Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell's 1/24 '77 4x4 GMC Truck

tooltas

I plan on purchasing three of this kit next week. One will be used to make a '77 Jimmy, a second will be used in conjunction with the bed from the third to make a long box '73 Chevy C20, and the third will be made into a flatbed plow truck.

Jordan, if you do buy three of them, order from Tower Hobbies as they have a discount if you order 3 at once and they have free shipping- hard to pass up three kits for $55 delivered to your door!

My local hobby shop just sold out his second order of these- looks like there's quite a bit of demand! Ten model kits sold out over a period of a couple weeks in an area where model kits aren't exactly the hottest sellers. I've already reserved one from the next shipment he gets.

i got one of them and its a good looking kit the plow set up needs some work but its been a long time coming the last pickup truck kit that had a plow was a 1/20 mpc gmc truck/ same kit that had the dumpbed/firetruck/towtruck it was a long time go

i got one of them and its a good looking kit the plow set up needs some work but its been a long time coming the last pickup truck kit that had a plow was a 1/20 mpc gmc truck/ same kit that had the dumpbed/firetruck/towtruck it was a long time go

The plow in this kit is more representative of an setup in the 70s/80s and not like the current plow set ups. That old 1/16th scale Revell kit you mentioned was not a good replica of a snow plow but considering how many kits over the years have had plows, we have to take what we can get!

• 2 weeks later...

just picked up two kits this past weekend.When i got home and opened it up, the snow plow looked to me to be to small.so I took some measurements on it. It specs out to be a 7 foot plow in 1/25 scale 3 3/8 long. if it was a 7 foot plow in 1/24 scale it should be 3 1/2 long and a 8 foot plow in 1/24 scale should be 4 inches long, right??. so I"am thinking this plow was from a revell kit in 1/25 back in the days what do you think. joseph

just picked up two kits this past weekend.When i got home and opened it up, the snow plow looked to me to be to small.so I took some measurements on it. It specs out to be a 7 foot plow in 1/25 scale 3 3/8 long. if it was a 7 foot plow in 1/24 scale it should be 3 1/2 long and a 8 foot plow in 1/24 scale should be 4 inches long, right??. so I"am thinking this plow was from a revell kit in 1/25 back in the days what do you think. joseph

Your math is correct as far as size goes, but this plow is totally new, and has never appeared in any kit previously.

casey thank you but ok, why would anyone tool up 1/25 plow for a 1/24 kit.it's to short for the kit.let's think about is, if this truck was pushing snow to the right side of the road the snow blade would be to short on the driver of the truck. If the plow was straight should it not be a little past the front tires on both sides of the truck. oh well !!! just my point of view. joseph

This is a guess on my part, but if Revell anticipates people buying the kit just for the snowplow, it would be better for them to make it closer to 1/25 scale than 1/24, even if the kit it is included with is 1/24 scale. It may look a little bit small on a 1/24 scale truck, but if it was 1/24 scale, it would be noticeably too large on a 1/25 scale model. I hope (think?) that makes sense.

It makes sense to a point, but at the same time, why should Revell care if the plow will be to big on smaller scales?, Dont plows come in different size's ?, I dont pay a lot of attention to snow plows, living in Phoenix dont have a need to ;)

Edited by martinfan5

How common or uncommon was a 'Three-on-the-Tree' / V8 / Four Wheel Drive combo in the 1:1 realm ?

One of the nicest pieces in this kit is the clear-cast tail light lenses ! No silver or white painted backup light lenses !

When I built multiples of the Monogram 70's Chevy / GMC back in the 70's and 80's , I'd glue the cab's back panel into place prior

to installing the interior and I never had a problem .

I'd imagine that using the more common plain wheels / hubcaps combo (available from at least one of the resin casters) would hide the incorrect 6 or 8 lug pattern .

I used to hand-paint the missing fender emblems on each of my builds of these Chevy / GMC variants ! My hand used to be rock-steady , and my mind clear of unnecessary thoughts .

How common or uncommon was a 'Three-on-the-Tree' / V8 / Four Wheel Drive combo in the 1:1 realm ?

Not very common. Most GM 4x4s from '74 until '79 used the TH350/NP203 combination with the V8, with a few TH375/NP203 combinations by special order (the TH375 was a special short tailshaft version of the TH400, only used with the NP203 t-case). Manual transmission trucks generally were equipped with the SM465 4 speed and the NP205 transfer case, though the 3 speed was standard equipment. All 6 cylinder 4x4 trucks used the NP205 regardless of transmission. The NP205 could be had with an automatic and V8, the NP203 was V8 and automatic only, with the exeption of the '74-mid '75 model years when it was available with the 4 speed. That version is very rare.

Joe,

You are correct that the plow measures out to a scale 7 feet, that was one of the first things I checked! Most Jeeps had 6 1/2 foot wide plows and half ton trucks like this typically had 7 foot plows, although 7 1/2 plows were possible on a half ton if the right options were ordered (heavy duty parts). 8 foot plows were more common on 3/4 and 1 ton trucks due to their heavier duty suspensions and typically more powerful engines.

It is possible that Revell tooled up this plow because of:

1. That what was on the research vehicle.

2. That was the size plow that would fit on the sprue tree.

3. They did not consult a plow manufacturer to get the correct size as a means to not have to pay royalties.

This plow closely represents a Western snow plow from the '80's before they went to the Uni-mount style. In a perfect world, we would have a late model pickup kit with a uni-mount style plow, but I am happy to have this as I have a bunch of older kits that it would look more realistic on.

I believe they originally tooled it to be an automatic equipped truck, or at least that's what the Monogram GMC Jimmy (same kit really) leads me to believe, since in the instructions for the Jimmy they mention a Turbo-Hydramatic transmission, even though the kit clearly has a manual modeled.

The shifters are actually the same, the difference is at the control box at the bottom of the column.

The shift levers are the same shape, too? I only know Dodge 3-speed manual column shifters, which are an "H" pattern and have different lever shapes/bends between auto and manual column shifters.

How does the Chevy 3-speed manual column shifter work? Is it all inline? I would think there needs to be some allowance for for and aft movement if it's an "H" shift pattern.

*The more you know*

Didn't know that, but then again I haven't really seen any manual column shift 73-up trucks.

Had a friend that had a 75 Chebby half ton that was a 250- inline 6 with a three on the tree. I don't think the heavier duty trucks could be had with a 3 speed manny tranny, although if they had the HD 4 speed, it was essentially a 3 speed cuz the first gear was super low and most started in second gear.

GM trucks also use an H pattern, but that is taken care of at the control box at the bottom of the column. The upper is essentialy the same as the automatic truck. When you lift up on the lever, it shifts the tab on the control rod up to engage the 1rst-Reverse control rod. It's basically the same as when you lift up to go through the quadrant on an automatic.

The 3 speed was standard equipment on 1/2 and 3/4 tons, and could be had on 1 tons as a delete option. There was also a heavy duty 3 speed option.