Model Cars Magazine Forum

Clark Gas Station Project

Repstock

Love the HVAC system, but why Bryant? lol its going to break down. Should go with Goodman or American Standard. jk Do you have a step by step on the unit and plenum? and the other stuff?

I'm going to tell the truth, here. I am not a planner, I just solve problems as they arise. This is what that means: I've redone the storeroom three times, I've redone the showroom twice, I've redone the bathrooms once, and I've redone the floors twice. I could have built this thing twice by now.

I tried to get as much reference as I could, but at some point you must get started before the interest dies. Things I didn't know for sure, I gave my best guess at, THEN a source would arise that showed how it really looked, and I'd redo it. I've seen 90% of how the layout really is by sources on this board, and getting access to an actual old Clark, which was pretty intact. All of this happened, of course, after I'd gotten everything wrong!

As for as the furnace, water heater, etc., I just build whatever I need. With the furnace, I found a period furnace and copied it. It ended up being Bryant because I happened to have some blue paint left to paint it with, and Bryant happened to be available once in a similar color. Is the appearance a copy of an actual Bryant? No, I just tried to capture a period look. Now, If I'd found an old Bryant to copy, then it would be as exact as I could make it.

I wish I could say I was so talented that I get it right the first time, every time, but it's not true. I just keep trying until I have something I can live with.

I've taken pictures before trying to create tutorials, but the thing I photograph is almost never the thing I end up using!!

Just today, I accidentally flipped some acrylic black onto the stockroom wall. Luckily the wall is painted in enamel, and Windex took the slopped paint off without hurting the wall at all. But what if I'd flipped enamel black?

I try to reach the level of a Ken Hamilton, who I imagine wasting no time and effort, with every movement creating something amazing, and I see myself groping around just to get one thing looking decent!!!

I guess my point is, dive in and do it YOUR way! I am living proof that effort can, to some degree, overcome shortcomings in raw talent.

Tom, here on this forum you need a THICK skin . People take my comments and hurl them as weapons on me all the time . I'm used to it . I figure they're jealous or just plain moronic . You build these models to relieve stress and who knows , maybe get a blurb of recognition . I look only because I constantly wish to "Challenge Myself " on each new build . Ed Shaver

I certainly hope none of my compliments have come across as something negative. As a beginer, I look on in awe at those who can make such realistic models, especially of something from my youth. I understand Tom's way of doing things, as I've changed things that I thought I was done with. This is true with my business, my hot rod and even the way I deal with (of all things) my baseball card collections. This, in my eyes is truely a magnificent build. It's usually the first thread I look for.

Edited by Swifster

I certainly hope none of my compliments have come across as something negative. As a beginer, I look on in awe at those who can make such realistic models, especially of something from my youth. I understand Tom's way of doing things, as I've changed things that I thought I was done with. This is true with my business, my hot rod and even the way I deal with (of all things) my baseball card collections. This, in my eyes is truely a magnificent build. It's usually the first thread I look for.

I appreciate your kind words,Tom, and I'll work hard to make this model worth looking at.

This is not directed at anybody in particular: On a message board, I am fireproof. There is nothing you can say on a board that's going to bother me. (in person is a different matter). I really appreciate the kind comments, enjoy looking at other builds, and disregard the negative. Everybody is entitled to an opinion, but I'm under no obligation to care. Fortunately, I have yet to encounter anyone like that here, and if I do, it won't bother me.

I appreciate your kind words,Tom, and I'll work hard to make this model worth looking at.

This is not directed at anybody in particular: On a message board, I am fireproof. There is nothing you can say on a board that's going to bother me. (in person is a different matter). I really appreciate the kind comments, enjoy looking at other builds, and disregard the negative. Everybody is entitled to an opinion, but I'm under no obligation to care. Fortunately, I have yet to encounter anyone like that here, and if I do, it won't bother me.

Keep on keepin' on Tom your doing fine. Looks really impressive. Can't wait to see the final product.

