Model Cars Magazine Forum

White Freightliner info needed

I have a subject I want to build,my best,bestest friend his dad drove for P-I-E and a truck similar to this one pictured....I am looking for info on the wheel base,she looks much shorter than the AMT kit,also looks lower and with cutting down the w/b what to do with the battery box....any ideas or comment/links of any kind would be highly appreciated as I have never tried anything to this degree but being this forum has very knowledgeable members and even some truckers from the day....Thanks !!!

Untitled-1.jpg

Hey Mike, not sure what the exact wheelbase is but each wheel rim is right at 24" so that may help in measuring the rest. The battery box would be on or in the frame right behind the cab or it might be on the other side with a shorter fuel tank behind it.

That hub sticking out of the front wheel is known as Center Hub Steering. Some older trucks had this instead of power steering as it would basically place the wheel inline with the king pins of the axle so the wheel would pivot on it's axis rather than swing backward and forward like it would when the wheel is moved outward. This made steering easier. I mastered some five hole wheels that, while not exact to those in the picture, are very close. I also mastered that Stemco center hub on the front axle in case you need those as well.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Ben

Did the fleet trucks run on 24" wheels back then!? I believe they were mostly 20". If this photo came from Hanks Truck Pics, then there are millions more! Ben is probably right about the right side tank and battery box. Look through Hank's page and see what else you can find too!

Did the fleet trucks run on 24" wheels back then!? I believe they were mostly 20". If this photo came from Hanks Truck Pics, then there are millions more! Ben is probably right about the right side tank and battery box. Look through Hank's page and see what else you can find too!

Yeah, they probably were 20's or 22's now that you mention it. They don't appear to be split rims so 20" didn't occure to me when I looked at them.

Ackerman Centerpoint steering perhaps?

I learned to dock trailers in an old White Cabover with centerpoint steering. It will build a nice set of arms for you! :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Actually a lot fleets did run 24.5 inch rubber back then. I would guess those are 22.5s. Back in those days things weren't metric so you could have 10.00x20 11.00x20 10.00x22.5 11.00x22.5 11.00x24.5 and 12.00x24.5s there certainally were no lo pros for sure. The truck in the picture would be a great model.

hallo mike

on hank truckpictures you find a picture of a freightliner whit a short fueltank and batterybox

a other company but for example i think its nice

russel macneil vintage truck pictures page 29

hope its helps

and wil follow the project

jacobus

The PIE unit probably has the RH exhaust recessed into the corner of the cab, allowing for additional trailer-swing clearance with the short wheelbase. The cab also appears to be a shorter 76" (approx) length instead of 86". This model of WF had the cab lower off the frame - note the small distance between the bottom of the headlamp and the lower edge of the cab skin. The frontal air intake is the series of slots under the nameplate.

Tim