Model Cars Magazine Forum

Wasn't it the idea that kits were made to be built?

people who have kits that will never be built is a collector. I feel this is the guy who is more concerned about the dollar value that the build.

people who have kits that WILL be built is a hobbyist. this is the guy who can't wait to tear into the kit and slap some paint and glue on it.

just my humble opinion.

people who have kits that will never be built is a collector. I feel this is the guy who is more concerned about the dollar value that the build.

people who have kits that WILL be built is a hobbyist. this is the guy who can't wait to tear into the kit and slap some paint and glue on it.

just my humble opinion.

Those are about as good definitions as I've seen.

Not necessarily so! I have a big collection that I've acquired over the last 28 years. I've never sold anything to speak of, nor do I really keep track of what things are going for. I collect them because the thrill of the hunt is enjoyable and I enjoy owning them. I can spend a day in my model warehouse just opening boxes and playing. I have a few kits I'm looking for to complete series.

I also have a bunch of cool old stuff I'd never expect to build but I bought it just because it's cool and I enjoy showing it to people. Things like old balsa kits, some early plastic kits from the 1950s and kits from the lesser model companies I collect because the box art is neat.

Not necessarily so! I have a big collection that I've acquired over the last 28 years. I've never sold anything to speak of, nor do I really keep track of what things are going for. I collect them because the thrill of the hunt is enjoyable and I enjoy owning them. I can spend a day in my model warehouse just opening boxes and playing. I have a few kits I'm looking for to complete series.

I also have a bunch of cool old stuff I'd never expect to build but I bought it just because it's cool and I enjoy showing it to people. Things like old balsa kits, some early plastic kits from the 1950s and kits from the lesser model companies I collect because the box art is neat.

very well put Tom. I would put you in the "hobbyist" category just from this statement...

"I can spend a day in my model warehouse". to me, a collector ALWAYS knows the prices of every kit, usually by memory.

that is the first time I EVER heard it called a WAREHOUSE". next time you go playing, can I come along. I only have a "model closet"

"nor do I really keep track of what things are going for"

and if you don't mind me saying I absolutely love this statement...

I just ruined the value of a near virgin AMT 1967 Ford Falcon model kit in the last month. By building it. Don't get me wrong. It turned out great. In general I buy kits with the idea of building them. Some may never be built in my life time. But, when I buy them, I'm thinking about what they will be like when they are built. Not how much money they'll someday be worth.

Scott

I have many kits here I plan to build. Just not enough time to do it. But if someone needs a kit I can trade with the ones I no longer want to build. So I guess that makes me a collector , so be it. Not a big deal. But I have wanted a kit before and passed because I had to many in the closet. Now if I see it cheap I will pick one up rather than wait until it doubles in price five years later.

Anyone expecting to get rich on selling "rare" plastic are speculators. Might as well be in the stock market because they're real hobby is collecting money! I love when a long lost kit is reissued and kills the price gouging.

Round 2 or Revell, need a 68 Impala! I know, resin is an option. But even they can get stupid expensive on Ebay!

Edited by JohnU

Well I won't tell ya about the rare plastics that I've cut up over the years.... Most recent one being a Scrambler Rambler for a Modified. I know I have a ton of plastic but they all have a reason to be held onto, if not I let them go. To me it's only plastic, I've done it before and if it grabs my attention and I want to hack it up....well it's gonna get hacked!!! I've cut up a couple hundred dollar kits before and not afraid to do it again.... One car I did I made a guy cringe like no other when he saw what I did.......

Ken, you've seen what I have here, this is just what's in the garage. Got close if not over 500 kits... The Jo-Hans are in the basement.....

IMG_5946.jpg

Edited by DrKerry

Anyone expecting to get rich on selling "rare" plastic are speculators. Might as well be in the stock market because they're real hobby is collecting money! I love when a long lost kit is reissued and kills the price gouging.Round 2 or Revell, need a 68 Impala! I know, resin is an option. But even they can get stupid expensive on Ebay!

"He who seeks to make a small fortune selling model kits should first start with a large fortune." :-)

Yup, I've often wondered how many of these "speculators" or "hoarders" lost lots of $$$ when Round 2 decided to repop certain kits, and it no longer became necessary to spend $100+ on a rare original.

Still, if opportunity presents itself, I'd rather have an original made from good ol' USA styrene than one of the repops with Chinese plastic. I *do* want to build the kits that I buy, and I find it a lot easier to work with an original kit with little flash and original styrene, so I'm often willing to pay a little bit more if that's what it takes. Also, I've gone the "rebuilder" route before, buying up glue-bombs to restore, and I found that I don't enjoy the "restoration" process half as much as just plain building a nice kit that hasn't been tampered with.

"repop"ing old rare kits does not really decrease the value of the original, at least not in the long term, unless it was some marginal junk to begin with. take a look at Blue Beetles just for one example...the asking price for originals has gone up if anything. and it tends to do that with all worthwhile things. the price may take a hit for a while, perhaps a year or so, but then comes back. there really is nothing like the original in a lot of ways including the crispness of the parts and just the fact that it IS an original.

jb

If you can afford them, buy what you wan, and do what makes you happy. Life is too short.

Personally, I am not in the financial position to be purchasing those rare kits, but I do not have any problem with anyone who can afford to buy one. I have quite a collection, but I have come to the realization that I will not be able to build them all, so I am selling a lot of them off. There are a few that I will not sell, as I am definitely going to build them. Sometimes I can find a resin re-pop,rebuild-able polystyrene car, or a forlorn promo, and those are my preferences.

People who know me know I like big '60's cars, as that is what I grew up with, and I love pickup trucks.