Oh this just keeps getting better and better. When I first scrolled down to the picture of the water heater and furnace, I thought you were posting your reference pictures. It took awhile for it to sink in that is was a highly accurate scale build.

Tom - you're work is inspiring to one who has built a few dioramas and is always contemplating another. I'm not sure that I would build something of this magnitude even if I had the place for it. This is magnificient and I always check in to see what new creative work you have done.

moreoilcans4.jpg

The stockroom is coming along. I had to make more oil cans to stock the shelves. I've made 562 decaled oil cans for this project so far. I'm not sure the cans in the back row will be visible when in the shelves, but I decaled them anyway, just in case you can see a bit of them. I'll post more pictures when I get more done.

Thanks for all the positive feedback, and thanks for all the help, I've had a lot of useful input from several people, you know who you are!

Tom, just e-mail me an tell me of any contests you're coming to as my service stations now are not worthy of this one . Ed Shaver

I very rarely enter contests these days. The only ones I do enter are in the immediate Columbus area. I've had models appear in both model car magazines, and I have won my share of awards. It was all great fun, but now I'm content to just build and post in this forum. The trophy I'm most proud of was the Best of Show cup won at an IPMS show in Columbus. It's a large show, and overwhelmingly military. To have the military guys vote my school bus best of show was something I'll never forget.

I really like your stations, and I'd like to see more of them.

Tom, speaking honestly for a moment , I'm stuck . Well, I'm having some serious Kidney issues as a result of a medication I take . That in unto itself is troublesome as I'm constantly going back an forth to a hospital for evaluation . meanwhile , I'm having to decide exactly which Pump to model . If you have a copy of Illustrated Guide to Gasoline Pumps - Volume 2 By Jack Sim go to page 70. Then flip to page 72. and maybe page 77. I'm looking at doing either a Model 2062, ( 1958-61 ) , model 3001, ( 1962 ) or a model 3117, ( 1963 ) .Yes , they share some similarities . Yes , I could do a combination of the three or do dual pumps in this case . I'll need four minimum . That in itself involves casting . I'm still trying to learn casting . As for going to Ohio anytime soon, uh I kind of doubt it as i really don't wish to deal with a couple of members that are from the area on this forum . Ed Shaver

Tom, speaking honestly for a moment , I'm stuck . Well, I'm having some serious Kidney issues as a result of a medication I take . That in unto itself is troublesome as I'm constantly going back an forth to a hospital for evaluation . meanwhile , I'm having to decide exactly which Pump to model . If you have a copy of Illustrated Guide to Gasoline Pumps - Volume 2 By Jack Sim go to page 70. Then flip to page 72. and maybe page 77. I'm looking at doing either a Model 2062, ( 1958-61 ) , model 3001, ( 1962 ) or a model 3117, ( 1963 ) .Yes , they share some similarities . Yes , I could do a combination of the three or do dual pumps in this case . I'll need four minimum . That in itself involves casting . I'm still trying to learn casting . As for going to Ohio anytime soon, uh I kind of doubt it as i really don't wish to deal with a couple of members that are from the area on this forum . Ed Shaver

maybe I'm a little thick, but I'm not sure what you are requesting. I don't cast anymore because I do it so infrequently, the resin goes bad, and I'm tired of wasting money that way. I don't have a copy of that publication, so I can't see the pumps. Who is the manufacturer, Tokheim? What is the pump for? I will help you any way I can.

Sorry about any trouble you may have had with other members. I'm sure you don't need the aggravation given your medical situation.

Tom, let me see if I can get photos up of the particular pumps I'm deciding upon . Hey, I'll cast these guys myself . I have been building what I have had individually in the past . Problem is getting exact fits as they will be too close together and any differences will be apparent . The pump models I mentioned are from a company in Michigan known as Bennett.

Bennett 2000 series :

Keystone-.jpg

photo Courtesy of Gramps XRDS

Ed Shaver

Edited by Eshaver