Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 AMT 1973 Chevy Custom Van - Dirty Donny VANTASY

Got a phone call from my hobby dealer telling me that the Chevrolet vans had arived via U P S . I haven't picked up my van as yet as my expense check is delayed yet again for the month . Soon as I get some money, Ill go check it out an see ........... Meanwhile , I'm going to be doing mine as the van I used in Houston to deliver products with , Yeah "Cheap magnetic signs" that said Art- Forms design 7676 North Freeway #603-5. . Well, thats what my van had . Ed Shaver

I have thought about that too Chuck......think the AMT Camaro Concept Car would make a good parts donor?

Ugh... about all that's any good from that kit is the rolling stock. I'm thinking of using some of the spare parts from the AMT '34 Ford kit engine (I'm assuming this kit has a 350), with some Minilite wheels I already have laying around.

after seeing how rough the body looks i've decided to pass on this one.

where did the rain gutters go? some places they are sorta there and other places, nowhere to be seen.

i don't remember the A-team issue kit being this bad. does that kit have the same body issues as this one?

Dave,

Don't be afraid to give this one a chance. It's not bad at all. You can't really tell by pics......you need to see it in person. I was releived to see that it was fairly authentic to the original kit from back in the day.

Mike

Yeah, this kit is typical AMT of the era- for better and for worse. I'm kicking around the idea of cutting it down to a shorter wheelbase. I know the Revell kit is short wheelbase, and it's coming back out, but that's just as typical of its era engineering-wise as this kit, and something about the Revell body just looks weird to me.

Thing is, I don't have the same issues with the chrome sprues in Lindberg or Revell kits. Moebius appears to use a clear coat under the chrome plating as Round 2 does, but the chrome comes off pretty quickly. The enamel coat underneath takes a bit longer, but in some cases it's so thin you can get away with just spraying a thin coat of primer over it.

I'd be willing to bet that the *issues* with the chrome plating are due to :

1.) Environmental Standards ( and , yes , I'm factoring China in here )

2.) Shipping Durability

3.) Storage Durability

I've recently bought the 1962 Catalina SD , "Class Action" Monte Carlo , Buick 225 , and 1960 Starliner kits , and the plating looks very nice in each one of 'em .

Not certain if any stripping will be necessary as of yet ...

This is an A-Team van i built when they first came out, I was going to refurbish it but i have a sealed original issue kit in my stash. But you can see there are some similarities but not everything.

ba001.jpg

ba002.jpg

Edited by gray07