Model Cars Magazine Forum

MISTER TWISTER Chevy II Nova..COMPLETE..12/01/13

You used race at Orlando's speed world. in super pro

Thanks for looking in and for the comments fellas....More updates soon! Todd, I've been to the Orlando Speedworld track a few times but I never raced there. Most of my racing took place in TN, AL and GA. Thanks again! BTW...I usually post five pics each time I show updates but the last two times I put up pics it seems that one picture disappeared in each post and it only shows the link code......Maybe the link was broken somehow??

Edited by Mister Twister

I've made some small progress on this build and I managed to get some paint work done on the interior pan and the roll cage. I'll complete the roll cage when I complete the rest of the interior components. I installed the seat, air bottle, the Turbo Action shifter console, the fire bottle and delay box. My next work will be the raised panel (off the floorboard) that housed all the MSD ignition components and the air shifter box. I have to install the tach and the starter box on the top front roll bar. I had to remake the side vent window frames on the doors and installed the tabs for the Dzus fasteners. I cut black plastic to replicate the custom mats that were in the real car. I hope you enjoy and thank you for looking in!1398_zps42c6a67b.jpg1400_zps8f33be3c.jpg1401_zps671282bc.jpg1399_zpsf1d14fd5.jpg1396_zps8eb1c84b.jpg

Edited by Mister Twister

Thanks Steve, the wheels came from the Mongoose '57 chevy funny car kit and they do replicate the Weld wheels pretty closely. The paint that I used on the chassis pan to replicate the polished tin in the real car is Dupli-Color Chrome (enamel) sprayed straight from the can over the primered surface. It sprayed on real smooth and cures hard in a few days and it produces a really nice luster. The black texture on top of the dash is to replicate a piece of textured black vinyl that was there to reduce the glare from the polished dash and to help see the tree better. I have lots and lots of pics of the car inside and out so I hope it turns out to resemble the actual car as closely as I can make it.

It's looking really good so far Darryl. I'll keep watching... :) I'll have to try out that Dupli-Color chrome some time. Looks good!

Thanks Scott, it really sprays nicely from the can and it actually lays on in a thin coat. I was a little heavy handed while spraying the chassis pan which tends to make items look out of scale but I'm still very happy with the results.

• 3 weeks later...

Very sharp job of carrying out your detail work on the inside, Darryl. Since this is a replica of your 1:1, I'm trusting that the roll cage bracing behind the main hoop accurately reflects the way your 1:1 was built. I'm just curious why parallel diagonals weren't run back into the trunk area like is conventionally done. It obviously worked and kept you safe, but am curious nonetheless...

Thanks for all the comments guys! Scott, the rear support bars turned down where the back seat would be in most cars and attached to a piece of bracing near the rear end housing. No bars or support pieces showed in the trunk area. The only things that showed in the trunk are the battery and cables and the fuel filler. I hope to have some updates maybe by the weekend. Thanks again.

Edited by Mister Twister