Model Cars Magazine Forum

71 Cuda, all aluminum hemi

vintagedragfan

Bill, that is gonna look great! I wish I had half your skills when it came to metalwork!

hi Mike, thanks bro

Hi Bill , Beautifull fab work , as usual!!! This is so much fun to follow :):)

Randy

thank you Randy, really means a lot my friend!

Absolutely stunning work! What else can I say!

appreciate that Randy

Great work. Just started following a few pages ago. I' m getting ready to delve into brass fabricating, your work is inspiring. Went all the way to the beginning looking at your work, I like the headers. How did you do those collectors? What did you use for the pipes?

thank you, every thing on the engine is aluminum, the headers are aluminum rod and the collectors are just aluminum tubing I formed around them, working with metal is very rewarding for me, am having a great time figuring it out, most of the time anyway :(

got a little more done to the rear housing, it is all soldered up with the front on itIMG_1401-vi.jpg

I soldered the inside for a little extra strength

IMG_1402-vi.jpg

then I cut some more brass and added the front of the housing

IMG_1403-vi.jpg

then with a little clean up here is the end result, even has room for a ring and pinion ;)

IMG_1401-vi.jpgIMG_1404-vi.jpgIMG_1405-vi.jpg

made the braces for the rearIMG_1407-vi.jpgIMG_1408-vi.jpg

still need to make the four link brackets and the third member, not sure what I will do for a third member yet, thanks for looking

Bill... you are off to an awesome start with this rear end. Your work is just killer. Hey what type of solder iron are you using? Cant wait to see more on this rear end.

hey Chris, thanks buddy, I am used a butane torch on most of the chassis, and I have an old blue point (snapon's lower end) that has 3 inter changeable tips, a small pointed one and a med. and larger wedge, and using silver bearing solder, which is a very strong solder, more or less using stuff I all ready have, lol I guess it's working, it hasn't fell apart yet anyway

Very Nice work Bill, Where your rear cross member attaches to the main rails, Did you just butt solder that or did you put some pins in it for strength? Just curious. Wonder if you could get them to do one of these in 1/24th?

http://www.shapeways.com/model/393149/1-16-strange-ultra-case-rearend-carrier.html?gid=ug

hey Joe, yea I just butted it together, I figure by the time I get a cage attached from front to back it will be plenty strong, man, that third member is sweet, I could use one in 1/24 about right now!!

This one of the most amazing models I have seen in s long time.it took me a couple of days to read the entire thread.sll I can say is awesome!

thanks Mike, appreciate you stopping in!

I love following all of the in progress pics you are posting. I am very interested in brass work and am in love with seeing your work in this area especially. I am thinking of doing a brass frame for a project I am going to be doing in the near future. Keep up the greta work and I am watching for sure! :)

Kevin

I am up to page 15 and I can't stop looking at your work. This is just the way modeling should be done if you can pull it off....and you can definitely pull it off!!! Amazing work!!!

Kevin

hi Kevin, I don't know if this is the way it (should) be done, this is just some thing I wanted to try my hand at, it does get frustrating at times, but hopefully the end results will be rewarding, thanks so much

pffffftt and he just keeps on going with the awsomeness :)

thanks Richard!

Bill.......this is such a treat to watch come together.......i really admire your skills.......you are so talented I believe you could build anything.........I see a great future coming your way. :)

John, I hope it does come together some day, it is such a slow process for me, the brass work is more challenging than I had expected, I don't have a resistance soldering set up, and the problem I am starting to run into is soldering these small pieces with out loosening previous solder joints,this is a learning process for me, and it gets pretty frustrating for sure, but I started this project to challenge myself and man it's doing that! thanks so much my friend

I first was going to say that it keeps getting better, but I so like every thing is far and don't want to diminish what has been done so far. I know that I anxiously await updates. This is some exciting stuff.

Dirk, it's guys like you that have inspired me to try this, it is giving me great respect for what you have done with these materials, I have found nothing easy about any of it, it is one of the most challenging things I have ever attempted, I still have no idea how it will turn out, any advice is all ways appreciated, thanks man

I love following all of the in progress pics you are posting. I am very interested in brass work and am in love with seeing your work in this area especially. I am thinking of doing a brass frame for a project I am going to be doing in the near future. Keep up the greta work and I am watching for sure! :)

Kevin

Kevin , I don't know if I'm the one you should be watching, this is my first time soldering brass, there a lot of guys here who have done a lot of this type stuff who would give you much better advice! lol thanks

I'm glad I did, the work you have into this, is nothing short of amazing!

i appreciate it Cleve

Great update, Bill! Incredible work, for sure.

-Art

Art, really means so much, thank you!!

This is Art! The chassis is coming together, and it really looks like you are building Full Scale chassis for a real car. Wow. This makes me back to the bench to build those Glue Bombs. Fantastic work, keep it going. Welding.gif

hey Chris, thanks buddy, I am used a butane torch on most of the chassis, and I have an old blue point (snapon's lower end) that has 3 inter changeable tips, a small pointed one and a med. and larger wedge, and using silver bearing solder, which is a very strong solder, more or less using stuff I all ready have, lol I guess it's working, it hasn't fell apart yet anyway

Bill thank you for explaining what you use to solder. I need to pick up a mini butane torch and try that. I know that using my pencil iron can be challenging at times and I am trying be able to better my skills at soldering tubing. Do you happen to use flux when you solder?

Well, Bill, it looks like you've got the brass and soldering thing handled too.

You might as well move on to painting complex oil portraits on Cathedral ceilings. We need to find something challenging to keep you busy and out of trouble.

later bud ...

Bill thank you for explaining what you use to solder. I need to pick up a mini butane torch and try that. I know that using my pencil iron can be challenging at times and I am trying be able to better my skills at soldering tubing. Do you happen to use flux when you solder?

yea Chris the solder came with flux, and I have been using it

Well, Bill, it looks like you've got the brass and soldering thing handled too.

You might as well move on to painting complex oil portraits on Cathedral ceilings. We need to find something challenging to keep you busy and out of trouble.

later bud ...

LOL you kill me bro!!! I don't like height's!!

Enjoying watching this masterpiece come together.

thanks so much Del!

Edited by vintagedragfan