Model Cars Magazine Forum

Trumpeter 1/12 scale Ford GT40

MrObsessive

I just found out through a reliable source that there's a 1/12 scale Ford GT40 kit coming!!

Trumpeter's going to make it...........let's hope they get this one really right as this is another one of my favorite road racers of the '60's! And yes, given the price of some of their past stuff, it won't be necessarily cheap! :o But should be worth it!

Now maybe they can squeeze out a Daytona Cobra Coupe in 1/12?? :o I hope they're not teasing us with this one as it does show a Mark II 427 in the online catalog!

Check out Trumpeter's website over here.

Scroll down a bit to see it..................Dialup beware!! :o

Trumpeter? Trumpeter?

Not exactly confidence-inspiring, to say the least. We may find more info. on this kit when Matthew Wells from SMS meets w/Trumpeter in the next month. So far nobody knows anthing about the model, other than some rumor (and only that) that it could be an unassembled GMP diecast kit.

Trumpeter? Trumpeter?

Not exactly confidence-inspiring, to say the least. We may find more info. on this kit when Matthew Wells from SMS meets w/Trumpeter in the next month. So far nobody knows anthing about the model, other than some rumor (and only that) that it could be an unassembled GMP diecast kit.

That's what I was wondering Bob.......if it'll be another unassembled diecast and not a full on plastic kit. :P

Their website doesn't say so.....(well it probably does in Japanese! :P ) but let's hope it's in plastic-------that is if it will materialize at all. ;)

I'm not getting my hopes up until I can see it in person after the '60 Pontiac/'78 Monte Carlo debacle. :rolleyes:

And why such a weird scale? I don't understand that at all. I think that the engine will look mighty nice in that scale. I think Mr. Obsessives detailing would be out of this world.

1/12 is not a weird scale to big scale builders, especially of this type of subject matter. Those who build 1/12 racing cars (especially sports cars) are fanatics, they love the scale and detail. Fujimi covered the market more than adequately with their 1/24 GT40's, and the aftermarket took care of adding engine detail to their curbside kits. In addition to a small but rabid kit market in 1/12, it's also represented by a few diecast manufacturers as well.

This is the first time Trumpeter has actually made a wise decision when it comes to subject matter and scale. IF they execute it properly, and IF the market accepts it, and IF it sells enough to make a profit, they'll have a ready and willing market to sell more of them to. However, from past experience w/Trumpeter, I don't have much confidence in them doing this kit justice, if it is indeed an all-new kit from the ground up. They're already at a disadvantage from people who know how poorly they executed their first model cars. If they don't get the GT40 1000% correct, they'll be crucified in the marketplace. They never gave themselves a chance for success with their other model cars, since they botched them from the outset. We have no idea that if they had executed them properly they would have sold enough to be successful. Nobody will know for sure. This is another risky adventure for them. It's an odd subject for them, as they have no previous experience with 1/12 scale model cars. I wish them luck. Not only will they need that, but they'll need more skill/brains/talent overseeing the project during all phases of development than they've shown in the past. Corner-cutting will only doom the project from the outset.

Well an unassembled GMP wouldn't be catastrophic news to me - sign me up in fact, 'specially if it's $200 or less - but along with most, I'd certainly prefer all-new plastic tooling, especially if it's within about 90% of a comparable Tamiya twelfth-scaler.

The relative merits of Trumpeter's foray into 1/25 are actually debatable. Yes, the kits were visibly off, and the engineering deteriorated by the time the Monte Carlo was released. They flung hundreds of pieces and photoetched hinges at an increasingly crotchety crowd that'd rather just have a correct body and a promo-plate chassis. Trumpeter would have been better advised to flip off 1/25 and all the baggage that comes with it; it's had its day, and Revell is the only manufacturer left with any true understanding of 1/25, anyway.

All that notwithstanding, it's still arguable those kits weren't a total waste of time. The Bonnevilles in particular were ground-breaking in design, and their general fit is impressive for having those hundreds of parts. There were positive aspects to these kits, and I think writing those strengths off in anticipation of the GT40 isn't entirely fair.

But even so, let's assume the American-catered 1/25 kits offer a dire indication of what's ahead. We're also ignoring a pretty good fire engine in the mix, and Trumpeter's aircraft and armor haven't even entered the discussion yet. That stuff has been improving by leaps and bounds, enough that this die-hard car guy couldn't help trying a few.

And if Trumpeter's new military kits look a lot more like the intended subjects than the earlier releases did, I don't see why the automotive releases can't follow the same trend. If Trumpeter builds on what's been established in 1/12 the same way they do on 1/32, 1/48, 1/350, and so on, this new GT40 could actually be pretty impressive.

Stellar, even.

Edited by Chuck Kourouklis

This sounds exciting-with caveats. First, it will certainly be priced out of my budget. Second, their record in aircraft is spotty at best. Though I haven't actually seen any of their kits, the reviews range from "work of art" to "horribly inaccurate over-engineered disaster". I can't help but wonder if their track record in cars is due to price and subject matter. At double or more the price of AMT or Revell kits, how much demand was there for '60 Pontiacs or '78 Monte Carlos (no offense to enthusiasts of those marques)? I wonder how much better they would have done with a '63 Corvette, Cobra Daytona coupe, or even an accurate '69 Mustang (to cite my preferences...).

