Model Cars Magazine Forum

3 New Round 2 releases indicated as "New Tooling"

I saw these new arrivals on the Model Roundup web site. What caught my eye is that Model Roundup refers to these as “reissue kits†and yet they say they feature “All New AMT Toolingâ€. Does anyone know about this?

USA-1 Monster Truck 1/25 kit

Features: Supercharged Chevy Motor, Gigantic Monster Truck Tires, Colorful USA-1 Body Graphics, Detailed Suspension with 16 shocks, Double Roll Bar with Running Lights, and lots of chrome parts.

All New AMT Tooling

AMT 632 $14.90

In Stock

amt632-01.jpg

1969 Dodge Daytona 1/25 kit

Features: Dodge HEMI engine 425hp, Magnum 500 5-spoke styled steel wheels. Optional Parts: Supercharger "Snorkel" Hood Scoop, Competition Instrument Panel and Shifter.

All New AMT Tooling

AMT 709 $13.90

In Stock

mpc709-01.jpg

1967 Pontiac GTO 1/25 kit

Hardtop body style, 335 horsepower engine, four-soeed transmission, Rally II wheels, and bucket seats.

All New AMT Tooling

AMT 710 $13.90

In Stock

mpc710-01.jpg

Also listed is the General Lee from MPC.

General Lee 1969 Dodge Charger 1/25 kit

Molded in white and clear with chrome, black vinyl tires and water-release decals, includes authentic body, Brush bar, Chrome wheels, Roll cage, Transparent red taillights, full color "Dukes" decals

MPC 706 $13.90

In Stock

amt706-01.jpg

Edited by gbk1

I'm currently working on a General Lee. The GL's roofline has been corrected. (finally)

Say WHAT!!???? :o

Last Reissue it showed it corrected.

OOOO, F&F reissue.

it was a semi fix.

That could be the one.

Now I know I have to go and pick one up to check.

Compare that to the Revells Body. :)

Edited by Zukiholic

Guest Davkin

All of those seem like odd choices to reissue to me, RC2 flooded the market with all of those just a few years ago and all can still be had very cheap. Unless they can work the same kind of magic they did on the '60 Starliner, (though I can't imagine what that would be) on these kits I don't see the point. I'd much rather see reissues of kits that didn't pile up on Wally's shelves for $4.96 each just a few years ago.

David

The decal sheet is new. The "General Lee" lettering and the flag are slightly smaller than they were in the Ertl release. The blue portion of the flag is much darker and the lettering is printed in the same blue over white shadowing-looks much better now.

Edited by pack rat

As regards any corrections to the General Lee, on the Round 2 web site they say this about this reissue: "Now includes authentic body!", which indicates they have gone to some length to modify and imporbe the model.

I still wonder what is meant by "All New AMT Tooling".... :D

As regards any corrections to the General Lee, on the Round 2 web site they say this about this reissue: "Now includes authentic body!", which indicates they have gone to some length to modify and imporbe the model.

I still wonder what is meant by "All New AMT Tooling".... :D

They probably just swapped in the body from the F&F kit...it had a stock '69 Charger body, with the tunneled rear window, though not as nice as the Revell body.

Sound like they are using the phrase 'all new' very, very loosely.

Edited by Rob Hall

None of the kits are "All New AMT Tooling", nor does Round 2 represent them as such. The only major change to the GL body is the corrected rear window...otherwise the tool has been cleaned up a little. (I've seen before/after test shots) IIRC the F&F body was used...I don't have an F&F body for comparison. The rear window molding is a little thicker and less delicate that the original MPC annual body, and there are engraved panel lines running from the bottom corners of the rear window to the top corners of the decklid opening-something the annuals didn't have.

• 1 month later...
They're all re-issues. I built the Daytona and the GTO box-art kits for Round 2, and I'm currently working on a General Lee. The GL's roofline has been corrected. (finally)

Do you got any pictures of the cone of the Charger and how it fits without any modifications? The old MPC/Amt kits were horrible at the cone-fit.

Do you got any pictures of the cone of the Charger and how it fits without any modifications? The old MPC/Amt kits were horrible at the cone-fit.

Erik,

It would be safe to assume that the fit of the Daytona Charger nose cone has not changed. But, with a little work, you could build one that looks as good as the new box art.

Marc

I was told these MPC kits are being packaged for the bigger retailers with the younger builders in mind and some will be molded in colors. Per the Round 2 website the Daytona is molded in Red, the 67 GTO is In Blue, both of the Duke Mopars will be molded in white. I also see the 72 GTO is now on the list and will be molded in Orange. They will also be releasing 8 AMT kits also molded in various colors for the same retailers. Not a big deal in my eyes as at least the AMT kits are common so I can still get all the non-molded in color kits I want.

-Steve

The Daytona nose fit is no different than the earlier releases. I had never built one before and thought it would be a real pain based on the horror stories I've heard. It went together better than I expected, but it's definetely not an "attach the nose and you're done" deal. I used stretched sprue and Ambroid Pro Weld for most of the body work, with just a little putty to smooth out the step along the top of the fender extentions.

