Model Cars Magazine Forum

ALCLADE II LACQUER..PROS & CONS..

I love the stuff ... I use the Chrome, Brass and Aluminium

The technique I use it get a good finish on the high shine Alclad's is to get a smooth high shine black basecoat, I either use Revell or Testors black gloss enamel thinned out with lacquer thinners, then put the Alclad on using a 0.3 needle airbrush set to around 15 p.s.i and use the airbrush like a brush and try not to spray it like you would with a regular model paint, it's best to do it in light coats, let them dry in between coats, once you get the high shine, stop putting the Alclad on, otherwise it will start to loose the shine,

The Alclad black base I find is fairly forgiving too. Covers nice and smooth and thin, which is why the chrome overlay will show any scratch that hasn't been smoothed.

I bought a bottle of that at the IMPS Nationals, I'll give it a go when I do my next lot of Alclad ...

Which colors? I use the chrome and aluminum finishes regularly and like them a lot. The chrome takes some practice, though, as it requires a very smooth black base. They are quite durable, especially compared to MM metalizers.

I use both products and never had a problem with MM metalizers .. I've heavily buffed and masked them on many projects, just like alclads they have their correct process of applieing them.