Model Cars Magazine Forum

Converting the Red Barron to the Black Knight

Pete J.

One very good reason to photograph your models as you build them. I was looking at the last photo and I noticed that it somewhere along the way, I lost one of the push rod tubes. If you look at the jug directly under the left side prop blade you can see it is missing. I just replaces it.

• 5 weeks later...

Ok, I have been modeling since last month and making some decent progress. Most of us think of a mill and lathe as something to make parts for our models. However, lately, I have found myself making a lot of tools to make things. In this case, I needed a round screen to fit over the oil cooler. I tried cutting it free hand but it just didn't come out symmetric which really stood out. I have a set of punch and dies but it didn't include one large enough, so I decided to make my own. After three tries I got one that worked well.

punchanddiescreen_zps3dcf1ecf.jpg

Edited by Pete J.

• 2 months later...

So it is time to update the Zero again. I have made some major progress and I am happy with my aviation side at this point but am also looking forward to getting back to the hotrod. Hope to have this beast done soon.

What has been done here was to set this up to display it as a cutaway style model. The problem was how to do the cowl and the cowl flaps. The cowls on the real deal are a top and bottom clamshell design. I wanted a left side/right side display. So I soldered the top and bottom pieces together(they are white metal) and then cut down the centerline with my jewelers saw. I replaced the kit cowl flaps which are closed, with a set in the open position and made of individual plates soldered together. Here you see the right side painted a semi-gloss black and mounted with the open flaps. The metal finish piece is the original cowl with the closed flaps. I think the open flaps is a much nicer looking piece.

originalparts_zpsc08e0bc2.jpg

This shot shows the open side. I left the cowl flaps in their natural polished brass to highlight the work. They have a clear coat over them to prevent tarnish. I decided to open the flaps because in the kits closed position the exhaust was fully covered and I really like to heat discoloration that I did. It came out well.

rearquarter_zpsa6392dc5.jpg

The rest are just different views.

vericalengine_zps7ae9ee75.jpg

frontquarter_zpsf6b91852.jpg