Model Cars Magazine Forum

Is there any issues with 1/16 scale 65 mustang by AMT ?

I think this has been covered before.... I think you will find that the consensus was that the main issue with that kit is that it's a scaled up version of a 1965 AMT annual kit with all the inherant issues of that time period.

Hole in the block for the front axle, etc...

Basically, it's an "okay" starting point if you want to make a decent looking large scale Stang.

Edited by blunc

I haven't found a big review of the kit and did a few searches as I was looking to buy in 1/16 scale

For my point of view, I have a the 'new' AMT kit unbuilt and a glue bomb parts kit from E bay as well

The body looks good in coupe form, doors open, hood is removable, have a couple of versions that you can make

There is obvious weakness in the pillars since the doors open....working on re-enforcing from the inside with styrene and doing this for a new windshield

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=93860&hl=

A hole runs through the engine from side to side for a metal rod 'axle' for the wheels..very toy like

the suspension detail and engine detail is minimal, but not uncommon with NorthAmerican kits...it isn't a Tamiya! still lots of room for modification

For me it is a good larger scale start to modify and customize as I see fit. Nice if it was a fastback option, but that could be done too

I love my Mustangs and this is sweet old school 'stang

Shoot me a PM if you want anything further

Scott

The main issue with the kit is that the A pillars and thus the windshield are slanted back too much, making the overall shape unrealistic.

The pillars are also too thin.

I don't know whether anyone has ever rectified it, however I haven't seen it done yet.

IMG_3293_zps391866f3.jpg

Beauty.jpg

• 5 years later...

I'm happy to see the instructions for the "50 Years" 1965 Mustang kit above. ☝️ At least they give proper information on what colors to paint the engine. Not Ford Blue! Ford painting all their engines blue didn't start until the 1966 model year. Thanks for getting that one right Round 2. 

I had a very hard time with this model.  The rear bumper would not fit properly at all.  The interior tub/body once completed  would not fit properly on the chassis and the doors would not line up properly (I ended up gluing them in as I couldn’t get them to look right.  

i painted it scalefinishes Ford silver blue metallic.

I’m sure the more experienced builders here would have had an easier time, but I found it a bit of a chore!

20201226_181233.jpg

20201226_181250.jpg

Good catch, Rex. The real problem is that the whole roof sits about 1/4"  back of where it should be. Moving it forward on the quarters should return the A pillar angle back to the correct 40 degrees. Scaling up the 1/25 coupe directly should get it in the ballpark. 

Got one sitting here awaiting the muse to strike  :unsure:  

1 hour ago, bluenote said:

I’m sure the more experienced builders here would have had an easier time, but I found it a bit of a chore!

Don't beat yourself up too much. This kit is rather crude, starting with that way-too-leaned-back windshield. The entire kit suffers from that "73% there" feeling, with no details quite right, and simplified assemblies all over.

It's a total mystery how Lesney/AMT could have created such accurate American 200-S wheels, and almost completely failed on the balance of the kit. I would never recommend this kit to anyone, other than for the aforementioned wheels.

3 hours ago, bluenote said:

I had a very hard time with this model.  The rear bumper would not fit properly at all.  The interior tub/body once completed  would not fit properly on the chassis and the doors would not line up properly (I ended up gluing them in as I couldn’t get them to look right.  

i painted it scalefinishes Ford silver blue metallic.

20201226_181233.jpg

20201226_181250.jpg

Despite your problems with the kit, it looks like it turned out pretty nice. ?

Here is my build of this one, the kit i bought was opened but not started and came with the resin teardrop hood. I want to redo all the trim in bare metal foil as I built this one before I learned how to use foil. 

And it sure does have that windshield lean. 

XP5R6ow.jpg

8w3ZtYC.jpg

zqIFfqr.jpg

JE8TVn2.jpg

45r7YfN.jpg

0pT8bGV.jpg

I bought that kit, opened it, put everything back in the box and eventually tossed it. And I keep everything,  broken kits, missing parts. This one, tossed

There is an old revell, 1/12 of 65 fastback and one for the gt350. They are pretty expensive, but i think they are tge way to go for a big mustang. I got the shelby one a few years ago for about 100 or so. It had one small part of the body that was broken but i fixed it and it looks good 

Edited by youpey