Model Cars Magazine Forum

Favorite primer for airbrush?

I was wondering what primer you guys like to use for priming parts with an airbrush? Do you use a different primer for small parts and interiors to keep the details as opposed to primers for the body? Does anyone decant primers from a spray can to use in an airbrush?

Thanks,

Jed

I use Tamiya's liquid surface primer in the airbrush. You can thin it, like, 10:1 and it goes on dreamily. For bodies I usually shoot Tamiya primer from the can. For small parts and most interior and chassis parts I shoot Walmart's Colorplace brand primer: it goes on in really light, thin coats and is very inexpensive.

I've been using decanted Krylon primers with good results. It's much more cost effective than hobby primers.

Before I started using the decanted primers, I was using Testors Model Master Superfine Lacquer Primer. It always went on beautifully. However, the stuff came pre-thinned in Testors 3/4 oz. bottles, at the same price as unthinned Model Master paints, so in effect you would get much less usable paint out of a bottle for the same price.

I normally airbrush my cars, but lately I've been using a lot of the Walmart cheap primer right from the rattlecan. Goes on thin, dries fast, dries smooth, what's not to like? Did I mention CHEAP?

Best airbrush primer I've ever used was from Model Car World. Just lovely stuff, but a bit inexpensive and inconvenient (mail order). I'll use it again next time I order MCW paint.

My normal airbrush primer is Model Master--most any flat color EXCEPT their "primer," which IMHO is awful stuff. I build airplanes too so I have a lot of their military colors on hand. If I can, I'll use one of the flat colors as close as possible to the finish color of the final gloss paint I'll be using. Or I'll use whatever I happen to have mixed up at the time--Ghost Gray, Gunship Gray, Dark Gull Gray, etc.

I'm carefully hoarding a supply of the late lamented Floquil Reefer White for those occasions when a white primer is called for. Outstanding stuff, it was.