 fluid ounce of paint and thinner at any one sitting. However, even that small amount of thinned paint, especially since I use lacquer thinner even with enamel paints can create quite a smell--lacquer thinner fumes spread quickly, and are very noticeable. However, with my Pace Peacemaker, nobody in adjacent apartments never hear the thing run, and they never have mentioned even smelling paint--and I have a very persnickety older lady living downstairs, right below my model room. It DOES "keep the peace" here for sure!

Art

• 4 weeks later...