Model Cars Magazine Forum

Want to talk about stalled projects!?!?!

FASTBACK340

While rummaging around looking for one thing, I found another…….

This was (supposed to be….) my 2K `tona, to have been ready for the 2000 show season. As you can see, I did a "bit" of work and walked away from it. In retrospect, it's a cool idea but a so-so execution. The rear-end proportions are too long, and the cabin is too narrow. I might just make a bizarro Bonneville car out of it. There's some neat pieces I might scavenge if I scuttle this project all together.

I started with a Revell Pro-Modeler Daytona kit and wedge-sectioned it down the middle into a 2 seat, open wheel, rear engined, 12 cylinder overhead cam Hemi roadster. I'll admit this was never intended to be a "Quick Build".

post-222-0-59798700-1390152176_thumb.jpg

I used two engines from the Pro Street Coronet kit sectioned into a 12 cylinder. I never decided on an in-line 3 X 4Bbl. or a more aggressive 4 X 4 Bbl. cross-ram. This would look good in, say….a `62 Lancer.

post-222-0-48880800-1390152685_thumb.jpg

Back when I had more free time, I used to try and build working features. This is an in-scale operating rack & pinion. The tie-rod rack is a piece of solid aluminum rod with teeth cut into it from the Dremel bit placed next to it.

post-222-0-37104400-1390152813_thumb.jpg

When assembled, it worked exactly like the real thing. I was going to epoxy wire to be used as the tie-rods into the ends so it would flex with the operating in-board shocks I had planned, like so many other things….

post-222-0-51013400-1390152927_thumb.jpg

I don't even want to add up all the photo-etch, billet, and RB Motion bags I had stashed with it. And nuts & bolts and a bundle of brass. How can I have this stuff and not remember half of it?!? Let me see how I feel about it in a day or three about finishing it…… :unsure:

Edited by FASTBACK340