Sorry-no pics..I wish I had taken some but that build was a rush-job that I completed in one week in my spare time.

They probably just swapped in the body from the F&F kit...it had a stock '69 Charger body, with the tunneled rear window, though not as nice as the Revell body.

Sound like they are using the phrase 'all new' very, very loosely.

That's exactly what Round 2 did, Rob. In fact, some of the recent Dukes kits had that body in it too. I provided John G. @ Round 2 with a Dukes kit that featured the F&F body and an F&F kit so they could get it right.

Erik,

It would be safe to assume that the fit of the Daytona Charger nose cone has not changed. But, with a little work, you could build one that looks as good as the new box art.

Marc

It's easier to make the Revell Daytona look nice..much nicer kit, IMHO.

Rob

Thanks Marc and Pack Rat, very much appreciate your direct answers!

It's easier to make the Revell Daytona look nice..much nicer kit, IMHO.

Rob

That is what i was thinking too, I just wanted to give it another shot. But Round2 is coming out with lot more goodies, so I will support them with other kits for purchase! :D

I Have talked with John Greczula by e-mail, and this is what he said about the new General Lee kit:

Hi Marshall,

"The General will indeed have the "correct" body with flying buttress pillars and inset rear window (F&F body)."

As for the phrase "all new tooling", it is in reference to the work they have done to correct the kits that AMT/Ertl issued. The following is an excerpt from his e-mail to me about the upcoming re-release of the MPC '74 Road Runner:

"We are retooling the correct dash to put in the Roadrunner and the decal sheet will have three sets of original stripes available. Also, the chassis will be back to the proper dual exhaust configuration. (The Monaco police car is back to the proper single exhaust setup, too!)"

Best,

P.S. Good luck on your van project.

John Greczula

AMT / MPC / Polar Lights / Auto World

http://www.round2models.com

http://www.autoworldhobby.com

I have to give John and all the people at Round 2 models kudos for fixing the problems that had plagued builders. I'm definitely looking forward to getting the '74 Road Runner!!!! :P;)

Let's see....

USA-1 Monster Truck 1/25 kit... yawn. Hasn't this one been reissued to death already in the last three years or so?

1969 Dodge Daytona 1/25 kit... yawn. Same old junker that was just in the lineup near the end of RC2's tenure.

1967 Pontiac GTO 1/25 kit... yawn... sheesh, I'm seeing a pattern developing...

General Lee 1969 Dodge Charger 1/25 kit... okay, this one isn't so bad, provided of course that it comes with the body that has the RIGHT REAR WINDOW THIS TIME! (Tunneled like on the craptastic '70 F&F release, not flush like a 500/Daytona) And thank goodness it won't be molded in that hideous, see-through orange plastic like the last go-around! I'll be much happier to see the '77 Monaco back on the shelves, even the 'fixed' '74 Roadrunner/GTX/Satellite/Whathaveyou will most likely end up in my 'build this' pile.

It would be cool if they 'updated' the '74 by slapping the body onto the AMT '71 Charger R/T chassis, a kitbash I've always wanted to try, but so far haven't. Still, the '74 with duals sounds like a must-buy.

I'll still be content to wait for the Double Dragster re-release... THAT's going to be great :rolleyes: !!!! I don't care if it is going to have that tacky collectable 'tin' box... I'll be snapping as many of those puppies up as the law will allow! Maybe more, even!

I'd REALLY like to see them rerelease some stuff that we haven't seen in years, like they did with the '51 Chev drop top. Don't they have a late '70's Datsun 280 tool from the Lesney years? Or the Dodge cargo van, maybe with the original MPC annual kit's grille restored to it? Or... here's a thought, how's about bringing back the MPC/AMT '32 Chevy Cabriolet? Tool us up a new panel delivery body and restore the Gangbusters accessories... we promise we'll be good if you do! Sheesh... even the old '70 Galaxie cop car... I'd be happy to see that one back, incorrect Boss 429, too-deep wheels, and all!

Sure, I know plenty of people are going to love to see the USA-1 , Daytona, and '67 Goat back, but honestly, if you gave me the weekend to prowl around inside the MPC and AMT tooling crypts, I could pull out three better choices for re-releases than these, as could you! These three kits, in their latest previous reissues, are still clogging the shelves at all three of my local shops. I'm not sure why they think they need one more run out of them, and I wonder what neat stuff is still tucked away in Dyersville, just waiting to see the light after decades of dust and dark...

Edited by Chuck Most

OK..now the next question for the 74 Roadrunner. Will the body have the molded in Roadrunner emblem on the front header panel like the original issue kit, or will the Roadrunner character emblems be removed from the tooling?

I have both the 73 and 74 original issue MPC Roadrunner kits and they both have the Roadrunner character emblems molded onto the bodies... I'm just curious. :rolleyes:

OK..now the next question for the 74 Roadrunner. Will the body have the molded in Roadrunner emblem on the front header panel like the original issue kit, or will the Roadrunner character emblems be removed from the tooling?

I have both the 73 and 74 original issue MPC Roadrunner kits and they both have the Roadrunner character emblems molded onto the bodies... I'm just curious. B)

I'll ask....