Model Cars Magazine Forum

Sleepers!

The Nova's got a chute and a trailer hitch!

The Chute is because it runs in the low 9's and the trailer hitch is because the owner took it on the Hot Rod Drag Week tour and had to pull a trailer with spare parts and tools. It also has a NHRA approved roll cage.

• 1 month later...

I personally am a foxbody guy. With that being said, I've seen some pretty quick "street cars"..on the street. I've been known to carry a jug of vht in the trunk..you know, just in case! B) . Of all the foxbody hustles I've seen, this one is my favorite, I'm just glad I never came across it.

Edited by Ry4ns302

not sure would my 51 dodge be a sleeper? There are no markings to tell you I have a 392 hemi under the hood?

Does it pull the front wheels off the ground when you launch it? I think that is what comes to mind for most people when they think of a sleeper, a vehicle with an unsuspecting look to it but with massive horsepower and performance.

I knew a guy who drove an 81 Malibu wagon with steel wheels and whitewalls. For added effect he went to Goodwill and bought a baby seat for the back seat and threw a couple of blankets in the "way back" to look like a grocery getter Mom-mobile. Those blankets hid his nitrous tanks and the car would run mid 10 second passes in the quarter mile, made many a fool out of Vette, Camaro, Mustang and other muscle car owners!

• 4 months later...

Back when I was an avid street racer (yeah yeah I know) there was a guy with a very non-suspect red Camaro. It looked completely stock from the outside. Stock wheels and tires even. He had some goofy spoiler on it but that was it. Not even an exhaust note to give you a hint. He was spraying something like a 250 shot through it. Launched soft, then suddenly took off like a rocket.

Reminds me of an article in a muscle car mag a couple of years ago. Guy had a rough '64 or '65 ranchero and found a busch series v8 for it. Did all the suspension and roll cage work then welded a lawn mower handle into the back and went hunting victims.. as the article explains, he was apparently spanking cobras and other unlucky challengers on the track.

mike