Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fox Chassis (Ford) community build anyone?

whale392

Welcome to the fray guys...all Foxes are welcome. Mark, thanks for pointing out the 80 'Bird as being a Fox. And I remember the Durango you linked to.....odd car (kind-of a Fox Ranchero). If we want to get crazy, I will add the Mexican Mustangs and Capris as well, plus some of the early (1979-82) European export Mustangs and Capris.

Eric; you might be right on the V6. And if I really wanted to, I could find a Cleveland engine to cut into a V6 as the 3.8 was based on that engine architecture. I'll have to look into it. If it were 1/25th instead of 1/24th, I could use the TBird SuperCoupe engine as a starting point.

No problem Dan........no hurry as this doesn't 'officially' start until June 1st!

Edited by whale392

Who, me or Bradley? If you meant me, it would help if I had a Fairmont!! :P

There was a guy on StraightLineModeler who was developing a master for a Fairmont body- I think it was a Futura. Anybody know if that worked out, and if they are available for chumps like me who lack the scratchbuilding skills to make one?

I'd like to throw my hat into the ring on this one. I've got a builtup '93 Cobra that I did a while back and was never really happy with it. I imagined it as a plain jane LX with a Cobra body kit, 2 tone paint, and centerline wheels of all things. I though i hit the nail on the head at first, but the more I looked at it, the less I liked it. I want to tear it back down and buid it as a near stock '93 Cobra, loosely based on Muscle Mustangs & Fast Ford's prject "Stolen Goods". For those unfamiliar with it, it's a 1,331 mile car that was purchashed less its drivetrain and suspension. The crew over at MM&FF installed a 347 stroker based on the new Boss 302 from Ford Racing, a full Maximum Motorsports suspension, 5 lug Baer brakes, among other go fast goodies. I'm thinking I'll doctor up the kit engine to look the part, and wing it for the rest. I'll be sure and keep track of when the build starts, and it should run alongside me replicating my buddy Dale's '97 Cobra for car show season.

YJIslander, thanks for the advice........list moved and amended.

I have had several questions about starting early come up; I say go for it. I guess we could start now and as everyone gets their supplies and kits they can jump in. Ultimate deadline for finishing is still Jan 1st, 2011. More than one entry is fine by me (I love the Fox and never tire of seeing them).

I'll be posting progress (or in my case degress) pics of my 83 GLX vert soon. Welcome to the Fox build......hope to have a parking lot full of them!

Found the wheels I'm going to use! I want to give it a modified look with aftermarket wheels, but don't want the drag look (Centerlines) or the generic muscle/pony car look (Torque-Thrusts) and I ended up finding the 19" Volk GTCs.

AOS_40171.jpg

Edited by YJIslander

Red 'X' of death there Jordan. Sounds like a good direction to go in with the build; I have a set of mesh wheels that look similar to what I put on my real 83 (I used Lincoln MKVII meshes when I 5 lugged the car)

P1010086.jpg, P1010079.jpg.

My 1:1 83 GLX just after I brought it home and did the swap.

Thanks for the fix Jordan....those wheels will look good on the Fox.

The front wheel in the second pic is the original ARE 14" mesh the car came with. I ended up painting the Lincoln meshes to look like it, and I think the car looks great that way.

I look forward to seeing your build.

Yeah I'm excited for the build. The kit is already built, but I painted the chassis/engine/drivetrain lowrider-style (gold, silver, chrome)...guess I was in a lowrider phase! :lol: Of course the exterior looks stock though, so it's kinda odd. I'm going to have my brother take some pics tomorrow of how it sits now.

Oh yeah, when I was building it I accidentally painted the turn signals and back up lights on the lower half of the taillight. I threw them in some paint thinner to remove the paint, but I left them too long and they disintegrated, so I had to make my own out of a couple pieces of clear plastic. Course they suck, so I'm going to fab some new "lenses" out of sheet styrene, and cover them over with some clear nail polish, which I can then color to look like lenses.

Edit: here's how it will approximately look:

CobraVolk.jpg

Edited by YJIslander

The kit I am starting with is the Monogram 1983 GLX convertible 5.0/4spd (this box):

112-1.jpg, 110-1.jpg.

This is what I have so far for the build:

128-1.jpg, 111-1.jpg

The lowrider is for parts to help this build along, and I have NO CLUE where the meshes came from (I bought them THAT long ago!).

Ok, I took the headers from the lowrider kit (as the 1983 has cast log manifolds...mighty nice castings too I might add) and am modifying the poor castings to replicate the 1985 specific (first year for headers) headers:

116-1.jpg

made my own flanges for the head fitment:

115-1.jpg, 129-1.jpg

I still have the heat shields and riser tubes to make yet, but hope you like it so far.

124-2.jpg, 125-1.jpg, 126-1.jpg.

I took and cut the upper portion of the K-Member free from the lowrider kit and mated it to the lower portion. I also slimmed the A-Arms and am in the process of adding ball joint ends to the arms. I marked and cut the lightening holes in the K-Member upper bolsters as well as cut free the horrid convert brace (to be made later with .030 rod). I also opened up the spring perches and the locators in the A-Arms. I will be getting the motor mounts made in the morning. I also removed the cast-in steering rack and have made a new unit to go on later.