Model Cars Magazine Forum

The International Model Car Builders' Museum, Sandy Utah.

Last week we went to the GSL, early afternoon on Saturday offered three tour buses to the museum, at 1:00PM, 2:00 and 3:00. Unfortunately the first bus had a small accident with a semi, and messed up all the schedule. The important thing is that nobody was hurt! So we drove to Sandy, Utah, where the museum is located.

The museum is pack with models and other model car related items, from parts to boxes, awards, there is also a box that was used by Revell to send out models.

I wish I had more time to look carefully to each models, but we arrived there around 3:15.

And glad I made there, because there was a car on fire before the exit, and the fire fighter arrived with us pretty much... You could feel the heat on the third lane!!! Glad my rental car did not melt... :D

IMG_7422.jpg

The museum.

11169761_973011229400257_817280413241782

11194408_973009999400380_590351914646255

11174200_973010042733709_500912051796291

11164550_973010046067042_120371710569624

11200988_973010116067035_624298203949601

11174244_973010112733702_719147064003297

11112226_973010156067031_265020186142018

11059635_973010186067028_687216282037807

11109195_973010179400362_301230892982177

Fabrizio - I was pleased to meet you at GSL, and see your fantastic work in person. My favorite is the Janice Joplin Porsche, first for it's uniqueness and flawless execution, and second because I was able to watch you build it step by step here on the board! It certainly earned your GSL award! Congratulations!

And now for the brief commercial--

The International Model Car Builders Museum is a magical place! Mark Gustavson and his team have spent the last 30 years researching the history of our hobby, finding and contacting the builders of influential models of the past and often acquiring those for the museum collection. In short, many of the iconic models, those that appeared in magazines and contests in the early years of our hobby are in the collection and on display. These are models we remember reading about as kids, and influenced the styles we built and how the art progressed over time.

A side story... when I first got back to the hobby as an adult, I wanted to build a project of all eight of the Nascar Compact Class Valiants, so I ran an ad in Scale Auto Enthusiast Magazine, "Valiants, Valiants Anywhere?" wanting to buy Valiant models. I got good response, and it being 28 years ago the models weren't that expensive, and people often just mailed me old built ups and parts kits for free. The puzzling thing for me, was that every third first generation Valiant model (1960-62) had the rear end lopped off. I had no idea why, until a long time modeling friend of mine brought me Car Modeler Issue One, which featured Dave Shuklis's Bobtail Cat model. The most striking feature is that Dave had cut the rear off the model. Mystery solved, and that demonstrates how influential the magazine cars were to the average modeler back in 1962. And back then, little did I know that I would participate in the restoration of the Bobtail Cat and be able to actually hold it in my hands! (Al Raab did the restoration, I provided parts from my extensive Valiant parts hoard!). Look above at the photo of the Dave Shuklis models and the Bobtail Cat is the red Valiant up front. So again, the museum is full of valuable historical memories!

As such, this collection needs and deserves the full support of the modeling community. The museum is perceptually in fund raising mode, just barely keeping the collection in it's space and intact! They need your support! The museum is currently a fantastic day for those of us fortunate enough to attend GSL and get to Salt Lake City, Utah, but the fact that this is all of our history makes it relevant to all of us. There are plans to create a virtual museum online, where folks from around the world will be able to tour the collection and learn this valuable history. And that all comes down to funding.

The Tri-State Scale Model Car Club and NNL East are enthusiastic supporters of the museum and we are brushing off our Grow The Hobby Challenge to clubs and shows world wide. In our original challenge, we pledged that we'd donate $1 per paid NNL East show admission to the museum. We have done this for about the past ten years. We hereby challenge the hobby to match this pledge. A dollar per admission allows every show to donate to their own scale and ability. But if every show we know participated the museum would be greatly funded and would be able to move forward on projects that would greatly benefit our hobby. Clubs that don't have shows could do a fund raising event, like a donation auction, at a meeting once a year, donating the profits to the museum.

There are many clubs and individuals who do support the museum now, and that's the very reason why it exists. Still there's much more we can all do. Do we have who will answer this challenge?

Edited by Tom Geiger

What Tom said, x2. Get involved. This museum is our hobby, our legacy. If we don't support it, no one will It's up to us - the people reading this board. Please support the museum with your generous contributions and make it a bucket list priority to visit the museum in person. It's an experience will never, ever forget.

Thanks...TIM

Edited by tim boyd

I need to go there. What sucks for me in this hobby is my location on the earth! I'm near nothing, no big contests or shows. I attend one contest a year. Lol. I did however place in the top ten in the 01 custom clinic photo contest. I am hoping our take a turn torino project could find its way into the museum someday.

Fabrizio - I was pleased to meet you at GSL, and see your fantastic work in person. My favorite is the Janice Joplin Porsche, first for it's uniqueness and flawless execution, and second because I was able to watch you build it step by step here on the board! It certainly earned your GSL award! Congratulations!

Tom, was great to meeting you too, glad you like Janis Porsche. :) I hope to be able to come at your show next year, I can't promise nothing though.

I need to go there. What sucks for me in this hobby is my location on the earth! I'm near nothing, no big contests or shows. I attend one contest a year. Lol. I did however place in the top ten in the 01 custom clinic photo contest. I am hoping our take a turn torino project could find its way into the museum someday.

Fred, you are closer to Salt Lake than I am! There's no model show that isn't but one plane ride away! Go for it!

Donations to the museum can be made by personal check to:

The International Model Car Builders' Museum

and sent to the following address:

International Model Car Builder's Museum

10271 South 1300 East
PMB 131
Sandy, Utah 84094

Please think about it and send a donation today...even small amounts are helpful.

Your hobby will thank you for it!

Cheers....TIM

I wonder if they have considered setting up a paypal account to receive donations, there are also a few other "Crowd funding" internet services that could be considered.

I'm not an expert on them, I've just heard about them.

Most modellers can spare $5 these days...that's usually the cost of a small vial of paint, if there was a way for them to easily donate $5 through a crowd funding internet app, it's possible the response may be surprising.