Model Cars Magazine Forum

Lindberg 1/25 Dodge L-700 & IMC Trailers

jeffb

• 3 months later...

From what I have heard and seen:

Dodge Dakota and Little Red Wagon Reissues are out now.

Dodge L700 is supposed to be still in the works, and is supposed to be released in the next few months(Give or take).

As for the '70's Dodge Fleetside that The Model King was doing, due to difficulties with the molds being modified from the Monster Truck Release, it has been put on the shelf(If not indefinately). :D

Edit: Doh I didn't see that this was a few months old, Sorry for dredging back up :D

One of the online model shops I use lists the L700 as an August issue, and expects them in the next couple of weeks. At just less than $20 each I plan to get several, I like the way Lindberg is working, re-issuing some good kits at very reasonable prices and seems to actually be meeting their issue dates. Now if RC2 would let Hawk / Lindberg buy just the AMT plastic... :D

i saw a post on the aother board that the dodge is a no go? i saw the test boxart at nnl east...anybody got the real poop?

The Dodge L700 trucks are currently in stock at Hawk/Lindberg and are probably being shipped now. I already have my sample of L-700 combo with Trailer which also includes the '40 Ford kit. You can also get the L-700 kit seperately. I can post a photo and give more details when I get home.

-Steve

One of the online model shops I use lists the L700 as an August issue, and expects them in the next couple of weeks. At just less than $20 each I plan to get several, I like the way Lindberg is working, re-issuing some good kits at very reasonable prices and seems to actually be meeting their issue dates. Now if RC2 would let Hawk / Lindberg buy just the AMT plastic... ;)

I agree with you Aaron, Hawk/Lindberg has really stepped up to fill in nicely while AMT seems to be dying a slow agonizing death. They have been re-releasing some of the cool kits that Lindberg did before they went heywire. I've got 2 of the Dodge little red wagon kits they are so cool. build it stock or L.R.W If anyone is interested check out the web site http://www.hawkmodels.com

I just pick up the L 700 today at wally world at the price of 24.97.it come with a trailer and 40 ford also.I ve brought in the house yet.it shows the 40 ford as a rust bucket

The bottom of the box has a better picture of the stock '40 Ford that comes with the kit. The "rust bucket" version on the trailer was built by Richard Mellio who is very skilled at weathering. It is shown as inspiration as what could be done with the kit. Other than the decals, it's the same '40 Ford kit as shown in the photo below.

-Steve

post-413-1186102925_thumb.jpg

Glad to see the L-700 out again, I've got a mint original that I would just hate to tear into and a couple of gluebombs, but not quite enough parts to build something decent without a lot of hassle.

It's good to see it reissued with the trailer, I thought that part was lost back when Union or whoever had the IMC molds.

• 2 weeks later...

Already started to work on my L700. I have always liked the look of this truck, but never wanted to fork out the ebay dollars for one. Now, I have two. First, I know that this is an old mold. That being said, I think that it has held up well. Mine have a lot of flash on them, but nothing too horrible :P The cab of mine was warped something terrible. I did the hot water trick with it and got it straightened out in a couple of minutes. The engraving seems good for late 60s technology. Although they are a bit light and may disappear under a couple of coats of paint. I plan to foil mine before painting to hopefully avoid that. The only bad part of the kit (if you don't count the 40 ford :P ) is the sink marks. The kit is just loaded with them. The rear wheels are the worst. There are giant sink holes (to deep to be marks) inbetween all the spokes. These things are so deep I think I lost one of my cats in them :) Anyway, so far I have the frame together and it went without a hitch. It is even level and straight, at least to my Mk 1 eyeball. The engine is being worked on next. Right now, the block is together and the rest is being cleaned up. I think with the second one I may swap in a bigger mill out of one of the AMT B-bodies. I haven't decided on colors or such just yet. I do know that this kit will definitely need some weathering to look right. No shiny paint or clean tires for this bad boy. Now, I just have to find a mecari fender to hang off the front... :D

I bought one of the L700 trucks as well. It looks like the chassis detail is right up there with some of the best. It looks like it should make a nice truck when done. Now I have to decide whether to leave my Ford C-600 a flatbed, or semi to use with the trailer as well.

I didn't notice any of the problems as mentioned before. My tires appear fine. They are solid, unlike my C-600. The doors and everything also appear to fit well, so it may just be an individual thing, or I just didn't look hard enough! The C-600 does have a lot more chrome parts, but it's ok, since most will be painted anyway.

I was a bit disappointed with the 40 ford model that was included, as the Revell one I built awhile back seems to be more accurate and detailed. The plastic seems much thinner than my other 40, which may be a plus or a minus. If you are planning on making it a junker, like on the box, it should work just fine.

I still haven't decided what color to make them, but I want to do something realistic looking, a "used" look. I am also thinking about oak bed floors, bu am not sure if that is too much work for the payoff.

I picked mine up the other day at Wal Mart. Good price at $24.97. I have to agree with the above statements. The truck is decent. The mold definately has held up well.

But, the issue with this release is the 40 Ford. This is a terrible kit for anyone that wants to build something decent out of it. The flash was the worst that I have ever seen on any kit before.

But that's o.k.. Hopefully no one is buying this kit for the 40 Ford. The truck is the feature item here. The best that I can say for the 40 is to build the way it shows up on the box art; a beater!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I hate that combo kit. Mine had so much flash on it, it was unbelievable. Several pieces did not line up correctly either. Mine was even missing halve the flat head block for the 40 Ford. Made no diff though. I threw a 312 Thunderbird engine in it and made a '50's era race car out of it. The trailer was the only thing I did like about it. It went together just fine. I threw the cab back in the box and that's where it will stay till I am no longer mad at it or get real creative.

I hate that combo kit. Mine had so much flash on it, it was unbelievable. Several pieces did not line up correctly either. Mine was even missing halve the flat head block for the 40 Ford. Made no diff though. I threw a 312 Thunderbird engine in it and made a '50's era race car out of it. The trailer was the only thing I did like about it. It went together just fine. I threw the cab back in the box and that's where it will stay till I am no longer mad at it or get real creative.

I had the same problem with the '40 Ford body. Lindbergh sent me a better one. The flash on the chrome was really bad, making most of it unuseable. Lindbergh also sent me better chrome also.

Gary