Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1964 Ford Galaxie Kits

gtx6970

Is there avail a version of the 1964 Ford Galaxie that the hood is NOT molded in with the body (aka promo style ) ???

I have a couple of the old AMT blue printer kits and the hood is molded shut,,, but I would prefer an open hood version if there is one avail with a reasonable effort .

Is there avail a version of the 1964 Ford Galaxie that the hood is NOT molded in with the body (aka promo style ) ???

I have a couple of the old AMT blue printer kits and the hood is molded shut,,, but I would prefer an open hood version if there is one avail with a reasonable effort .

The quick answer is: No.

AMT made the '64 Galaxie 500XL in three kit versions over the years. In 1964, they produced a full detail (as full detail as existed in 1964) of both the hardtop and the convertible. In the mid-1980's, as the first of AMT/Ertl's "Blueprinter" series of kits (marketed to subscribers to the Ertl Blueprinter magazine) was the '64 Galaxie XL500 hardtop, but that used the old promo tooling, which meant having no engine detail, the hood molded one-piece with the body shell.

The 3in1 kits have not been seen in stock form since 1964, while the hardtop 3in1 was modified into a Nascar stocker in 1968--and the tooling apparently cannot be restored to stock configuration.

Art

I have a dirty but not-too-bad gluebomb '64 Galaxie 500 convertible (open hood) gluebomb I scored with some other stuff a while back, all of it pretty cheap. Seems they might still be out there.

As the hood-opening lines are straight on the sides, opening a molded-shut one is straightforward.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

There are 64 Galaxies with opening hoods on ebay...

Wow. Anybody know when that Pro-Shop edition came out? Open hood !!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-25th-AMT-1964-Ford-Galaxie-Hardtop-500-XL-Kit-As-Is-/200861583521?pt=Model_Kit_US&hash=item2ec44888a1

Top one's a 2-fer. One open, one shut, I think.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMT-Model-Car-Kit-Lot-2-1964-FORD-GALAXIE-500-XL-GALAXIE-500-SPECIAL-ED-/190766631955?pt=Model_Kit_US&hash=item2c6a93cc13

EDIT: The secondary pix show both versions with molded-closed hoods, but the built red Pro-Shop has it open. Interesting.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Just checked the '60 kit and it's the same semi-perimeter frame as the '64. Also, a cursory web search says both cars are on the same wheelbase (119"), which is what the models look like.

I thought that might work but wasn't sure. I didn't even know the P.S. Kit had a hood and engine. Unless the individual that built that red one did the chassis swap and cut open the hood..

Edited by Scuderia

I thought that might work but wasn't sure. I didn't even know the P.S. Kit had a hood and engine. Unless the individual that built that red one did the chassis swap and cut open the hood..

Mmmmm hummm, but the red built one displayed with the PS box has the same molded-in tabs on the fenders at the rear of the hood-opening to support the hood, and the same bosses for the screw-bottom screws in the radiator support panel as my open-hood '64 convertible (at least the tabs wouldn't be there if the hood had been cut open, and the rad-support would have been cut through too, separated from the hood and would not show the clean-lined top that it does). Maybe a first-gen model ended up in a PS box somewhere along the line. Hmmmmm.....

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Thanks all. It confirmed my suspicions .

I have a couple of the Blueprinter issues ( hood molded shut)

I guess I'll just cut the hood out of it and set the body- interior on a different chassis

I want to use a resin thunderbolt / tear drop style hood in it's place.

• 2 months later...

I see various releases of the AMT '64 Galaxie, and I've always loved the body style and want to buy a kit or 2. Does anybody know if there is a big difference between the:

Model King release

Millennium release

and Pro Shop release?

For example, are there differences in decal sheets, mold quality, or custom parts?

Only the original annual kits (hardtop and convertible) and the 1968 reissue Daytona Sportsman include an engine and an opening hood. The Daytona Sportsman reissue can be built stock or custom. It was not altered from the annual except for the deletion of the working lights feature. The clear "light transfer" parts were still included. With the addition of two small bulbs and a battery box, the working light feature could be put back in.

