Model Cars Magazine Forum

'71-'77 Dodge Van Shorty/109" Wheelbase

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got the frame rail joint corners cleaned up:

frameclean.jpg

Now I need to add the strut rod mount brackets, improve the splits at the front ends of the frame rails, fit the steering gear box, and so on...another long term project. ^_^

• 11 months later...

I was debating how to best solve the thickness/depth difference between the upper door area and the upper quarter panel, which you can (kind of) see here.:

1016131.jpg

I decided to add a piece of .010" thick styrene to the door to even things out, like so the piece was cut and shaped to match the upper door area's shape, the bottom edge was half-rounded (is that word?) to match the beltline contour, and it was welded in place with Plastruct plastic welder:

1016133.jpg

I will need to add some thickness at the door handle level, fine tune the door gaps and re-open the window and vent window openings, but the thickness issue is now eliminated...at least on the left side. <_<:D The porthole window plugs got received a bit more sanding and skim coat of putty, so here's how the body looks now:

101613left.jpg

101613top.jpg

101613right.jpg

More frame work coming up next. -_-

Block sanding and leveling the right side was pretty easy using three consecutively finer grit sanding sticks. Looks like I need a tiny bit of filler at the top and bottom of the upper door edge where there are still two low spots, but they made get filled after a coat of high build primer:

101613RHdoor.jpg

The left side will be a bit more challenging, and the door handle, lock cylinder, and Tradesman nameplate will all disappear from the door, but the entire area needs to be blocked and evened out before I can start to correct the hood's shape.

101613LHside1.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I applied a coat of gray primer, did some block sanding on and around the top half of the driver's door, rescribed the door to body gaps, and filled of the frame rail sections surrounding the fuel tank since the last update. Today I glued on a thin strip of styrene to even out the mid-body door to quarter panel area, but still need to add the convex top edge back in. The driver's door handle, lock cylinder, Tradesman 300 nameplate, and mid body stainless trim were all removed, and I've started working on the nose to be more accurate. The convex curve in the hood was a bit too sharp, and the cowl panel and molded in wipers will get some attention, too.

Lside111013.jpg

Left111013.jpg

Here's how the frame looks after shortening, removing all of the molded in/on details, and cleaning everything up. I applied some putty this evening to fill some sink marks and other imperfections, so that has yet to be sanded:

frame111013.jpg

The fuel tank will be separate, so I need to add the topside, then create a new front crossmember, add spring pockets to the frame rails, make the strut rod mounts, figure out the new floor and rear wheelhouses...still a long way to go. -_-

Those were cool old van kits. The interesting part is that MPC updated that body every single year, and I don't believe they had a promo contract of any type. I once had a box that had a bunch of junker vans in it and I noticed that every one had a different body! You can see it in Casey's photos of his shortening. See the roof ribs are completely different on the two bodies.

In real life the 'shorty' was the standard van, and the one you'd see everywhere. I had an extended length Sportsman 300 window van that had lead an easy life as a Locksmith's van. One time I had a garage dent my driveshaft with their lift. They couldn't find a used one in a junkyard and it even took a few weeks for Chrysler to locate a new one.

These were also the van of choice for the Van Pool companies, which were very popular in the mid 1980s. The Garden State Parkway in NJ was completely covered with white Dodge 12 passenger vans. I was one of the van pool drivers so I got my share of wheel time in one of these.

I intend to build the long wheelbase / extended rear length van one of these days. I want to build it in the colors and decals a buddy-0-mine ran his entertainment business out of. These were quite coveted by carpet installers since you could get full rolls inside and shut the doors. I'd also like to do a school bus with scratch built upper body one of these days.

As far as the chassis, a few things I noticed when I built my shortie pickup version is that the rear doesn't have shocks. I added a pair. The engine is only viewable from the bottom, giving the model a curbside look. So there's no sense in even putting the air cleaner on it, never mind wiring it. It would be cool to open the doors on the van and make the interior engine cover removable. I remember sitting inside mine, doing a full tune up completely inside while the weather was crummy outside.

As far as the front end lump of coal, all I did was cut out the torsion bars and added a pair made from wire. I left the rest of it alone and since the van is essentially a curbside, I left well enough alone.

Edited by Tom Geiger

Casey, Excellent work and attention to the details! I always liked the shorty Dodge '71 -'77 vans.

The MPC Cannonball Run kit I shortened years ago was cut behind the side doors since the doors were moved forward starting in '78. I didn't do such a great job at the time. What's odd was that the body of the Cannonball Run van represented a '79 instead of a '78. I think all the MPC Cannonball Run kits had the '79 'Ram' bodies but not sure.

