Model Cars Magazine Forum

Alfa Romeo Scuderia Ferrari 1/8...

Time ago a member of my club gave to me a old model kit, about a 1/8 Pocher Alfa Romeo 8C 2600 Mille Miglia, Scuderia Ferrari. The kit was already started, and some parts are missing, also there are some spare parts like the Alfa Romeo 8C Touring body. I found some parts on ebay :'( , but still not enough.

The model after deconstruction, waiting for a bath...

2vinj.jpg

One of the problem was the spoke wheels, who build them used a lot of glue (I think tube glue) instead to use the spoke wheels nipples, that don't require glue. So I was able to save the spoke but the other parts not. B) Except the metal part... B)

3vil.jpg

Thanks to a guy in another forum I was able to find new wheels parts...

4vim.jpg

After thinking and thinking, I decide to try to build those wheels... It is king of difficult I need to admit, above all the instructions are not very helpful... 3 different spoke were used for make one wheels... But when you get it, it is kind of easy... :)

Here the different spokes, and nipples... 60 Nipples and 60 spokes for each wheels...

10vi.jpg

For help the assemble there is this piece.

13vi.jpg

Some steps assembling the spoke wheels.

16vik.jpg

18viw.jpg

And finally the wheels done... Need only a air valve... Total part used 142!!! :lol:

21vip.jpg

:)

Some more pics...

After a bad experience, were I bought some parts online that were missing in this kit, but didn't showed up nothing. B) Thanks God, I was able to receive a refund (through Paypal)... At least the money came back... B)

After contacting half world, for find parts, I was able to find some, some I'm still looking for others... But I hope with time and patience I will be able to find all.. :)

The engine was missing all the internal parts, not that matter too much, because when it is done you can't see inside... But I like to build it with them inside, and I was lucky to find pistons, rod etc., in Italy... :)

Here the first part, I used grease on them just for help a free movement... Probably was not necessary... But who knows... :lol:

8vi.jpg

Here on the motor, with the metal ring.

7viw.jpg

There are some error on the engine mount, like in this side, it was square, but it is supposed to have a shape like in pics, because there will go the steering box. Also I build the steering box mount

and changed the position of the air intake mount.

24vi.jpg

Here a view about the engine with some work done... :) The top and bottom are covered for protect the internal parts for the paint.

29vi.jpg

For help the work on it, and carry it, I build a fantasy engine stand. :)

33vi.jpg

The engine on his engine stand with head and oil pan. It has also the gasket between head/oil pan and block... B)

40vi.jpg

This is an adjustment of the oil pump...

45vi.jpg

And here the new alternator, and new alternators mouth.

The alternator was scratch build, here it is on the engine, and need only a little belt. B)

68690931.jpg

I start to paint the engine, what do you think?

img9661v.jpg

img9664a.jpg

New spark plug from ModelMotorCars

img9665c.jpg

For work better on the chassis, I made a chassis stand. Also on the chassis I made the first support and the two brackets.

img9660s.jpg

I add to the engine part of the horn, and bracket.

67268616.jpg

Looking good! These are hard enough kits to build without having to correct someone else's assembly. I've built a few of the Pocher kits (back when they were relatively affordable) and the wheels seemed to take forever to finish. I was so glad the Bugatti T50 had disk wheels! I'll be following this.

Thank you! Yep, the big problem is to remove the old glue, that who started this kit put A LOT of it! But fortunately I found some spare parts, and for the other sand paper or Dremel... :D

The spoke wheels are very nice, and it is a long work to build them, but when you catch on it is kind of easy assemble them. BTW, toke me one hours and 30 minutes to build each wheels... I still need to build the spare tire, because the old rims has too much glue.

I don't remember where i read that (IIRC) Wal-Mart had those kit on sale at $20-30, some time ago... Now you can find some on internet, but are kind of pricy...

I think, this kit is a nice, fun challenge for a modeler. ;)

I was thinking about your project last night, and thought that you might want to do a quick mock up with the chassis, engine, and body panels, especially the hood. I didn't build the Alfa Romeo, so I may be wrong. Since you added gasket material to the heads and cam covers, it might cause clearance problems between the engine assembly and the hood. If there's plenty of room, no worries. Just a caution, as I know when I built the Mercedes Benz 500K, I had to disassemble and correct some issues several times. Good thing I didn't use glue! :rolleyes:

Great work so far. B)

You're are doing a fabulous job on restoring this, best of luck with completion. :(;)

The new wheels are a work of art.

Thank you! Today I painted the wheels (only primer) so tomorrow if I have enough color I can probably paint in the final color. :)

I was thinking about your project last night, and thought that you might want to do a quick mock up with the chassis, engine, and body panels, especially the hood. I didn't build the Alfa Romeo, so I may be wrong. Since you added gasket material to the heads and cam covers, it might cause clearance problems between the engine assembly and the hood. If there's plenty of room, no worries. Just a caution, as I know when I built the Mercedes Benz 500K, I had to disassemble and correct some issues several times. Good thing I didn't use glue! :rolleyes:

Thank you for think about this project! :) In another forum where I write, they told me to move back the engine for clearance, so the hood, radiator can fit better. :)

Both the wood simulation and the radiator work are superb; really enjoying this project.

Thank you! Tomorrow probably I will be able to finish the radiator, and assemble it on the chassis... ;)

Now finally it starting to take shape... :)

Glad to see you're using a darker red paint that was most common on Alfas of the era. These kits are often painted with a Ferrari red.

Yep! Dark red was a very common color in the 30's... I have a 1935 Moto Guzzi, that has a dark red too.

I think also a darker red looks better on this car than a bright one...

Thank you for looking! :unsure:

Back in '97, I was at the first Historic Ferrari Challenge at Lime Rock. They also included historic Alfa Romeos, and there was an unrestored 2300 with original paint, upholstery, etc. that had the darker red color. A beautiful car. I have to go through my old photos, and if I find one, I'll post it.

Back in '97, I was at the first Historic Ferrari Challenge at Lime Rock. They also included historic Alfa Romeos, and there was an unrestored 2300 with original paint, upholstery, etc. that had the darker red color. A beautiful car. I have to go through my old photos, and if I find one, I'll post it.

If you can find and post them would be great, and also helpful for the building! :) Thank you!

Wow good job on the wood. looks real. nice work.

Thank you!

I was looking a the body, and some pics from 1/1 Alfas, and something was different... Until I tried the body-firewall-chassis...

Watch this pics...

93vi.jpg

And now watch the real car... (this is the Touring model, it has the same body of the one I'm building, the only difference is the wing on the back and two spare tires.

23001931800x600wallpape.jpg

The air vent on the real car are much closer to the door than the model I have. So, I'm thinking to cut the body... This also will help to have the firewall in the correct position. Now it stay under the cockpit, instead to in front of it. B)

I admire your bravery for taking a razor saw to a Pocher kit! I still haven't found the pictures of the 2300, and looks unlikely that I will. However, I have a better chance at finding the negatives, so maybe can make prints if I do. I do remember that the 2300 had body colored wheels rather than natural metal finish like the car in your photo. I guess that was not uncommon.