Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell Marmon

I owned such a Marmon too when I was much younger. 5 years ago I sold them all because my interest changed. I never knew, that the original truck wasn't only a Peterbilt with other labels. I thought, it was right like the model kit was. Good. Today with all the internet and good forums it's easier to see mistakes...

I'd like to comment on this some words. Not especially to you, niteowl, in general.

This is just a reissue, it's existed in this Marmon format before. Pour plastic in mold, put in box, step 3 - Profit!

Revell AG IS doing a brand new tool fire apparatus. Sure it's not an American truck, but then it is Revell of GERMANY after all. Sort of an indictment of the U.S. kit companies that people are getting steamed the German and Italian companies aren't making new kits of American Class 8 trucks.

Beyond all of that with the whole "Share Your Dreams" thing, I thought it was universally agreed that any model company has their next 12-18 months already planned. I think you guys are expecting a bit much that they start an R&D project for kit ideas and then y'all are indignant they aren't bringing those projects to market in 5 months.

I have good connections to the guy(s) who are responsible for PR and internetstuff (websites, forums). Everywhere in model communities there is the discussion about this "share your dreams" site. You can be sure, that every single wish goes through a kind of poll. They check all the suggestions concerning whether it's possible to make, to get the license and how much it will cost to produce the kit. In the most cases it fails because of the license. The main budget in the developing are the license costs and (unbelievable, but true) the artist, who designs the boxes / covers. I couldn't believe it too. This is the main problems for new kits.

Marmon modified trucks from kenworth, western star, freightliner and peterbilt. A guy up here has one he bought new in mid 80s and it looks just like the Pete on that box. (Different paint) of course so I don't know why you guys are getting all worked up. They were basically a coach builder and you could get whatever you wanted. True piece of trucking history

Were going to need to see a pic of this. Marmon used KW hoods on one of their older models, but they always built their own cabs. They certainly never "modified" parts from other truck makers. Marmon had their own production models and were definitely not a hodge podge of other truck parts. They might have built a truck that "looks" like a Peterbilt....

As Terry said, Marmon did make there own cab prior to using the International cab. The pictures that Sean posted show this.

1988 Marmon 57P - The cab looks like an International/Navistar to my eyes....

57pleft.jpg

57pright.jpg