Model Cars Magazine Forum

So What does Revell Have up Their Sleeves?

This is by no means a accurate representation of the sales of that kit, but the one at my local Hobby Lobby has dust on it from sitting there so long.

Well in a way that's Hobby Lobby's problem not Revell's. As far as Revell goes they sold the kit. Now they may be hearing from various distributors that they themselves aren't selling them, and don't they dare make another large scale dust collector, they will not pre-order it.

I don't think the problem was so much the "large scale" part of it, but that they picked the new mustang as the subject. I for one don't care for it, and there really isn't a lot that can be done to it unless its a total scratch build ( not worth the money to by the kit ) I think it's a pretty narrow demographic of buyers who want a showroom mustang taking up their shelf.

Just my two cents, could be way off...

Maybe they made the money back, or maybe not ...... Lindberg had to make something like 60 all new parts and remake about a dozen more that were changed for SRT 8 version. If you guys want the full story on the Lindberg Police Charger we should probably start a new thread unless there is an old one we can dig up.

I didn't mean to hijack this from the Revell question but the Police Charger was the only one I could remember the sales figures on. The only Revell kit I had any involvement with was of the M-K Limited releases and those are typically 3000 - 5000 kits. I have no idea on current Revell sales figures.

Steve

Wow! Those production comparisons are shocking. It is a wonder that model companies bother to manufacter a new kit at all.

There is no wonder then that they may opt not to do a trade show if indeed espenses are not worth it.

Honestly, that is shocking how low those numbers are.

Wow! Those production comparisons are shocking. It is a wonder that model companies bother to manufacter a new kit at all.

There is no wonder then that they may opt not to do a trade show if indeed espenses are not worth it.

Honestly, that is shocking how low those numbers are.

True dat.

B)

In talking with Revell, I have no idea why Hobbico, their parent, decided not to attend IHOBBY this year. I have my own ideas, but I have no way to verify if I am right or not.

At last year's IHOBBY there was a lot of empty "booths", but no reasons why.

Unless I missed it in the discussions above, an important part of IHOBBY is the "public" days, Saturday and Sunday. This is where people are introduced to the hobby or their experiences elevated. Revell, as some other manufacturers, are still supporting Make and Take. This is a fantastic way to get kids interested in plastic kits and hopefully get them shopping.

Whatever the reasons for not having a booth, they didn't drop Make and Take. As to how they'll announce, I've heard rumors, but haven't substantiated them. If I can substantiate any, I'll post what I learn.

I was thinking they might do a companion 1/12 New ('12?) Camaro to go along with the Shelby, but I don't see that happening to be honest.

I guess we'll await the '13 kit announcements via facebook in early October.

If that were the case I would pre-order 2 cases of 1:12 Camaros right now!!! would be really cool to have it in 1:12, but I doubt that it will happen

Revell's FB page today announced that because they can't contain their excitement (or some such thing) the announcements have been rescheduled for MONDAY morning rather than Thursday.

They must be planning to show up at Toledo on Saturday then and knew the news would be leaked all over by the end if the week?

Edited by niteowl7710

I wouldn't hold my breath. According to the podcast interview with Ed Sexton that was recently posted to this forum, he said he didn't see much opportunity in producing larger scale kits.

and yet Revell / Monogram continues to re-release their "Big" Tee series stuff ( and it sells off the shelf).

The new Camaro does not float my boat but if they would do a 1/12 427 Shelby Cobra, i would think they would have a worldwide winner.

joe.

The new Camaro does not float my boat but if they would do a 1/12 427 Shelby Cobra, i would think they would have a worldwide winner.

joe.

!/12th ? You don't like the MPC 1/16th scale offering?

Revell's FB page today announced that because they can't contain their excitement (or some such thing) the announcements have been rescheduled for MONDAY morning rather than Thursday.

They must be planning to show up at Toledo on Saturday then and knew the news would be leaked all over by the end if the week?

If they show up at the Toledo show it will be on here before Sunday morning ! LOL

Sounds like it, and it looks like the '70 Hemi Cuda, a '50 Mercury, (and I think the red car is a) Fox Mustang Coupe are all new kits for 2013:

Now, who's bringing a camera to Toledo this weekend? :D

Sounds like it, and it looks like the '70 Hemi Cuda, a '50 Mercury, (and I think the red car is a) Fox Mustang Coupe are all new kits for 2013:

Now, who's bringing a camera to Toledo this weekend? :D

I'll will have my digital camera there tomorrow and I'll be taking plenty of photos. Although it's not hinted on their Facebook page I'm going to go out on a limb and predict were also getting a Hardtop version of the 70-72 Olds Cutlass. My guess it's the Sports Coupe and not the formal looking Supreme model. No insider info, just an educated guess.

-Steve

I'm going to go out on a limb and predict were also getting a Hardtop version of the 70-72 Olds Cutlass. My guess it's the Sports Coupe and not the formal looking Supreme model. No insider info, just an educated guess.

I hope you're right, Steve, as I'd prefer that version over the formal roof, and Revell has recently discontinued the 'verts.

Looking forward to both you and Pat taking and sharing some pics. :)

*whistles innocently*

I read that suggestion/guess in the comments on Revell's facebook page (maybe it was yours? :D ), and it would be a great idea. The Mod Squad kit from Aurora is still highly sought after, and if a woody can be based on the '49 custom tooling, even better.