Model Cars Magazine Forum

Peterbilt 379

Today I started a new project. I am planning on a 379 pete, but I'm not sure exactly what direction to take it. I have been trying my hand at some resin casting over the last few days, and decided to make my own Peterbilt rims to cast in resin. I'm happy with the overall look of the rims, and that made me want to build a truck to put them on. I already messed up this front rim because I was too anxious to mess with it before the paint was fully cured. I may end up stripping the paint and fixing it. I have popped a few out of the mold so far, so I could always just paint up a different one.

018_zps4e3c98c9.jpg

I had a Revell snap kit 359 Pete kicking around, so I decided to try my hand at converting it to a 379. I reworked the grille and headlights a bit to make it look more like a 379. I modified the fenders a bit as well to make them look less 359-ish. I am also in the process of lengthening the hood so this truck will have a 127" BBC.

009_zpsc088c07f.jpg

Looks great KJ. These snap kits have so much potential. May I ask what you used for the grille mesh?

Thanks! For the grille I used some photoetched stainless steel mesh from Plano model products. They call it the "apex pattern".

• 3 weeks later...

That grill looks really nice also likeing the color scheme.

Is that Cat the kit engine ?

Nice job on modifications. Is the valve cover scratch-built or aftermarket item? Looks great. Are you making it the "E" version?

Thanks guys! The engine is from the kit and then modified by me. I am going for a C16, though I know it is not perfect. I scratch-built the valve cover, moved the air compressor, moved the turbo, and changed the timing gear cover on the front a little. I'm hoping once it is in the truck it will look alright.

Thanks guys! The engine is from the kit and then modified by me. I am going for a C16, though I know it is not perfect. I scratch-built the valve cover, moved the air compressor, moved the turbo, and changed the timing gear cover on the front a little. I'm hoping once it is in the truck it will look alright.

Ah Gotcha, I have yet to get my hands on one of those Revell kits so I did not know exactly what they had. I was thinking that sure looked like a 3406 E / C-15 - didnt miss by much. Nice modifacations.

Edited by Old Buckaroo

The engine looks really good. It makes a convincing replica. Well done. Love the hood and headlights. Going to be A very cool model.

• 4 months later...