Model Cars Magazine Forum

Just wanted to let you guys know that GMP has given the "green light" for 1:24th wheel and tire sets. Their first set will be a '68 Shelby set. These wheels will be detailed and "Goodyear" will be tampo printed on the tires. If this venture proves to be successful, more tire and wheel sets will be made available. The retail will be $9.95 for a set of 4. Obviously, you will need to modify these to fit your models. I've used "mint" type wheels and tires in the past and it really adds a new dimension to the model.

Thank you all for your kind words. I've been out of circulation for so long I figured I was forgotten by now!

I've been bugging GMP to do wheel and tire sets for quite a few years. I even started getting others to write in. This is a market test and if sales are good, there will be more to come. The K-H are the 5 spokes that look like double spoke Magnums. It was distinctive to a '67 Shelby. I should also point out that the GT type wheel could be done as well as the steel slotted wheel w/cap and trim rings. GMP also did '69 Cyclones and GTOs. The GTOs have a nice selection of wheels and tries. As programs evolve, new sets would be introduced. You will have to adapt them, but this bunch should be good at that. I did managed to get GMP to agree to keep the sets under $10. I'd like to see them made easily available and affordable. When I built my '70 Nova SS I used Mint type wheels and tires and that model popped. I know I can paint tire letters pretty well but I have to say the detail is pretty crisp and I wondered why I wasted all that time!

heres what i want:

lotus "wobbly webs" with dunlop tyres

some magnesium halibrand (i believe they were) ten (?) spoke front wheels like used on gasser fiats in the sixties

nice halibrand kidney bean wheels front and rear

and the last two in 1/8th scale for big drag/deuce/rod etc

good luck, i know.

one love

jah bill

Thank you all for your kind words. I've been out of circulation for so long I figured I was forgotten by now!

Forget you? Your article on polishing (years ago) got me to the next level in the hobby. I consider this one of the most important steps in my modeling in the last decade or so. (The other one is using lacquer paints). I eventually adapted your method slightly to my own needs and now whenever I post a finished model I'm usually asked about polishing. Of course I always mention you as the inspiration.

On behalf of all my recent paint jobs, THANK YOU!

Thanks,

I appreciate the kind words. I actually work for myself, but GMP has been such a great bunch to work for that they are my only client right now. That's by choice. Real car guys making models.

On another note, I did propose an idea to Gregg and he liked it. Once I get my act together here at home. I may be writing again. I do miss it. When you do what I do for a company, you wind up with little time for yourself as far as building goes. I recently put together 2 dioramas within a weeks time. They were both 14 x 18. If I show you...well, that laser dot would be on your forehead.

And we never forget, we just go blind sometimes :-)

I'm going to make up a custom shirt for you, that says

"Hey, GREGG, it's me, GEORGE!!!!"

:-)

And tell Tom he's going to get one too.

Glad to have you on the board

I appreciate the kind words. I actually work for myself, but GMP has been such a great bunch to work for that they are my only client right now. That's by choice. Real car guys making models.

On another note, I did propose an idea to Gregg and he liked it. Once I get my act together here at home. I may be writing again. I do miss it. When you do what I do for a company, you wind up with little time for yourself as far as building goes. I recently put together 2 dioramas within a weeks time. They were both 14 x 18. If I show you...well, that laser dot would be on your forehead.

I stand corrected.

Please do your best to make the return to the world of the written world.

Not a problem John. Once I get my car running, I hope to get back to the articles. There aren't enough hours in a day. I did pose the question of Sprint car tires and wheels to GMP and they are open to the idea. Question is: Do you want just tires? Tires and wheels? What? I'm open to a few suggestions.

Oh, Gregg....the shirt size is XL.

Not a problem John. Once I get my car running, I hope to get back to the articles. There aren't enough hours in a day. I did pose the question of Sprint car tires and wheels to GMP and they are open to the idea. Question is: Do you want just tires? Tires and wheels? What? I'm open to a few suggestions.

Oh, Gregg....the shirt size is XL.

Personally, sprint car wheels and tires are not something I want/need. However, I'm sure the others might have other ideas.

XL? You Sure?

:-)

On the sprint car tires, and this is my thoughts, I think that before, when the Monogram Sprint cars first came out, guys went nuts for the right rear tires to use in Street Machines.

now, with all the new kits with nice treaded wide rears, that is no longer a need.

But, for the purist, I think they would like them for other dirt racing projects.

Like the new kits being released under Model King and Dirt Track Race Cars.

I have a question off subject on die-cast bodies/paint

A lot of my Franklin Mint and CMW models are starting to go bad, looks like from the inside deep in the paint outwards.

Like bubbling coming up.

Have you seen this up there or in other areas?

Is it a problem just in high humidity areas like here?

Am I SOL?

LOL

Early FMs (as will many early run diecasts) will do this and yes, heat and humidity will accelerate the process. During the tumbling process, a solvent is used. It gets deep into the pores of the model. If not cleaned properly, which was the case, this solvent tends to leach out over time. It opens the pores further and causes the metal to go funny. It's like aluminum oxidizing. A few years ago, while at FM, I had addressed this with an engineer and they resolved the issue with proper cleaning of the Zamak. To avoid this issue, its a good idea to put a coat of wax on a model. Let is sit out for about a month, then wax it. Working with GMP and Meguiar's we developed a Care Kit. The wax seals the paint and prevents any issues from "popping" up. For cars that have this problem, you can try polishing the area. If it is too deep, the paint will blister off. Then, the only solution is a repaint. I have a friend who does this for a living. Later cars should have this problem resolved. I know that the Maroon '41 Lincoln is notorious for this and it starts as fine paint distortion. This is a great stage to stop it. Hope this helps. BTW, if you personally need a Care Kit, Gregg, let me know.

I've been using the 1:18 Vintage sprint car wheels sets with great success as 1:16 scale hot rod wheels. For those that don't know, they come in a set with two wide rears, one medium rear, two tall, skinny rears, two skinny ribbed fronts, and one small asphaly front tire, all with tampo-printed Firestone logos and mounted on pin-dive Halibrands.

black34e.jpg

Okay, this one is a 1:24 characature with 1:18 and 1:16 parts

34badboy06.jpg

34badboy02.jpg

A set like these would be great to have in 1:24... or a set of eight vintage drag wheels/tires: Narrow pie crust slicks, wider early wrinkle-walls, 15" skinny fronts on spindle-mounts and 18" super-skinnies for altereds and top fuel cars.

I presented the wheel and tire selection to GMP and we'll see where it goes. I'll let you all know when I hear something definitive. The Sprint car tire sets may be available as GMP did do a series of older cars. I had a car a while back and the tires were pretty nice. I'm also looking to keep the suggested price under $10 per set of 4.