Model Cars Magazine Forum

Rollin', Rollin', Rollin' down the river...

Here's my "King of the Mississippi" paddlewheel steamer by Artesania Latina. This is the kit:

Miss1.jpg

And here's what I did with it:

3.jpg

I went "rogue" and laid the floor planks in a herringbone pattern on the upper deck, contrary to what the instructions instructed me to do:

7.jpg

The twin spiral staircases were a pain... you have to soak the pieces in water to soften them up, then bend them around a form of the correct diameter, then let the curved pieces dry, then assemble the staircases. A major PITA, but they turned out ok:

2.jpg

9.jpg

The balusters are photoetched brass, I added the round caps on the handrails (they're actually map pins):

10.jpg

1-1.jpg

And the "business end"...

6.jpg

This was one of the most enjoyable model projects I've ever done. Working with wood (instead of plastic) was a terrific change of pace, and after I finished this one, I was so stoked that I bought several more wooden ship kits, including the Santa Maria (which I will photograph and post sometime soon).

It's a challenge. There are a LOT of pieces, and many of them you have to make yourself. They give you the raw material, you have to cut, shape, carve, bend, etc. to make the finished part. But it sure was fun! B)

Wow, thanks for sharing that, Harry. Is it all wood? I just seen that kit at my LHS yesterday and was interested in it, but it was on the upper shelf and I didn't want to knock myself out getting it down, it was heavy! B)

It's all wood for the most part, along with photoetched brass (all the balusters on the handrails, the door hinges, etc.), diecast metal (the windows and shutters and doors, the trim on the top of the wheelhouse, the stove in the wheelhouse, etc.), machined brass (the bell, the "rings" on the smokestacks where the rigging is attached, the caps on the rear stacks, etc.), brass fittings wherever the rigging is tied down, and clear acetate (the window panes on the wheelhouse)... and an assortment of different string and thread for the rigging. A real "multi-media" kit, but about 95% wood.

Harry, that is sweet! I went to SUNY Maritime for my first year of college, and loved to look at the builder's models of ships displayed at school. (While there, I built a shipload of ship models in my limited spare time.) My dad died while I was there, so never ended up on the seas for a living. Hope to see more of your ship models.

Main reason the Federal government stopped these recently is because of all the wood they contain. Too bad, used to love to watch the Delta Queen and others on the Mississippi River here in Memphis.

Great job on it, HP

I concur - it does look super good!

On another note - can you polease expand on your statement - "Main reason the Federal government stopped these recently is because of all the wood they contain"? I am afraid of whatyour answer is going to be but I have to ask.. B) do you mean that they mandated the stopping of the use of these vessels? :lol::lol::lol:

I concur - it does look super good!

On another note - can you polease expand on your statement - "Main reason the Federal government stopped these recently is because of all the wood they contain"? I am afraid of whatyour answer is going to be but I have to ask.. :D do you mean that they mandated the stopping of the use of these vessels? B):):)

They can't have overnight cruises, though they can have short day and dinner cruises and act as a shuttle. Here's the story regarding the Delta Queen, which was moved from Memphis to Chattanooga:

...Ambassadors continues searching for a buyer to operate it as an overnight cruise vessel.

The company will also continue pursuing a congressional exemption for the 82-year old vessel since federal law prohibits it from operating overnight cruise voyages without an exemption due to its wooden superstructure.