Model Cars Magazine Forum

1960-61 Falcon semi-pro touring restoration

RancheroSteve

Got it done finally! Not quite everything I wanted or hoped for, but a good opportunty to bring something back from the dead and try out a few new techniques.

965FalconRF-vi.jpg

967FalconLR-vi.jpg

951FalconRF-vi.jpg

Under the hood:

836Falconenginebay-vi.jpg

A little bit of history: I started off with this 1960 Falcon windowless $20 glue bomb a few years back.

FalconRF-vi.jpg

After getting the paint stripped off, I realized the roof was too warped to save.

611Falcon-vi.jpg

So I grafted another roof on and finally ended up dropping the whole thing over a lengthened Monogram '92 Mustang chassis. The '61 grille was made using the MicroMark photo-etch kit. (I'm saving the '60 grille for another Falcon project.) Paint is Tamiya clear red over a charcoal automotive laquer. Wheels & tires from the parts box.

Thanks for looking - comments & questions welcome.

Very nice. I like the engine compartment.

I found one with interior, chassis pan, and front/rear custom pieces. No chrome, windows or wheels. I'll be raiding a Ranchero kit for the missing parts except the rear window (the one in your last picture). Yours has the look I'm going for.

• 2 years later...

Hello Steve,

You really saved this glue bomb and made a very nice little car with it. You have put a lot of details under the hood. It looks like a real car. Nice paint and nice body work (the most difficult part).

I fould your page when I was looking on the net for pictures of 1960 Falcons. I stopped on the pictures (Google Images) of the car when you got it as a glue bomb and a thick coat of paint. I told myself that I had to register to this website and contact you, I just have done it this morning.

It is very funny because years ago I bought also an old 1/25 scale 1960 Falcon assembled kit and It was also a real mess, a total glue bomb with also the same kind of scoop on it. My Falcon had longer fender skirts reaching almost the back bumper and I thought it had a drag parachute in the back but when I saw your model I told myself that it was in fact a false continental kit like yours because the back panel and edge of trunk cover were plenty of glue on a wide portion of the back. The car had plenty of custom parts heavily glued on it. I had bouth the model something like 12 years ago and started to work on it when I received it so I forgot some details like mixing a parachute and a false wheel. The model was so damaged that, after lots of breaking custom parts to remove them, scraping the rest of plastic parts and glue, I lost hope to save it...after dropping it on the floor and breaking the roof off completely as the plastic was dried and crispy crunch... but years later, some 2 and a half years ago I decided to cut a brand new Ranchero and use more of an half of it and take the back of the Falcon and make a new Falcon with both cars. I recently created a page on my website to put the story on the web with pictures of the work.

I had boutht this '60 Falcon to make a Stock Car racer, Late model Sportsman or Modified class race car. I have done extensive work on it, not only on the body but I still add pictures and texts on the page. In fact I took over 200 pictures of the whole thing up to date but put only a few up to date with lot of text. I am thinking to put the rest of the pictures to give a more general idea of the work. The car is turning very good, still an unfinished project but lot of work have been done.

You will see how I am crazy by looking at my page, for sure, I am crazy, no doubt about that :

http://montrealminiatures.com/?page_id=1629