Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ice Road Truckers

I'm working on it. Should have something in a few days. With limited pics and info, I'm working the best I can with what I have. :D:unsure::blink: :blink:

Cool!

Any chance you can put Lisa's number (C-1608 IIRC) on the sheet?

Can a W-900B be kitbashed from an AMT T-600 and a Revell W-900A or amd I better off buying the resin W-900B that's out there?

How would you recommend tackling the tire chains?

I've got an epsidoe or two of IRT recored on my computer and I'm going to see if I remember how to do a screen capature so that I/we can have better pics. of the various Carlisle trucks.

Can a W-900B be kitbashed from an AMT T-600 and a Revell W-900A or amd I better off buying the resin W-900B that's out there?

How would you recommend tackling the tire chains?

You'd probably be better off with the resin, since the styles Carlile run is the integral cab/sleeper. You could probably make the T-600 work, but the cab and sleeper would have to be blended together, plus you would have to do modifications to the sleeper roof and the cab's door window openings. The Revell W900 would also need the same mods, plus the front of the fender squared off for the square headlights on the newer trucks.

As for chains, either look at Michael's for some fine chain, or I have seen scale chain on ebay. I've seen it in both the truck section and the model railroad sections.

Cool!

Any chance you can put Lisa's number (C-1608 IIRC) on the sheet?

You were close! I just finished watching the episode where Lisa gave a tour of her "house". The number of Lisa's truck is C-1680! I just wish I could be her rommmate! :P

You were close! I just finished watching the episode where Lisa gave a tour of her "house". The number of Lisa's truck is C-1680! I just wish I could be her rommmate! :P

I've always done that with numbers.

I hate to tell ya but Lisa is married to another Carlisle employee. Not a driver if that matters.

Your comment on the resin W-900b has got me wondering if there's two different ones available. The one by GW doesn't come with a sleeper yet you mentioned an integral sleeper.

I figure you might know something that I don't as I'm a car modeler who's working on moving into scratchbuilding and heavy trucks.

I hate to tell ya but Lisa is married to another Carlisle employee. Not a driver if that matters.

Yeah, I know, but it doesn't hurt to dream! :P

Your comment on the resin W-900b has got me wondering if there's two different ones available. The one by GW doesn't come with a sleeper yet you mentioned an integral sleeper.

I figure you might know something that I don't as I'm a car modeler who's working on moving into scratchbuilding and heavy trucks.

I think I've seen a W900 with an integral sleeper, slightly higher roof though, on ebay, I think Porky (Eric) has it listed sometimes. He's a member here. The T-600 and W-900 kits have a separate sleeper box that would need molded to the cab to be 100% correct. The reason I mentioned the intregral sleeper is because the 1:1 prototypes are that way, especially Lisa's, just like this one.

8073.jpg

I'm happy to here you or exploring the wonderful world of scale trucking and scratchbuilding. The bigger the boys, the bigger the toys! <_< I just might know something about trucks, and there are many others in this section who know much more than me, but I grew up with an older brother who drove, so I was around trucks at a young age, and have been building trucks for a little over 20 years, since I was about 12. My brother was killed in an truck accident in 1992, and I lost interest in trucks for a little while, but at 22 in 1998, I started my driving career. I have driven for the past 12 years and have probably over 1 million safe miles until high blood pressure problems conspired against me last June and helped in losing a local driving job I had for 5 years. The blood pressure is back under control, but I have not been in a truck since, and may never be again thanks to that. I've been making the best of it, though, spending time with my latest project that I've done some scratchbuilding on, this Ford LTL 9000.

HPIM2120.jpg

Those are simply beautiful!! I can't believe you did those in just about a day! Now I know the go to guy for decals when I finally get parts for my O'hare wrecker project! :)

Those are simply beautiful!! I can't believe you did those in just about a day! Now I know the go to guy for decals when I finally get parts for my O'hare wrecker project! :)

This one just happened to be pretty quick to throw together. I'm not so sure about o'hare..Sometimes my time to put these together is very limited.Even moreso depending on some upcoming MRI results on my neck.

This one just happened to be pretty quick to throw together. I'm not so sure about o'hare..Sometimes my time to put these together is very limited.Even moreso depending on some upcoming MRI results on my neck.

Don't worry about it now, I want to build the wrecker in my pic, but I don't even have a donor for it yet! Or a bed, or a correct cab, or the whole thing! :)

Hey Yall, The trucks in the pics look like W900L's to me instead of B models,,,the hood and grill is narrower on the L models.

I offer the Studio sleeper cabs and the 900L hoods if they would help anyone out.

Matt, hope you did not mind me posting this on your thread.

50sKW040.jpg

50sKW033.jpg

50sKW036.jpg

Hey Yall, The trucks in the pics look like W900L's to me instead of B models,,,the hood and grill is narrower on the L models.

I offer the Studio sleeper cabs and the 900L hoods if they would help anyone out.

