Model Cars Magazine Forum

Real or Model #101 FINISHED!

Real or model?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Real or model?

• Real
    • Model

I was right! B)

The giveaway right away for me was the window tracks. ;) There were no tracks on the vent windows............how would the windows stay in place?? :D

That was a good one Harry! Had a lot of folks fooled!

BTW, it's too bad there's no decent kit of a proper '60's Austin Healey. :huh:

I was right! :D

The giveaway right away for me was the window tracks. ;) There were no tracks on the vent windows............how would the windows stay in place?? ;)

That was a good one Harry! Had a lot of folks fooled!

BTW, it's too bad there's no decent kit of a proper '60's Austin Healey. :huh:

I wasn't noticing that, but I was noticing the lack of center console, the bench seat, and weird seat to steering wheel location. Nothing like any Austin Healey I'd ever seen....I couldn't fathom why someone would build a large-scale model (looked like a model from the first glimpse of the photo, and I knew it was an Austin Healey) that was so "off"....then I stumbled upon the website and it all made sense ;)

It was a good ROM subject. And yeah...I would love a good, modern 1/24 Austin Healey 3000 kit...the Revell kit is okay, but isn't exactly inspiring me to do great things with it. I have a natural aversion to 1/25 scale sports cars/compacts...they look too small compared to everything else like them done by the global manufacturers in "proper" 1/24 scale. It's just as wrong for them to be 1/25 as it was for Monogram's musclecars to be 1/24 B)

??? :o

I'm not entirely sure myself what I was trying to say, however I would like to point out that I was right.

I can't really explain it. but If the camera is close enough to the car, as it is in that picture, than the car should have been bigger if it was a 1:1. The way around that is to step further back and zoom in, now you can get clear pictures with expensive camera equipment and such but I usually assume people don't go through those lengths. Maybe it makes no sense but it works for me. lol.

Ultimately it's all about perspective from the camera. .... I dont know I am rambling.

I was right! :D

BTW, it's too bad there's no decent kit of a proper '60's Austin Healey. :)

Hey Gary (and Bob too, ) they do make a really nice (very expensive) kit of the Austin Healey and actually have the 100, 100-6, 3000 MK I, MKII & MK III. I have the MK III (KAR 2424...is the kit #) and I will bring it to ATL (and Toledo if Gary doesn't make it to ATL)in Nov for you guys to look over if you want. The kits are white metal and from K & R out of England. They are 1/24.

Hey Gary (and Bob too, ) they do make a really nice (very expensive) kit of the Austin Healey and actually have the 100, 100-6, 3000 MK I, MKII & MK III. I have the MK III (KAR 2424...is the kit #) and I will bring it to ATL (and Toledo if Gary doesn't make it to ATL)in Nov for you guys to look over if you want. The kits are white metal and from K & R out of England. They are 1/24.

Interesting, I look forward to seeing it. Not that I'd buy an expensive English white metal model...those tend to scare me off more than anything :) but I would like to see it. Same company that did the MGB & GT? Those were plenty scary models :lol:

Well Dave, If that lil car comes out ANYWHERE NEAR as cool as the truck you bought to Toledo last year, it'll sho'nuff be a KILLER!!!!! Your truck, an MR.BIGGS's "300" are the kinda stuff I can only DREAM about!!! Hope to see it there! ;);)

Thanks George! I hope that it will inspire you......that's what has happend to me....I see other's work, I'm amazed and inspired, and say to myself "I can do that too!!!". Then I spend weeks in therapy!!!(LOL) And more weeks at the table!!!

Unfortunately, the Austin Healey is still in "box" form and not put together. Hope to see you in Toledo!

David

Interesting, I look forward to seeing it. Not that I'd buy an expensive English white metal model...those tend to scare me off more than anything ;) but I would like to see it. Same company that did the MGB & GT? Those were plenty scary models ;)

Yeah Bob,

White metal scares me too, but I can't figure out why, since I use brass, copper, stainless and bronze. You would think I would crave white metal (not white castle!!!) I have cast parts in white metal and it was kind of cool...but could not get the crispness I get with resin. The kit will require some work...it's not for the faint of heart.

David

Yo Harry! You not up yet??? Therese already left for work (gotta keep the Ol' girl at it!!!, only ONE retireie at a time!)(sides, it keeps her outta my hair for 8 hours! :) )an I'm gettin lonely for my RoM! Hey, where's Mike-O? He's usually here with me, ta give pep talks for when ya DO wake up! Anyway Daddy-O, UP AN AT 'EM!!!!HIT ME,Bro, HIT ME!!!!!! B):lol:;);)