The 1971 issue Modified Stocker is based on the annual/Daytona Sportsman. The alterations made to create the Modified Stocker are extensive and most likely irreversible.

The 1964 promotional models were produced from different tooling than was used for the kits, though many parts will interchange. The promotional model interior is simpler however, not having a separate rear seat like the full detail kits. The promo model was issued in unassembled form around 1967 as a Craftsman Series kit. The Blueprinter, Pro Shop, Millennium Series, and Model King '64 Galaxie kits are all based on the promo model. Being based on a promotional, it has no engine, opening hood, or optional parts.

After the Blueprinter issue but before the Pro Shop issue, the Galaxie was issued as a pre-assembled "retro promo". A number of changes were made, and several parts were retooled, most notably the wheel covers.

Model King commissioned reissues of both '64 Galaxies: the stock-only ex-promotional, and the Modified Stocker. The Modified Stocker has a number of parts "unblocked" in the tooling that were not included in its first issue (because the Modified Stocker did not need them). These include the stock air cleaner, stock oil pan, and stock wheel covers. The Modified Stocker reissue has the molded-in stock dual exhaust restored to the chassis also. This was done when AMT/Ertl first reissued the '63 Galaxie in the mid-Eighties (apparently the '63 and '64 used the same piece, and the exhaust was needed for the stock '63).

If you want chassis and engine detail that is like that in the annual kits, the Modified Stocker reissue has all of the parts plus the stock wheel covers from the annual kit. If you want upgraded detail, you may want to go with the chassis and engine from the newer '60 Starliner kit and make the changes needed to correct the differences between '60 and '64.

having played with my pro-shop issue, I seem to remember that if you're trying to cut out the hood, you'll see that where the fenders meet the cowl/ A-pillars isn't exactly the same left to right, like the hood opening isn't centered.

You may want to look into that especially when you're thinking about scribing a parting line between cowl and fender.

Luc

I have the ProShop & Model-King issues. Only differences are box art & decals.

ProShop only had 1966! License plates. M-K kit has a large sheet.

I need to dig it out and look at it again!!

Knowing they altered the tooling Before the "BluePrinter Promo issue, but Before the

BluePrinter Kit issue, I will have to try to get one nof that kit to complare with the Built

painted kit I got as a Promo. I Know it to be a kit as it is White underneath the Aqua!

Promos were Molded in the color not painted.

• 1 month later...

Bill:

Why can't you work on something "uncomplicated" for a change??? ;-)

I remember reading an article in one of the model mags a few years ago about someone opening the hood on a '63 Galaxie promo. I'm pretty sure that the author used the chassis from the new-tool '60 Ford Starliner (as Mark mentioned above). I don't think it required a whole lot of modification, and I bet it would work fine for a conversion on your '64.

I'll see if I can locate the article in my archives and post the info.

Mike

Whats the fun in that ? it wouldn't be modeling if one didn't have to think about it a bit.

I did pick up a 60 Starliner chassis recently on a trade so this project is in the near future, just haven't decided if i'll do a 63 or a 64 ( got a couple of each )

pm replied btw

Bill:

Why can't you work on something "uncomplicated" for a change??? ;-)

An easy way to build the 64 and make it a (64 style) full detail is to use the Blue Printer Body with the 63 Galaxie kit. The hood can be cut open on the 64 and the interior can be modified using the 64 and 63 tubs. The chassis is a drop in.

• 5 years later...
On 3/9/2013 at 12:37 PM, Mark said:

Only the original annual kits (hardtop and convertible) and the 1968 reissue Daytona Sportsman include an engine and an opening hood. The Daytona Sportsman reissue can be built stock or custom. It was not altered from the annual except for the deletion of the working lights feature. The clear "light transfer" parts were still included. With the addition of two small bulbs and a battery box, the working light feature could be put back in.

AMT612464Galaxie500XLHT4.jpg.c5a0196eec0dedd52ab56113ae0e8f17.jpg

Edited by Casey