Mike.

• 5 years later...
On 11/10/2013 at 9:01 AM, Tom Geiger said:

Those were cool old van kits. The interesting part is that MPC updated that body every single year, and I don't believe they had a promo contract of any type. I once had a box that had a bunch of junker vans in it and I noticed that every one had a different body! You can see it in Casey's photos of his shortening. See the roof ribs are completely different on the two bodies.

In real life the 'shorty' was the standard van, and the one you'd see everywhere. I had an extended length Sportsman 300 window van that had lead an easy life as a Locksmith's van. One time I had a garage dent my driveshaft with their lift. They couldn't find a used one in a junkyard and it even took a few weeks for Chrysler to locate a new one.

These were also the van of choice for the Van Pool companies, which were very popular in the mid 1980s. The Garden State Parkway in NJ was completely covered with white Dodge 12 passenger vans. I was one of the van pool drivers so I got my share of wheel time in one of these.

I intend to build the long wheelbase / extended rear length van one of these days. I want to build it in the colors and decals a buddy-0-mine ran his entertainment business out of. These were quite coveted by carpet installers since you could get full rolls inside and shut the doors. I'd also like to do a school bus with scratch built upper body one of these days.

As far as the chassis, a few things I noticed when I built my shortie pickup version is that the rear doesn't have shocks. I added a pair. The engine is only viewable from the bottom, giving the model a curbside look. So there's no sense in even putting the air cleaner on it, never mind wiring it. It would be cool to open the doors on the van and make the interior engine cover removable. I remember sitting inside mine, doing a full tune up completely inside while the weather was crummy outside.

As far as the front end lump of coal, all I did was cut out the torsion bars and added a pair made from wire. I left the rest of it alone and since the van is essentially a curbside, I left well enough alone.

Tom...  Id love to be able to find the right body style ones or parts to make the ones we once owned...have some of them but they need parts yet.

71-73? Window van

74ish Cargo van.

I owned a 75 that was a factory custom think it was  a (Goodtimes) conversion..?...beautiful thing.

Mark-

Here's my photos of all the known boxes for the Dodge vans:

https://public.fotki.com/modelcitizen/model_cars/my_model_car_box/dodge_van_kits/

I believe this is all of the boxes. Let me know if you find anything else to include here.  I just added the 2018 reissue of the Bad Company version.   

Note that all versions are long wheel base.  The original 1972 and 1973 are the window van. 1974 onward are cargo vans, so you will be good to build your 1974 an 1975 vans.  They are pretty straight forward to shorten if needed.  I have yet to do an extended length van, although I'd like to attempt that.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/19/2018 at 10:42 AM, Tom Geiger said:

Mark-

Here's my photos of all the known boxes for the Dodge vans:

https://public.fotki.com/modelcitizen/model_cars/my_model_car_box/dodge_van_kits/

I believe this is all of the boxes. Let me know if you find anything else to include here.  I just added the 2018 reissue of the Bad Company version.   

Note that all versions are long wheel base.  The original 1972 and 1973 are the window van. 1974 onward are cargo vans, so you will be good to build your 1974 an 1975 vans.  They are pretty straight forward to shorten if needed.  I have yet to do an extended length van, although I'd like to attempt that.

Tom... I liked seeing the old box arts..always loved them and collected them.   I wish I could find what the ones I have need and others I would need to make the replicas from...just cant get them out of my head till I do.   Mine..any 76 or prior body styles should work for the projects/restorations...I had a trade deal agreed to on a unbuilt 75 but at the last minute he sold it to someone...just my luck.    I too would like to attempt the long Maxi-van body one as well.   We had several 71 to 76 vans in the family once...one was a Maxi-van.    

IMG 2237

IMG 2239

Here's one I was working on back in 2015.  First photo is a side view with the pieces that were removed.   I didn't find the door thickness issue that Casey had, maybe because I pieced in the roof differently.  Notice that my roof ribs are different from Casey's and he did a much better job of mating up his intricate pattern, where my ribs just stopped at that point. MPC changed the van every year to reflect what Chrysler did.  Mine may be later date and they flattened the roof above the passengers so people could install sun roofs?

I'll throw it out there....   Hey Casey!  Let's have a build off!  I'll finish mine if you finish yours!   :D

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/5/2019 at 6:07 PM, Plastic_Passion said:

I've always wanted to do a van. Why I havent yet I dont know. But it's on the ole bucket list. Your work is incredible. How did you make the door frames? They look like they're part of the kit. This is awesome so far!!!

Prime time to just in, there is a community build going on right now, just started called Cannonball Run, and this year it is Vans. Come join in on the fun.