50sKW040.jpg

50sKW033.jpg

50sKW036.jpg

Of course not! :lol: I mentioned that earlier that I thought you had that listed on ebay sometimes!

I think I've seen a W900 with an integral sleeper, slightly higher roof though, on ebay, I think Porky (Eric) has it listed sometimes. He's a member here. The T-600 and W-900 kits have a separate sleeper box that would need molded to the cab to be 100% correct. The reason I mentioned the intregral sleeper is because the 1:1 prototypes are that way, especially Lisa's, just like this one.

Don't worry about it now, I want to build the wrecker in my pic, but I don't even have a donor for it yet! Or a bed, or a correct cab, or the whole thing! :)

I sorta figured that you'd wanna build "Mistress". I'm a HUGE fan of "Wrecked" and it's mostly responsible for getting me back into heavy truck models. I'd recommend Plaskit's KW T-800 cab conversion for it and the RoG Pete wrecker for the chassis, just to save your self all the work required to build a quad axle chassis. IIRC, Mistress is a Miller Industries 60 or 70 ton rotator and you're on your own for that. The RoG Pete wrecker might be close enough to work but good luck finding one for a decent price.

Me? I wanna build a NRC 80 ton sliding rotator, probably on a Western Star 6900HD 5 axle twin steer chassis.

FWIW, both NRC and Plaskit are within an hour's drive of home for me.

50sKW040.jpg

50sKW033.jpg

50sKW036.jpg

I honestly can't spot a W-900B from a W-900L but if someone can tell me which I need for my project, I'll gladly order it from you.

All I need is a price and where do I send the money.

I honestly can't spot a W-900B from a W-900L but if someone can tell me which I need for my project, I'll gladly order it from you.

All I need is a price and where do I send the money.

The 900L hood is not as wide as the 900B at the front and the side of the fenders are pretty diff from the 900B fenders the side where it rolls over toward the tires is wider and has no lip on the edge of the wheel well like the 900B has, hope this helps.

I sorta figured that you'd wanna build "Mistress". I'm a HUGE fan of "Wrecked" and it's mostly responsible for getting me back into heavy truck models. I'd recommend Plaskit's KW T-800 cab conversion for it and the RoG Pete wrecker for the chassis, just to save your self all the work required to build a quad axle chassis. IIRC, Mistress is a Miller Industries 60 or 70 ton rotator and you're on your own for that. The RoG Pete wrecker might be close enough to work but good luck finding one for a decent price.

Me? I wanna build a NRC 80 ton sliding rotator, probably on a Western Star 6900HD 5 axle twin steer chassis.

FWIW, both NRC and Plaskit are within an hour's drive of home for me.

Of course, I have the same pic as my avatar pic as the desktop background on both my main computer AND my laptop! I drove heavy wrecker for about a year or two around 2000, so I have quite a love for wreckers and have many light and heavy wrecker builds planned, including building a correct "Can Do"! By the way, the Challeneger in the Can Do kit is very close to the Mistress' boom, close enough to work, but I have not researched Miller Indrusties site (I have it in my favorites!) to find exactly the rotator on her yet. As Joey would say on the show, I'd love to be "Steppin' out with the Mistress" and "Rollovers get my boom up"!

MR. JONES I WOULD LIKE TO DO LISA'S RIG. WOULD YOUR KIT FIT ON A R&G W900? AND HOW COULD GET SOME DECALS?

Larry, I would say the easiest way to get both would be to go back though the posts to Porky's (truck)and Phoneguy's (decals) postings, click on the little envelope under their profile pics, and send them a PM to get in contact with them.

MR. JONES I WOULD LIKE TO DO LISA'S RIG. WOULD YOUR KIT FIT ON A R&G W900? AND HOW COULD GET SOME DECALS?

Hey Larry

Brother calling me Mr. Jones is kinda like sticking an elevator in an out house :) Eric or Porky works just fine.

Yes the studio sleeper set with 900L hood conversion can be built on the rev/ger W900 kits. the conversion with cab & hood is 80.00 + shipping

The decals I think "phoneguy" ( Jerry Reeter ) can help you with, he made a post on them in this thread.

Edited by Porky

Gentlemen,

I found what you are looking for.

http://www.roadtransport.com/blogs/road-freight-crime/ice%20blog%202.JPG

If you search Google images of "ice road truckers" you will find all sorts of pics.

Hope this helps,

Jameston

(Yes, I am trying to get a match for Carlile blue)

Edited by Scalefinishes

Gentlemen,

I found what you are looking for.

http://www.roadtransport.com/blogs/road-freight-crime/ice%20blog%202.JPG

If you search Google images of "ice road truckers" you will find all sorts of pics.

Hope this helps,

Jameston

(Yes, I am trying to get a match for Carlile blue)

Nice pic, and if the interest in the cabs and decals are anything to go by, I hope you get that match soon! :unsure: