Model Cars Magazine Forum

Foose 65 Impala question

DaveM

I see these are in the stores now. I looked at the box, and I see no mention of 2 in 1 or any such thing. I know the other foose kits tend to have the stock parts in them, but I wanted to make sure this one does before I drop the cash on it. I am hoping so, because I want to complete my "Impala Row with a couple of 65s.

Thanks,

Dave

It does..I don't have my original issue of the '65 handy to compare, but it appears all the stock parts are there incl. stock wheels & tires, whitewall decals, etc. New parts (chrome ribbed valve covers, oval air cleaner, Foose wheels) are packaged separately per recent Revell convention.

I saw a description that says the stock exhaust manifolds are NOT included. Haven't yet verified that.

That I don't know..there is one set shown on the instructions a 4-into 1 style part, looks like a stock 396 part IIRC from other kits. My original issue of the '65 is in storage, so I can't compare. The stock dual exhaust, valve covers and air cleaner are there..

Edited by Rob Hall

Thanx for the photo Rob! It was hard to tell exactly what kind of wheels were on it in the photo I saw of the buildup. Are the lowered front and rear suspensions still there?

Those were only available in the lowrider issues of that kit- it would be nice if they were included. They were on a separate sprue in the lowrider version.

I would like to see those also. I would like to see any other optional parts that haven't been available before in this kit. Those will be the deciding factors for me as to whether I'll buy or not. I already have a low rider version.

The only optional parts seem to be the wheels, tires, chrome air cleaner and valve covers.

There's also that highly expensive and somewhat exclusive 'Foose' logo on the box art. :P

There are Foose specific decals as well. Red pin stripes. Not sure if I will use the Foose wheels on mine, but I do want to do it in a Pro Touring style...have a resin FI BBC for it.

The real car doesn't look like the wheels are staggered much at all.

Real car has 19" & 20" and rears are wider than fronts. Staggered to me mate, maybe not for Revell...

The rear wheels have a very small (1"/25mm or so?) lip showing, whereas the front wheels do not, so yes, they are not the same front and rear, as Roger said:

1965-chevy-impala-front-three-quarter.jpI don't think any Foose-labeled kit Revell has released is 100% true to the 1:1 car it represents, whether intentional or not, so l look at them as reissues with new wheels and tires, and sometimes, as in this case, new valve covers and an air cleaner

Now, if a kit of the Impostor is in the works...

883594_506915009344565_563216541_o.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

In the most case, I see the Foose kits form Revell as a "Branded" California Wheels series. The Foose name is, IMO, being used to draw interest. Like the California Wheels series, these seem to consist of mainly wheel/tire, engine dress up and decal differences on an otherwise standard kit offering. In some cases, the standard kit engine/drivetrain may be close to what Foose did in Overhaulin'. In other cases, like the 65 Impala, your engine choices are a 396 or the 409 as provided in the convertible.

As I am building a 65 Impala with a 327 (to replicate my Dad's car), a little chassis and engine bay work needs be done to handle a small block. I just don't see Revell retooling only for this.

I didn' have to do anything to my '66 (same chassis and engine bay) to put a small block in it. I used one from the Revell '69 Camaro.

If you are going with a four speed, no chassis change but the radiator shroud is not deep enough for a small block. I am building one with a Powerglide, so the transmission crossmember needs to change.

Edited by Exotics_Builder

• 1 year later...

I'm wondering if any who built this kit are having the same problem I am... It seems that the final assembly is marred by design errors - first of all, the slots for the radiator support are a little too far ahead of the actual support. Sure, you can muscle the support into position and epoxy it in place, but you better not do that until a problem with the dash and windshield are corrected - am I mistaken or is the dash too far forward so that it actually pushes the windshield out? I tried removing some of the dash (up to the first set of vents), but that didn't seem to be enough, and no matter how well glued the window seems to be, the dash keeps forcing it out of position (also, there could be a bit more clear plastic to aid in gluing the window in place... but then again, that might make the positioning of the windshield more difficult). Any help would be appreciated!

Edited by fseva

I haven't built the Foose kit. But, I've built a couple of the other editions and didn't have any problems with it. Make sure your dash and radiator support are in the correct position. If your windshield is glued well and fully dry, your dash shouldn't be able to force it out of position. If you have to force an assembly or part, something's wrong.