Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cobra Daytona Coupe

Tom Jackson

Got one of these myself as a Christmas gift, very nice kit indeed :)

In fact I like it better than the MFH kits I've seen; MFH relies too much on white metal for my tastes. I prefer resin over white metal most of the time, especially for body components. I have no argument w/their machined parts and photoetch. I only have one MFH kit, a '58 Testa Rossa, and the white metal body pieces (hood, decklid, pontoon inserts) don't fit the resin well (the hood/decklid stick up too far, not an easy fix at all...), plus they're insanely heavy. Very dangerous to have to hinge these heavy parts with leather straps, so easy to break and get damaged. And now Hasegawa has gone and announced in their '08 catalog a full-detail 250 Testa Rossa.

And now Hasegawa has gone and announced in their '08 catalog a full-detail 250 Testa Rossa.

REALLY??!!

Bob, where did you see this? I'm not doubting you, but if Hasegawa holds true to this....................it will make my year!! :):lol:

I agree with you to about MFH's kits..............I LOVE their Aston Martin Zagato, but it too is loaded with white metal stuff which I'd rather have in resin.

BTW, I have HRM's fantastic Cobra Daytona coupe................a beautiful redo also of the original Gunze Daytona, albeit with full engine detail and a bit more difficulty in putting together. :o

REALLY??!!

Bob, where did you see this? I'm not doubting you, but if Hasegawa holds true to this....................it will make my year!! B):P

Bill, I think your new year has just been made! Can't get much better than that! There's a thread on Automotive Forums started yesterday, someone saw the preorder information on Hannants, a UK hobby website and the information was confirmed by one of the reliable Japanese sources (hirofkd) that always seems to know ahead of time what the Japanese companies are up to. He said it's in Hasegawa's '08 catalog for a March release, full-detail in their historic car line, product # HC19. You can find the thread in the general car modeling section. Great news, very unexpected! Something we used to think would be great for Accurate Miniatures, but they're never getting off the ground w/anymore car stuff from the look of things. While I won't hold my breath until I see it for preorder from other sources, I'm pretty sure the information posted on A/F is accurate.

Hannants preorder page for Testa Rossa

With an "inexpensive" plastic Testa Rossa, I start thinking about doing a roof swap from a 250 GTO onto the pontoon-fendered car for a real "what if"...sure will be fun to have a couple of good Testa Rossas to play with. Who knows, at this rate maybe we will see a styrene Lusso someday! This hobby is far from dead, regardless of Wal Mart's "influence" on the thrifty side of the market ;)

Bob, thanks so much for the info! I'm definitely preordering one!

I thought I'd never see anyone do a plastic kit of the 250 Testa Rossa, and the pontoon fendered one at that!.................Like you said there's hope of seeing that Lusso.

What I want to see though is the 250 GTO 330 LMB!

Model Factory Hiro has one in the works apparently, but with house/car payments I can't spend the $250+ for models right now like I used to. B)

MFH relies too much on white metal for my tastes. I prefer resin over white metal most of the time, especially for body components. I only have one MFH kit, a '58 Testa Rossa, and the white metal body pieces (hood, decklid, pontoon inserts) don't fit the resin well (the hood/decklid stick up too far, not an easy fix at all...), plus they're insanely heavy. Very dangerous to have to hinge these heavy parts with leather straps, so easy to break and get damaged. And now Hasegawa has gone and announced in their '08 catalog a full-detail 250 Testa Rossa.

They do that because they can cycle the spin casting machine so much faster than casting in resin. See! Even the expensive guys make bad decisions to save a buck!!! The metal shrinks when it cools adding to the problem. The resin shrinkage is hard to even measure. OOOOPS!

I have made molds of parts and cast them in resin a number of times just to change the material. Protar motorcycle seats come to mind - they came in a soft vinyl material that eats plastic like old Revell tires. I have recast white metal to resin a number of times.

Are there enough Cobra Daytona kits now? HRM, MFH, SMS, Gunze( I know - it's defunct) Did I miss anyone? The small guys can do something to death just like the big guys did. B):D

They do that because they can cycle the spin casting machine so much faster than casting in resin. See! Even the expensive guys make bad decisions to save a buck!!! The metal shrinks when it cools adding to the problem. The resin shrinkage is hard to even measure. OOOOPS!

What I find fascinating is that people who will badmouth common mass-produced diecast seem to be just fine with low-quality white metal. I've seen spincasting in person; I know too well that it's a cheap/fast way to make parts vs. resin, and if there's a bad part...throw it back in the vat, remelt and recast! It's like the dirty little secret the aftermarket doesn't want people to know. They rely on modelers thinking "oooooh, white metal. That's GOTTA be good! It's so HEAVY. That's GOTTA be good! That's real QUALITY. WOW." Seriously, I can't believe more people aren't chastising these high $$ model makers for their overuse of white metal. For a few of the dirty underneath detail bits, perhaps for engine castings they're fine if the mold/casting isn't too grainy or porous...but just say NO to white metal wheels and body parts!

The SMS Cobra Daytona has a bag full of "over 50 top quality white metal details" as described on the box. They're just as cheesy as anyone else's. When it comes to white metal, yes they may be "top quality", to me "top quality white metal" is an oxymoron. The SMS white metal parts are grainy, sometimes porous, some are bent/mis-shapen. The usual B) Resin pieces/decals/instructions are very nice otherwise. I wish there was a better solution to using white metal for low-volume production of small parts.