Model Cars Magazine Forum

Embossing Powder

I bought 0.60 OZ containers of black & White about 2 years ago.

Nick

Edit: and as far as how far it goes I average about 16-18 builds a year. So I've built 34-36 in the last two years and only half used the black, the white it about a 1/4 used

Edited by Nick Winter

This is finer than using flocking, so the embossing powder goes along way, I have already used it on at least 5 models and still have about 1/2 the container left, and it is a 1 ounce bottle. I apply glue to the surface with a brush, sprinkle the embossing powder, make sure area is coated well, then shake off the rest and let dry. I only use the white color, as I apply paint to the entire area after the glue is dry.

Yea I checked my Michael's today. That it what sparked it. Sadly, their selection was rather small. Must be the demographics.

So 1 oz. can go a long way. I wont be using it on every model, just hear and there.

Awesome. Thanks for the help guys.

Yea I checked my Michael's today. That it what sparked it. Sadly, their selection was rather small. Must be the demographics.

So 1 oz. can go a long way. I wont be using it on every model, just hear and there.

Awesome. Thanks for the help guys.

James, I got mine at Michaels, I use the Stampendous Embossing Powder, Midnight Black mostly, was well worth the $4 something.

Nick

Check with your local Michaels store , they carry it in various sizes and a multitude of colors .

Just picked up two containers of the ebony colored embossing powder from Michaels for $.99 each. IIRC the ebony color was the only one which looked fine enough to pass a 1/25 scale carpet when I looked at them all.

• 1 year later...

I just spent a half hour searching these sections for help with embossing powder. Older threads are useless because the photos are all long gone... so here's my question.

I was at Michael's the other day and wanted to by some embossing powder. I got confused because there are different types and colors. The small bottles aren't sealed so I could twist off the caps to check out the texture. There are some that are finer than sand, more like silt. And then there are ones in little balls, almost like micro balloons. Past the recommendation of the texture to use, I'd also like to know what color to buy, or if that's important at all since we're painting over it anyway... I mean like, are there any colors to avoid? Like the ones with metal flake like bits?

It would be great if someone could post a photo of the one they use. Thanks!

Tom, here are a few pics of what I did with the "fine grain" embossing powder. That's what you want to use instead of the larger stuff. IMO, this to me looks better than flocking as it seems more in scale for 1/24-25. Flocking is OK........but to me works better for larger scales such as 1/16 and up.

Take a look............

P5262989-vi.jpg

P5262990-vi.jpg

P4162961-vi.jpg

P5212982-vi.jpg

That's the interior out of my '63 Ford Cougar II build-----and yes, I did pick this up at Michael's. Yeah, stay away from the types that have little silver flecks in it------it will certainly not look right in your interior! Mine appears to have those flecks, but it doesn't. It's just the lighting and the digicam that makes it appear so.

Hope this helps!

I picked some up at Michaels too .. the 2 on left are fine and the right one looks too coarse once I opened it.

embossing%20powder%20DSC_1536_zpss8uzjef

embossing%20powder%20DSC_1537_zpsrgh7m9q

Here it is applied in a Porsche 944 .. I used the white powder and painted with a thinned semi-gloss with a brush.

embossing%20powder%20DSC_1538_zps51s8zeu

I bought these on line a while back for I believe it was around $17.00. Just about any color you could ever need. I don't paint mine, I paint the background & then mix my powder colors to what I want. I used these on both my '58 Ford & '65 Chrysler 300 builds & they worked great. I also just use thinned Elmers glue. Steve

DSCN3664_zps13xderfh.jpgDSCN3873_zpsjwjeolnv.jpgDSCN3708_zpsc3e9dcaf.jpg

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

Thanks a million guys! That's exactly the answer I was looking for. Steve, where did you get that big Hampton Art sleeve?

Mike- That Recollections brand big black balls is the one I was referring to. Thanks for letting me know not to buy it.

Bill G- Hoping to see you at NNL East.

I recently tried Empossing Powder based on the post you mentioned. I got a product called Zing from Joanns Fabrics. It is a very fine texture. What I did different is to glue down the powder and let dry. I then lightly spray painted it the color I wanted for the carpet, Testors Fiery Orange to match part of the exterior. Then sprayed it with a flat clear. It turned out very nice to my eye.

Thanks a million guys! That's exactly the answer I was looking for. Steve, where did you get that big Hampton Art sleeve?

Mike- That Recollections brand big black balls is the one I was referring to. Thanks for letting me know not to buy it.

Bill G- Hoping to see you at NNL East.

I found it on ebay Tom. It's a little deceiving though. The bottles are not as big as you may think! but I recently used it on my '58 Ford & figured that each bottle would probably do at least 10 or 15 kits! With 16 jars, that's a lot of kits! Just go to ebay & search for "embossing powder" & you'll get a million hits! The "Hampton Art" stuff comes in several different sets. Pastels, neons, etc. The one I got is metallic. I have some of the "Zing" stuff from hobby lobby too. Same thing, just not as many color options as the Hampton Art ones. Amazon carries it as well. Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

Steven, how do you apply the embossing powders?? Do you use a strainer or do you just sprinkle it over the diluted Elmer's glue from the jar??

I tried using a small kitchen strainer but the powder is so fine it just ran through like water! :) I found it works just as well to just dump it on, slosh it around & dump off the excess. Make sure you save the "overflow" of course. Steve