Model Cars Magazine Forum

Model Master Laquer

Yes, Testors bottle paints need thinning before spraying. They sell their own bottles of lacquer thinner for the bottle paints, but you'll probably be able to thin it with hardware store lacquer thinner as well. That's what I thin Testors enamels with.

would you happen to know the ratio is to thin it, I have the testors lacquer thinnner but it does not say hoe much to use.

thanks

There is no formula for mixing lacquer with thinner. I go 50/50 and build up the paint, but the rule of thumb is mix the paint down until it is the consistancy of milk. This goes for any paint squirted through an airbrush!

Also, when mixing lacquers, you really should use the best thinner you can find. I use PPG Acrylic Lacquer Thinner (DTL876). But that is just me.... :D

I'm with Zoom Zomm ans Jairus on this. For the last 2 years I've been thinning enamels with Lacquer Thinner, in this case with the PPG DTL 876, as Jairus mentioned before. This is the Mid-temp thinner from PPG, in this case it's the one I should use for my hot weather, since I live in Puerto Rico, wich is hotter than most of the states all the year. It's also the kind of thinner recomended for automotive lacquers for models like House of Kolors.

My favorite ratio for this, and for almost any kind of lacquers and even some enamels is 1:2 paint-thinner ratio. The purpose it's to be building up thinn coats of paint to the body and to the same time to avoid the excess of paint over the whole body aswell. Lately, I've been adding also a 10-20% of Gunze Sangyo Mr. Retarder Mild to the Paint-thinner total mix. I've also bee succesfull using this final mix with decanted Tamiya Lacquers and it's Tamiya Lacquer thinner.

Simon P. Rivera Torres