Trumpeter? Trumpeter?

Bob I thought GMP did the 1/10 & 1/18 scale but no 1/12 scale. I remember Creative Miniatures was supposed to do a 1/12 MK II but I never heard much about it.

Edited by Len Woodruff

Here you go, Len:

3FordGTG1201307.jpeg

I was skeptical at first, too. I thought someone might have been confused about GMP's MK1's, but it looks like GMP has covered the entire series in 1:12. More here: http://motorsportcollector.com/GMP12FordGT.html

As for the spottiness of Trumpeter's military offerings, I believe the courtroom term is "asked and answered". I'll reiterate: the earlier releases had lots of problems. The newer ones have far fewer.

Any reason the automotive releases absolutely can't follow the same trend?

Edited by Chuck Kourouklis

the way i look at it is kinda a 50-50. I don't really do much with anything but 1/24-25, but if this kit really turns out to be a knock out, i just might shell out the coin. I did build the '60 Bonneville, and it really was not as bad as some say it is. I do have one of the Nova SS, and have heard equal reviews on that. I got turned off of Trumpeter with the 78 M/C. (no offense to those who like this car) The breaking point of this model to me and alot of other builders is going to be how accurate it is going to be. My best friend has a 1:1 Superformance Cobra Daytona Coupe, and he also has a couple Gunze-Sanyo C.D.C. kits, and he also has one of the model Factory-Hiro Coupes, and both of them are terribly innacurate. I have also poured over Superformance's GT-40 they produced, so i can go into this upcoming kit with some knowledge of accuracy. The one thing i did see with the Trumpeter kits that scared away alot of buyers is the price. $30-$35 bucks for the Bonny, Nova, & MC, i almost am shaky about what the price may be on this GT-40. Like i say, it will depend on the accuracy, and from what i am reading, it may not be worth the funds..

My best friend has a 1:1 Superformance Cobra Daytona Coupe, and he also has a couple Gunze-Sanyo C.D.C. kits, and he also has one of the model Factory-Hiro Coupes, and both of them are terribly innacurate.

The Superformance Cobra Daytona is not a copy of the vintage C.D.C; it was restyled and improved upon greatly over the original. It's got a longer wheelbase and a lot of subtle changes. Designed by Pete Brock, the same guy who designed the originals. He perfected the design of the new car; not unlike how Ford updated the GT40 into the Ford GT. You cannot fairly compare any Cobra Daytona models to the Superformance car. I'd love to see a model of the Superformance Cobra Daytona Coupe; I prefer it's design over the original. The other Superformance cars, the GT40's and Cobra replicas are much truer to original.

I know at least with Trumpeter's aircraft kits, the latest 1/32nd are INCREDIBLE!!! The earlier issues had some issues. Off the top of my head I can think of two glaring issues. The P-40B cockpit was too shallow and the Corsair's cockpit did not have the open floor of the real one. The A-10 was very well received. The Mig 21(I bought two) were very well received. The P-40B/C was well received even with the cockpit problem. heck, who would have ever thought that we would have not one but three MIG 3s to chose from (1/32nd 1/48th and 1/72nd). So let us hope that Trumpeter learned from their last lesson and that this one will be great!!

• 3 months later...

Len,

This might just be an urban legend. I keep a close watch on what the manufacturers announce at the trade shows and their midyear announcements, and there has never to my knowledge been a GT40 Mark II in 1/12 announced from Trumpeter.

However, Trumpeter has been known to stick stuff never formally announced at trade show time into production. If the GT40 is not an urban legend, expect it to be a $150-200 kit, jueging by Trumpeter's typical pricing.

'Round about January, there was a link to a Trumpeter Catalog page with a picture of a Black Ford GT40 and a caption underneath about it being offered as a 1/12 scale kit. That link is now broken.

If you check Trumpeter-China.com, you'll see an "other scale" listing under 1:25 and 1:24 in the "refinement car" directory, but nothing is listed under "other scale".

The notion of a 1/12 Trumpeter GT40 did gather enough weight that if you check out "Trumpeter 1:12" at ebay, you'll see a photo cd for a GT40.

But beyond that, we ain't got nothin' right now.

'Salright. I'll just cry in my boxes of Fujimi 250 GTO's and Hasegawa 250 TR's in the meantime...

'Round about January, there was a link to a Trumpeter Catalog page with a picture of a Black Ford GT40 and a caption underneath about it being offered as a 1/12 scale kit. That link is now broken.

If you check Trumpeter-China.com, you'll see an "other scale" listing under 1:25 and 1:24 in the "refinement car" directory, but nothing is listed under "other scale".

The notion of a 1/12 Trumpeter GT40 did gather enough weight that if you check out "Trumpeter 1:12" at ebay, you'll see a photo cd for a GT40.

But beyond that, we ain't got nothin' right now.

'Salright. I'll just cry in my boxes of Fujimi 250 GTO's and Hasegawa 250 TR's in the meantime...

Here's the pic:

34.jpg

• 4 months later...