Model Cars Magazine Forum

Real or Model #84 FINISHED!

Real or model?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Real or model?

• Real
    • Model

This just has the look of a model at first glance. Maybe it's just the simplicity of these oldies that throws them off. There are sure many finely made ... and thin .. pieces here. .. the back of the hubs, spokes, inner fender.

I want to say real, but gut still tells me MODEL.

I gotta go with Model. I don't know why, but something just don't seem "right" about it. There doesn't appear to be any valve stems (which is usually one of my 1st giveaways) but I'm not sure if these had solid tires or not, so I'm really not sure -- just goin with my gut.

Valve stem is clearly visible on the right front wheel rim, just the barest nub of a valve stem visible on the left front.

Art

I voted REAL, given the looks of things such as the brass radiator--would be VERY hard indeed to replicate the FORD Script in brass on a model, and the only plastic kits of brass-era Model T's simply don't have this quality of radiator, were it a model using styrene parts, the brass would have been yellow-toned "chrome".

FWIW, though, Ford never made such a speedster on their assembly line--every one you see with this configuration today is either a modern-made "replica", or a restoration of a home-built speedster from decades ago.

Real or model, there is one thing severely missing: The headlights are the acetylene gas type (look at the square chimney on top of each one, dead giveaway). As such, there should be a Presto-Lite" Acetylene Generator on the running board--almost always those are on the driver's side, for ease of operation. This would be a brass tank, with a band indicating the divider between the water supply, and the gas generation section. Acetyline gas was generated in those by dripping water over pellets of carbide, which produces the gas, which is then piped to each headlight, where it's burned as an open flame inside the headlamp itself. Not only does a Presto-Lite tank not show in this pic, but neither do the rubber hoses and brass piping show, making me wonder if its headlights were converted to electric.

Art