Model Cars Magazine Forum

Any Danbury Mint news?

Harry P.

I was a member of one of their "Preview Societies," where they automatically send you a new model every 3 months or so. I also used to get a flyer or brochure from them in the mail almost every week, it seemed, and a catalog several times a year. Then everything stopped (and I found out about their Chinese supplier's problems, etc.) So I figured DM diecasts were history. I hadn't gotten a brochure or a catalog (or one of my "every three months" models) in a long time, probably well over a year.

So today I got another new model in the mail! I was totally surprised to get it. I had basically written off DM as over and done with.

Is DM back?

Their website has been bleak for some time, just looked again today, and they only have 9 automotive subjects, including the '48 Fleetline. Kinda sucks as they have created some stunning models over the years.

• 2 weeks later...

That is a great looking model. BUT .. What the heck is that coming out of the coil? It looks like a line going to the firewall. The coil wire should be coming out the bottom and right to the distributor.

I believe that that wire is supposed to have gone to the carburetor (manual choke cable). Fixing that issue was first thing I did when I received the model.

The model is really beautiful and the fit/finish is second to none.

P4190945_zpsb12e296f.jpg

P4180942_zpsc96047fe.jpg

P4180943_zps12382e43.jpg

P4180944_zpsbfb6645e.jpg

The only complaint I have is that the trunklid doesn't open far enough.

That's true, Harry, but for me, that's a small price to pay for having Danbury back in the game. Maybe the limited trunk opening will keep the spare from getting misplaced.

Danbury is just starting to get a factory back up to speed, and I think that the '48 Chebby was a pretty successful start. They had another factory about to introduce a repaint on the '47 Ford sedan as well as the '37 Studebaker coupe but so far, neither of those have worked out due to quality control issues. I have to give Danbury lots of credit for being strong on QC.

Edited by traditional

Do you have any information on the state of all their existing tooling? I mean, are they basically starting over from scratch? Have they lost all of their previous tooling forever?

Harry, following is a quote from one of Danbury's main guys as stated on the 'JSS Software' diecast site. He goes by the pseudonym 'Moe' on that site.:

As always, I can't say too much, but I feel sorry for those who ordered cars that they will not get, so I'll try to clarify.

The "L" factory has been around for years. Look closely at the ends of your white boxes and you will see an "L" in a square on some of them. L has brought us some great cars including the 58-60 T-Birds, '58 Bonnevilles, and '41 Chevys among many others. The '48 Chevy is one of their best.

The tooling for the '37 Stude and '47 Ford were shifted to the new factory, (let's call them "N"), from the "C" factory before "C" was closed. That is why those "C" molds survived.

"L" is still in business because they have raised their prices to keep up with the rising labor costs in China. Thus the price increase for the 48 Chevies. Once again, I want to thank all of you for your patience and enthusiasm. I know you are getting tired of pictures of Junior's dump truck, icon_smile_wink.gif and I'm working on getting something else for you to talk about.

I believe that that wire is supposed to have gone to the carburetor (manual choke cable). Fixing that issue was first thing I did when I received the model.

The model is really beautiful and the fit/finish is second to none.

P4190945_zpsb12e296f.jpg

That looks MUCH better.

Thanks, Tom