Model Cars Magazine Forum

wheel sizes

I've noticed that many Revell wheels, especially their best racing style 'mags' from these kits: 64Tbolt, 67&69 charger, 32 ford, 41 willys, etc. won't fit AMT slicks or my Modelhaus resin slicks as they are too big. Are the Revell wheels modeled after larger 1:1 wheels or is it a different molding technique? (I was trying to fit the revell wheels into a modelhaus whitewall slick for an old school look) Thanks, Steve.

Most of the AMT catalog of kits were made 25 years ago or more (same with Revell actually). They didn't have the advanced tools that they have today when making a kit and in a lot of cases their scale may have been off. At 1/25, 1 millimeter is 1 scale inch. So measuring across the inner diameter of the tire, you might get a idea which tire is closer to scale.

I've noticed that many Revell wheels, especially their best racing style 'mags' from these kits: 64Tbolt, 67&69 charger, 32 ford, 41 willys, etc. won't fit AMT slicks or my Modelhaus resin slicks as they are too big. Are the Revell wheels modeled after larger 1:1 wheels or is it a different molding technique? (I was trying to fit the revell wheels into a modelhaus whitewall slick for an old school look) Thanks, Steve.

Revell, of course, was bought up by Monogram almost 25 years ago, and once that happened, over time, a lot of kits bearing the Revell brand, if newly tooled in 1/25 scale, actually used the older, but readily available Monogram 1/24 scale tires from tooling cut at Monogram over the years (Monogram, you may recall, was the bastion of 1/24 scale model car kits from the early 1960's until their now iconic 1959 Cadillac Eldorado convertible kit of 1992). This meant that newly tooled Revell kits from the merger with Monogram, until the early-mid 1990's had larger diameter wheels than would have been correct for 1/25 scale model kits. Even after their decision to tool new kits of American mass-production cars in 1/25 scale, Revell-Monogram chose to continue offering most all their racing cars (Nascar, Drag Cars, Sports-Racing cars) in 1/24 scale, to keep them compatible looking with past product.

It seems to me that Modelhaus does suggest what wheels work with each of their tires, do they not? If not, then I've missed something along the way here.

But, at the bottom line: Most every model company has their own standard for model kit tire and wheel compatibility. While Revell AMT MPC and JoHan, for example each produced model car kits in 1/25 scale of cars which were built with 15" or 14" tires in real life, in model kit form, they all used the same inner and outer diameters for whatever tire they individually produced, and back in the 60's, the tires of model company A generally fit the wheels from model companies, B C and D rather poorly, and often not at all--just different designers and different engineers and different pattern makers; each company's team doing it "their way". For both competitive reasons, and with at least a nod toward the "Anti-trust" laws here in the US, no effort was ever really expended by any of the model companies to make their wheels and tires interchange readily between kits--any interchangeability was probably co-incidental.

As an additional thought here: Model companies (and this includes diecast producers as well, at least the more popular priced brands) have seldom wanted to invest serious money into creating a wide variety of tires for use in their kits. For years, most all the model car kits within any one company have been made around those tires available in that company's "tooling library". As one who's done a bit of product development, it can be awfully hard to get upper management to commit serious tooling dollars for a new tire mold, when there are existing tire tools in the library that are still more than usable, unless said new tire is necessary in order to have noticeably correct tires in a proposed new kit. And even at that, management is more than likely to ask some hard questions, not the least of which would be "what other model car kits will this new tire be used in?", and that can be a pretty tough question to overcome.

Art

The Revell '64 T-bolt Radir and Keystone Kustomag Klassic wheels are unique in that they feel/look like 1/24 scale wheels. If you want to use these wheels with a vintage style racing slick, I suggest you find a set of slicks from the Monogram Boot Hill Express, Lil Coffin'. Lil T Bucket, or similar kits. These slicks have a separate sidewall insert and the '64 T-bolt wheels slip right inside the inserts with a very small reduction of the wheel's O.D. The matching wheels are a bit funky as they support the insert once it's inside the tire, but it can be modified to work.

The M&H slicks indside the '64 T-bolt kit aren't too shabby, either, from what I recall.