Model Cars Magazine Forum

Paint or Airbrush problem?

Hi All,

Juts been spraying a model in my garage and for some reason the paint has gone onto the surface with lots of air bubbles. The paint is premixed Revell airbrush paint, the airbrush is a badger 200 nh and I am using a Revell compressor with a moisture trap.

Does anyone have any ideas what has gone wrong?

Dave

Hi All,

Juts been spraying a model in my garage and for some reason the paint has gone onto the surface with lots of air bubbles. The paint is premixed Revell airbrush paint, the airbrush is a badger 200 nh and I am using a Revell compressor with a moisture trap.

Does anyone have any ideas what has gone wrong?

Dave

Sounds like you may have had some oil possibly from your fingers on the painted surface after letting the paint dry wet sand the surface down some and try some grease and wax removerto prep it for paint

I wiped it down with white spirit before painting, I wonder if that had anything to do with it? I also shook up the little pot that the paint came in could it be trapped air in the paint???

Its the first time this has happened and I have sprayed a few coats prior to this with no problem.

is it little bubbles on the surface of the model? Usually that is some kind of contamination. maybe if you could take a picture we can tell you for sure.

that sort of thing is so frustrating.

I wiped it down with white spirit before painting, I wonder if that had anything to do with it? I also shook up the little pot that the paint came in could it be trapped air in the paint???

Its the first time this has happened and I have sprayed a few coats prior to this with no problem.

It sounds like that the other coats you had on prior were still off gassing and the off gassing is being trapped by the last coat of paint which causes the little bubbles. The best way is to strip down and start over again. When I paint, I usually wait 5 to 10 minutes between coats. Starting from back end of the model to the front...by the time I get to the front, I start on the back again. Hope this helps.

The other coats had been done prior to the coats today with a few days between, I also wet sanded between coats. I am thinking that as you guys say its probably some kind of contamination. I will clean out my airbrush again and wait for the car to dry. I will then sand it back and get some pre-paint wipes from an autostore or something.

Dave