Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell '56 Nomad

Joker

This is a build for an online "Tri-Five" contest on another forum..3 month dead line.

I decided to build the '56 Nomad..I like Turtles Wagons.

Made the bubble skirts and visor..added Lakers with shrouds..opened rear window.

Shortened the front bumper apron..scribed scribed scribed the trim and doors.

DSCN2454-vi.jpg

Cut pin head on turn signal lense black wash grill...filled hood..amber turn signals.

RSCN2476-vi.jpg

Mimicked the hooded front head lites on the back with styrene.Built up the lower

rear tail lites with clear acrylic to form a dome like the top lense then painted it clear

red.

RSCN2479-vi.jpg

Joker

have a better 2013 Y'all

Thanks y'all..

I lowered the 56 tail lites to the top of the rear emblems(small bowtie and chevron).

This was done to avoid a step up in the body work. A real mild peak was added to the

tops of the rear fenders to mimic the front fenders.Didn't want to give them a full on

frenched look..but a subtle custom touch.

RSCN2472-vi.jpg

hummm I love this project, I like the idea of ​​cap and taillights.

for the grid, I had to open sand, it gives a more realistic side (look my 56 nomad)

I did see your '56 Nomad and the Phantom '56 El Camino...very creative work.

The grill work with the fishing line and half round styrene is stunning.

I will take your advice and thin the grill ....wish me luck.

Joker

Lookin' great, Joker!

Quick question - What do you use to blacken your panel lines?

A black wash made by Citadel..used mainly on WarHammer game warriors.

(found at a small gamers shop near Chesterfield Hobbies...my regular LHS)

Lay it on thick ..no need to thin it..then the magic happens as it dries.

Also used it on the rear tail lites.Cleans up with a damp Q-tip or a wet toothpick.

Small update...sunken arial

RSCN2514-vi.jpg

Very cool build James, as always. I really love what you did with those tail lights and grill. I also like that antenna, I was curious if you had any photos of how you did that? Can't wait to see how you finish this one up.

Sorry..I didn't take any pixs...but it's easy.

First I drew the tear drop with a pencil on the factory location.

Then with a 80 gauge drill bit ..I made the hole on the fender.

Then I glued a small piece of tree sprue to the inside of the fender..

right under the hole(important step..it holds the wire)... this will give it a "sunken" look...

then stretched sprue was glued to the outside in the teardrop shape.

I lightly brushed the stretched sprue with glue to soften the edges.

It gives it a raised profile...most of it gets sanded anyway.

Then it was given a light sanding..to finish ..a smaller drill bit was used

to install a 30 gauge wire antenna.

RSCN2514-vi.jpg

Shapes can be as simple as a diamond , heart or dual teardrops.

It is easy to see the glued piece of sprue added to the inside of the fender from the bottom.

Like I said before ..most of the stretched sprue on the outside is soften up with a light coat

of glue..then sanded.

Edited by Joker

Sorry..I didn't take any pixs...but it's easy. First I drew the tear drop with a pencil on the factory location. Then with a 80 gauge drill bit ..I made the hole on the fender. Then I glued a small piece of tree sprue to the inside of the fender.. right under the hole(important step..it holds the wire)... this will give it a "sunken" look... then stretched sprue was glued to the outside in the teardrop shape. I lightly brushed the stretched sprue with glue to soften the edges. It gives it a raised profile...most of it gets sanded anyway. Then it was given a light sanding..to finish ..a smaller drill bit was used to install a 30 gauge wire antenna. [img=http://images108.fotki.com/v1623/photos/9/1617219/11446487/RSCN2514-vi.jpg] Shapes can be as simple as a diamond , heart or dual teardrops. It is easy to see the glued piece of sprue added to the inside of the fender from the bottom. Like I said before ..most of the stretched sprue on the outside is soften up with a light coat of glue..then sanded.
Thanks James, i appreciate you explaining that to me. I'm not sure my skill level is there yet tho. The two things I wasn't sure about is when you said "Then I glued a small piece of tree sprue to the inside of the fender..right under the hole". Did you just glue a round piece on the inside and drill through that to hold the antenna? Seems like it would be difficult to drill through that without it poppin back off. The other thing I was curious about is how you stretched the sprue that small into that little tear drop shape? Sorry for all the questions, just trying to understand how you did it. Such a cool modification, I would like to attempt it one day, maybe on the Merc I got on the bench.

Did you just glue a round piece on the inside and drill through that to hold the antenna? {Yes}Seems like it would be difficult to drill through that without it poppin back off.{Let the drill do the work..light pressure...I use Tenax ..dries quick and strong} The other thing I was curious about is how you stretched the sprue that small into that little tear drop shape? {I use a small Votive candle..even a birthday candle will work..pass the left over sprue and practice stretching it into different diameters ..practice makes perfect..don't heat to blacken ..just to the softening point...go slowly ..Be very carefull }Sorry for all the questions,{ I take advice and ask questions myself..just glad to help} just trying to understand how you did it.{ practice practice practice}Such a cool modification,{Thanks Jason} I would like to attempt it one day, maybe on the Merc I got on the bench.