Model Cars Magazine Forum

Who would of thunk , Hudson would be such a popular modeling topic ?

That is one beautiful automoble! :wub: Got a Franklin Mint die cast but would love this in plastc!

With a Franklin Mint diecast and a Modelhaus resin (as well as 1/18 scale versions for way cheap!) this should satisfy the market for Tuckers.

For those that would like to see a Tucker kit, Here's a few pictures of a real one.

IMG_0026_zpsfc3livwp.jpg

# 1022

IMG_0027_zpskhkxcqdd.jpg

IMG_0028_zpsqzdrme97.jpg

# 1026

IMG_0029_zps5mtabj8v.jpg

IMG_0030_zpsenqiplat.jpg

# 1001, the first Tucker off the assembly line.

Hope you enjoy them.

What a beautiful car. How can you NOT like it?

With a Franklin Mint diecast and a Modelhaus resin (as well as 1/18 scale versions for way cheap!) this should satisfy the market for Tuckers.

Not me, I have a very nice 1/18 diecast, a gift from a former pastor, not by Franklin Mint, but would love a plastic kit. I much prefer building my own, and resin kits are out of reach for me.

A Hudson PU doesn't look like it would be hard to scratchbuild. It looks like they just took a stock body and added the PU bed. Looks to me like some simple cutting on the body and a few pieces of sheet styrene, and there ya go.

Really ? :huh:hudson-truck.jpgFL10_r423_01.jpgAS13_r182_01.jpgPD_0025.jpg

Ok, not every Hudson PU. But one can be easily scratchbuilt using a currently available kit.

And BTW... I second a Tucker kit. A kit with only one version is a sales loser?

Silhouette... Mysterion... Tijuana Taxi... Boothill Express... L'il Coffin... Dragula... Munster's Coach... Raider's Coach... Monkeemobile... Batmobile... Green Hornet Imperial... the list goes on and on and on...

Obviously a "one version only" kit has been done–many times.

Ok, not every Hudson PU. But one can be easily scratchbuilt using a currently available kit.

And BTW... I second a Tucker kit. A kit with only one version is a sales loser?

Silhouette... Mysterion... Tijuana Taxi... Boothill Express... L'il Coffin... Dragula... Munster's Coach... Raider's Coach... Monkeemobile... Batmobile... Green Hornet Imperial... the list goes on and on and on...

Obviously a "one version only" kit has been done–many times.

Except for one thing: Every one of the kits mentioned were introduced 50 some years ago--a different time, a much different car modeling market, and an era of massive production runs of virtually every model car kit then on the market. Couple that simple fact with another one: There were FAR FEWER model car subjects available in the middle 1960's--probably less than 75 or so in 1/24-1/25 scale. Today, there are nearly as many available from just US-based model kit companies--and another couple of hundred (perhaps a few more) from overseas model companies. All these current model car subjects necessarily do compete for share of a market here in the US which while probably larger than many might think, is nowhere near the "fad" decade that was model car building in the 1960's.

In short, not every successful "one hit wonder" model car kit of a half-century ago is a very valid predictor of such a success with such a relatively obscure car subject in today's world as say, a 1948 Tucker Torpedo.

Art

Except for one thing: Every one of the kits mentioned were introduced 50 some years ago--a different time, a much different car modeling market, and an era of massive production runs of virtually every model car kit then on the market.

Oh good, Art beat me to it! I think the numbers were something like 500,000 kits being a normal run in the 1960s, where 50,000 today is a run away success!

Note that Moebius earned every sale of that Hudson and all of those different versions were what it took to justify and make a profit off a new tool in today's market.

well, I think if any new tool "grampa" car was going to be a hit, it would be the Tucker. everyone has heard of the Tucker, there was a movie made of it, a pretty successful movie. it was an innovative and ahead of its time concept in almost every way.

but instead I guess we have to be content with "one off versions" that that Tom Daniels stuff. or maybe a new Pacer for some real excitement.

jb

I love those Hudson pickups from the 1930s. It would be different- and think of all the neat hot-rods you could get out of them, plus the multitude of opportunities for light commercial and replica-stock builders.

