Model Cars Magazine Forum

1958 PLYMOUTH - - - FINISHED

Ramfins59

BEAUTIFUL Job RIch! Those fender skirts suit the body lines well! That engine compartment is VERY well done!

Oh and BTW-----thanks for the heads up on the assembly foibles! Now I know what to look out for if I ever get around to doing mine. ;)

Edited by MrObsessive

Thanks a lot Bill D., Bill I., Jonathan, Tom, Bill G. and Derrick. All your encouragement means a lot.

Tom G. - I was referring to the "foggy" memories of the times..... you know.... the mid to late sixties... Like WOW man... :wacko::blink:

Bill G. - Yeah I like the skirts on it too. Re the engine compartment, there's nothing like Google images for good reference pictures for detailing.

I would love get my hands one of these youve done a great job on it . Does anyone know what other colours they came in apart from red or black?

Beautiful job Rich! As for the colors question, they were available in 16 colors. Ready? Bluebonnet blue, Stardust blue metallic, Midnight blue, Misty green, Ivy green metallic, Arctic turquoise metallic, Suede metallic, Buckskin beige, Canyon gold metallic, Iceberg white, Jet black, Sunflower yellow, Coral metallic, Royal red, Toreador red (the color of my 1:1), and Copper glow metallic. Go to paintref.com to see them all. Furys were only available in Buckskin beige, Belvederes in all colors. Also of interesting note, the engine in this kit is actually a big block. '58 was the first year for the Chrysler big block. Although the majority of the Plymouths had the Poly block 318 engines in them, the Golden Commando package gave you the big block. (note the familiar 4 bolt squared valve covers) The poly block valve covers were scalloped and held using two bolts down through the top of them. The kit has the distributor placed at the back of the engine to the driver's side, just like a Poly block. In this kit, it actually should be placed in the front at an angle, like all of the Chrysler big blocks. Sorry for any repitition if someone already talked about this, but I hadn't seen it here before. Anyway, Rich........your build is very clean, nice chrome foil work too!

• 2 years later...

Richard, man... I can't thank you enough. I hit ALL the issues you had, and this was the BELVEDERE kit, not even the reissue! But it was your suggestion on the front rad support that fixed my biggest problem.

Thanks again, and awesome car!

Thanks guys...... I can't believe this thread surfaced again after almost 2 years.

Yeah... you got me to thank for that. I had to give you credit you so richly deserved for figuring out why the front pieces looked so wonky.

And with all the recent Christine builds out there now, it'll help others with their cars.