Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 AMT 1973 Chevy Custom Van - Dirty Donny VANTASY

Actually, the A-Team kits (as well as most of the 1/1's) were also sliding door vans....

Yup, absolutely. MY mistake. I had all of my old vans kits out looking at all of the variances, and it's the DODGE that has the bi-folds. Thanks for the correction. So, it seems as though the biggest differences between the A-Team and the new/old Vantasy are the side and roof ribs, license plate recess in the rear door on the Vantasy, and the GMC parts in the A-Team version.

Mike

It's interesting that the reinforcing ribs couldn't have been included in the "New " van kit . I can see the deletion of the Charicter rib in the side as the 71-77's didn't have this feature . Also, if you have access to the side door on a 1-1 van , there was a difference in the way the indentation was made at the outside door handle . I guess I'll have to see which dash board was used as it too changed in 1974. Ed Shaver

It's interesting that the reinforcing ribs couldn't have been included in the "New " van kit . I can see the deletion of the Charicter rib in the side as the 71-77's didn't have this feature . Also, if you have access to the side door on a 1-1 van , there was a difference in the way the indentation was made at the outside door handle . I guess I'll have to see which dash board was used as it too changed in 1974. Ed Shaver

Ah-Ha! I was begining to think I was imagening things with that part of the side door :o Looked like it was backwards (as in flipped or reversed) from what the later 1/1 Vans I grew up around had :huh: The roof rib thing is a head scratcher, since the addition actually made the kit more accurate :blink: I'd be surprised of they changed the dash then too Ed, if they didn't bother updating it for the A-Team version back in the day............ :rolleyes:

BTW, thanks for the input!

Edited by Joe Handley

Billy, having to do door adjustments on both Ford and Chevrolet vans was to me a pain in the neck. Guys would inadvertently buy the "Door extenders" and then they couldn't get the side door to latch. Meanwhile , cause I retailed a lot of stuff, I got to go outside the shop and repair THEIR repairs . In the years I owned Art- Forms design, it was both a blessing and a complete head ache at the same time . Ed Shaver

Looks like the kit has the '71-73 style dash. That part was never updated for the A-Team version IIRC. Now the Revell kit that is coming soon has the '74 dash, I've heard (never had one of the Revell kits).

Edited by Rob Hall

Billy, having to do door adjustments on both Ford and Chevrolet vans was to me a pain in the neck. Guys would inadvertently buy the "Door extenders" and then they couldn't get the side door to latch. Meanwhile , cause I retailed a lot of stuff, I got to go outside the shop and repair THEIR repairs . In the years I owned Art- Forms design, it was both a blessing and a complete head ache at the same time . Ed Shaver

I can't imagine what those massive side doors would be like to align Ed, how many guys would that take?

I am curious on the side and roof ribs on the 1/1 '71-'77 Vans now though

Not sure if you can make out the raised roof ribs on this GMC or not:

GMCTruckinAd.jpg

...and here's a semi-decent shot of the passenger side of the same GMC shorty:

GMCTruckinAd2.jpg

Edited by Casey

even with an opening hood, you can barely see much more than the radiator on one of these. most didn't have side windows so having a detailed interior was hardly worth the effort. they're blank canvas for side murals, mostly... but i remember a lot of guys going full tilt boogie on them and opening the doors, hood, even opening the roof and adding full interiors back in the heyday.

even with an opening hood, you can barely see much more than the radiator on one of these. most didn't have side windows so having a detailed interior was hardly worth the effort. they're blank canvas for side murals, mostly... but i remember a lot of guys going full tilt boogie on them and opening the doors, hood, even opening the roof and adding full interiors back in the heyday.

Which is exactly how Revell designed their 1/25 custom van kits- with a lift off roof to allow the interior to be easily viewed.

It is difficult to see much engine detail through the hood opening, so a removable engine cover is a must if you want to show off the engine on a van model.

my peeve with Revell's product from that timeframe is inaccurate chassis and running gear on their trucks, and their habit of using the same frame and running gear on several different kits, all of them supposedly heavy duty working trucks.... that gave me pause in buying their stuff for years afterward. i missed out on their van series and the truck/van accessory parts packs that came out because of that. maybe if we'd had some sort of shared information network in those days?

Curt , you sure you aren't confusing A M T's Van and then Monogram's , now Revell's stuff. I only say that on account of the Monogram Short wheel base that Revell is re-popping has a molded open grille , a accurate for the model dash and at least closer to the truth than A M T's Long wheel base variant with out roof ribs I might add. Either way, you'll wind up filing off the molded wheel flairs on Revell's variant .You;ll wind up adding roof ribs to A M T's and then if you need an accurate dash beyond a 73 on the A M T, uh get to scratch building ............. Ed Shaver

sorry Ed, i was referring to the Chevy truck-based kits, the vans were an unfortunate casualty of being disappointed with kits like Midnite Express, etc, with generic smallblock engines and non-typical frames. i was so peeved with those i swore off Revell kits for a long time and missed some of their really accurate stuff.

the vantasy won't have roof ribs? shoot; i thought they were ALWAYS on vans.... so... ahhhh... hmm. curiouser and curiouser.

I'm planning out a build-up of the new Vantasy, and eye-balling the decal sheets. I'd thought of doing a Candy/Emerald Green paintjob, and using the green panel decals........until......??.........my decal sheet has two passenger-side green panels!!......no driver's side. One of the decals has a cut-out for the sliding side door handle, and the other doesn't. Has AMT since revised this, or, are all of them this way?

.....compare the green panels to the correctly-printed purple/pink versions below them on the same sheet in the pic.

Mike

IMG_3397.jpg