I would also buy a Tucker or two. I always thought those were fascinating cars and deserve replication in plastic. The creative amongst us could modify the kit to replicate the replica Tuckers being made a while back that used FWD Cadillac Northstar drivetrains mounted out-back.

Charlie Larkin

Kit a Tucker, I'm in for several. Chopped and slammed, two-doored fender-skirted...how cool would that be? I'd like some Tucker engines to use in other stuff too. And I have zero interest in diecasts for the most part...kinda see them as toys, "collector items", or models for folks who can't or won't be bothered to build models.

The main reason I've bought several of the Hudson run and will buy several of the rest of them is because of the relative dearth of interesting '50s iron in kit form. I'd like to see '50s Buicks, Caddys, Ponchos, Lincolns and Mercs too. And mo' def a bullet-nose Stude.

Far as '70s iron goes, I lived through them as a young man and found most of the US cars built then to be as boring as machines could possibly be. I remember thinking all the plastic wood, stick-on curlicues and fake landau irons, etc, would have been appropriate in a low-rent bathroom...not on a car.

"Far as '70s iron goes, I lived through them as a young man and found most of the US cars built then to be as boring as machines could possibly be. I remember thinking all the plastic wood, stick-on curlicues and fake landau irons, etc, would have been appropriate in a low-rent bathroom...not on a car."

Exactly.....not to mention how poorly most of 'em ran.

Edited by mike 51

Kit a Tucker, I'm in for several. Chopped and slammed, two-doored fender-skirted...how cool would that be? I'd like some Tucker engines to use in other stuff too. And I have zero interest in diecasts for the most part...kinda see them as toys, "collector items", or models for folks who can't or won't be bothered to build models.

The main reason I've bought several of the Hudson run and will buy several of the rest of them is because of the relative dearth of interesting '50s iron in kit form. I'd like to see '50s Buicks, Caddys, Ponchos, Lincolns and Mercs too. And mo' def a bullet-nose Stude.

Far as '70s iron goes, I lived through them as a young man and found most of the US cars built then to be as boring as machines could possibly be. I remember thinking all the plastic wood, stick-on curlicues and fake landau irons, etc, would have been appropriate in a low-rent bathroom...not on a car.

Of course Bill--you could even do up the designed, but never built, Tucker Carioca convertible too! ;)

Art

I'm right there with you Bill! As far as I'm concerned, automotive styling died around 1973.

Steve

This/\

"Far as '70s iron goes, I lived through them as a young man and found most of the US cars built then to be as boring as machines could possibly be. I remember thinking all the plastic wood, stick-on curlicues and fake landau irons, etc, would have been appropriate in a low-rent bathroom...not on a car."

Exactly.....not to mention how poorly most of 'em ran.

This too, I don't remember them new, but am still old enough to remember them slowly rotting to death and a kid and teen, outside of the Vans, Vettes, TAs, trucks, and the Monoco cop cars, there is nothing else interests me from that era.........and keep in mind, I bought at least 1/2 a dozen '88 Shelby Z Daytonas when those were last reissued!

BOP ! '55-'58 ;)1957Buick_02_700.jpg1955_Pontiac_Star_Chief_Custom_Safari.jp1955_Pontiac_Safari-3_edited.jpg94b0fefe8dd1c00a64b88069d0302c28.jpg

For some reason, the first thing I think of seeing the pic of the '55 Hornet Custom Hollywood is "blown Stude 289"...or maybe a DeSoto hemi with two 4-bbls, or better yet, three 2-bbls.

By '57, the game was about over...

1957_Hudson_Hornet_Hollywood_2-door.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

For some reason, the first thing I think of seeing the pic of the '55 Hornet Custom Hollywood is "blown Stude 289"...or maybe a DeSoto hemi with two 4-bbls, or better yet, three 2-bbls.

By '57, the game was about over...

1957_Hudson_Hornet_Hollywood_2-door.jpg

I guess the only problem with expecting a '55-'57 Hudson is the fact that it was nothing more than a "glorified" Nash.

I'm guessing it would require a completely new tool.

Definitely not worth it! :D

Steve