Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Jairus Watson Artwork Challenge

Fletch

Fletch-

I sent you a PM on a fellow modeler from my local club who would like to get in on this, if any are left. You can send the info to me, if so, and I will make a copy for him.

Also, about the hood scoop for that Firebird. The shape of the top looks similar to part of a plastic (press on) fingernail that you can pick up in a package in the make-up isle at Wal-Mart or similar store. Then you could just build up the bottom with styrene. I have a package of them that I've had for years to make custom air cleaners, scoops or headlight covers on customs. It may be quicker and cheaper than aftermarket.

I am looking for a Fujimi or similar 60's Beetle kit for trade, if anyone has one. 1/ 24 scale would be great, since I plan to use a Fujimi Porsche whale tail, engine and interior that I already have. I got my wheels today from Jairus. Thank you, Man!

Later-

Fletch-

I sent you a PM on a fellow modeler from my local club who would like to get in on this, if any are left. You can send the info to me, if so, and I will make a copy for him.

Also, about the hood scoop for that Firebird. The shape of the top looks similar to part of a plastic (press on) fingernail that you can pick up in a package in the make-up isle at Wal-Mart or similar store. Then you could just build up the bottom with styrene. I have a package of them that I've had for years to make custom air cleaners, scoops or headlight covers on customs. It may be quicker and cheaper than aftermarket.

I am looking for a Fujimi or similar 60's Beetle kit for trade, if anyone has one. 1/ 24 scale would be great, since I plan to use a Fujimi Porsche whale tail, engine and interior that I already have. I got my wheels today from Jairus. Thank you, Man!

Later-

Tom, replied to your PM, the artwork should be in your inbox here on the forum.

Also, I have a Tamiya 60s VW if you're interested. Not in the original box but complete and unbuilt.

OK. Here's mine...

40artvi-vi.jpg

Very cool. Amazingly I was intending to build something like this later this year (hood off, contrasting firewall, etc.) As Dave said in his PM to me, "right up my alley".

Jairus, any tips on this one? Is it sectioned as well as chopped or is that just a question of perspective (firewall says no, side trim towards the rear says maybe...)? Are the flame patterns based on anything? And the exhaust megaphones? Also, what did you intend under the hood? If nothing in particular then I'll put something BIG there! The hardest thing to source may be those two little rear view mirrors, of all things!

Time to get out the Sawzall!

B.

Edited by gbk1

Bern,

No tips... other than that pic illustration remains unfinished. I liked the look and was under a deadline so.... At any rate, build it how you like. The Revell '40 standard kit's a great starting place... tho, I figure the venerable old AMT '40 is still applicable. Engine is whatever you can fit in with a passel of carbs. Seems Norm is going to be busy sending out those air scoops! (Replicas & Minatures of MD item # FH-40 $4.95)

Because it seems a number of my drawings in this challenge have them! :-)

J

Sent Fletch a PM to add me in to the challenge. Sadly, I didn't include my e-mail but did follow up his PM. Now I'm like a kid at the candy store waiting to see what challenge awaits me. This is going to be fun.

Mike

Sent Fletch a PM to add me in to the challenge. Sadly, I didn't include my e-mail but did follow up his PM. Now I'm like a kid at the candy store waiting to see what challenge awaits me. This is going to be fun.

Mike

Mike, check your email inbox, the intro letter and artwork are waiting for you.

Dave

I am STOKED!!!!!!!!

Got my kit in today from Canada, Wheels and Tires from Champagne IL, HOK Tangelo Pearl from Coast airbrush....and Artwork from Jairius!!!

Questions for you Jarius.... on "The Bomb" did you drop a V8 in or just put duals on the six?

Did you Omit the gas cap rear fender or forget? and last but not least, where can I get a window mount cooler...or scratch it??

Big thanks Again..........OOOOHHHHHH THIS IS SOOOOOO FUN!!!!!!!!

Mathias,

That kit is a 1961 Rancharo and was re-released... what? Three years ago? The grill I illustrated is a '62 and not in the kit so good luck finding one. It was drawn for Gregg back when he was building a 1:1 and to my knowledge not possible in scale unless there is a resin grill and front fenders available somewhere. The premis was to cross a Shelby cobra (scoop and stripes) with the Rancharo and what would it look like. The front bumper is actually the real '61 piece but trimmed down by removal of the lower shield creating a straight "blade" much like the Mustang. Also note the rear wheel opening has been radiused and a lip added.

Good luck.

bluerancharo-vi.jpg

Mathias;

If you haven't found a '62 grille, I have a '62 falcon that I can clean up and try to produce a resin copy of. That's one of the resons I got the falcon so I could do a 62 Ranchero. Let me know and I will dig it out and see how close it is to Jairus' artwork?

JT

Hey JT i think I have what you need. I was upset cause my camera died after this pic and I was going to get a close up. These match the style if you fill the center almost to a "T" The ironic part is these wheels were on this junker I bought in bulk and its the right car! Let me know if you want the wheels or if you found the correct ones. I'm always willing to help all the people in this build if I can biggrin.gif I'll get better pics tomorrow! DSC02343.jpg

Brian;

I may take you up on that, but let me take a look in my stash to see if I have anything close. I have a bunch in my parts box and they look very familar. I've been gone for a long weekend, so I haven't had a chance to hunt through my pile.

Edited by JT

JT-

If you need the body of the 98 Vette to get those side scoops, PM me. I have a spare body.

Later-

Tom;

Thanks for the offer, I have a one downstairs and one coming from Fred, so I'm covered. Now I just need to figure out if the 86 Tbird roof the same as the '87, I have one of those. That's if I decide to go that route.

Mathias;

If you haven't found a '62 grille, I have a '62 falcon that I can clean up and try to produce a resin copy of. That's one of the resons I got the falcon so I could do a 62 Ranchero. Let me know and I will dig it out and see how close it is to Jairus' artwork?

JT

Hi JT,

Actually I just ordered one from the Modelhaus. Going to see how it looks, & if it doesn't work will try a similar photo-etch grille I found.

But thanks anyway, will keep it in mind just in case.

Mathias

Questions for you Jarius.... on "The Bomb" did you drop a V8 in or just put duals on the six?

Did you Omit the gas cap rear fender or forget? and last but not least, where can I get a window mount cooler...or scratch it??

Big thanks Again..........OOOOHHHHHH THIS IS SOOOOOO FUN!!!!!!!!

Engine is up to you totally.

Yeah, forgot.

Scratch it of course and Evergreen has the tube you need for this capped off by a '40 Ford cap.

:)

Hey I think I have the right car for mine! I only have to wait to Saturday Ahhhh!!!! to long! :lol: I really can't wait to tear into this. Everyone in this build thanks for the posts here and on the bench as this is just to cool.. It's awesome to see everyone so fired up! I really thank you guys that had it as a local thing to expand and let us join in!