Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 Galaxie Ltd. '46 - '48 Chevrolet Aerosedan

MikeMc

Obviously you haven't read my posts before you commented on them.

I never said anything about this kit being a "turd,"

Correct....others did

what I said was that it could have been engineered in such a way as to accommodate the chrome trim without relying on stickers. And I also said that aside from the chrome stickers, the kit is very well done.

Next time you want to call me out on something I've said, at least know what it is that I said before you decide to pop off.

Whoa......big guy.....I have followed every post here.....Seeing as you build larger kits and not this scale how can you comment on a kit that you do not own or want?.....this is one of the posts I refer to:

So flat 2-dimensional mylar stickers look realistic??? Stickers that don't even work all that well???

The chrome trim should have been on the chrome tree... no slots or recesses needed on the fenders for placement. This kit was obviously intended for adult builders... pretty sure they could handle gluing some chrome trim in place without "help." Better yet, include both styles of fender, with and without chrome trim. An extra set of fenders would not have broken the bank, seeing as how the whole kit was new from the ground up anyway. I mean, if they can do multiple grilles...

Or better yet, mold the chrome trim on the fenders and let the builder decide whether to keep it, or sand it off.

Which Mark? Mark Taylor didn't buy the kit, doesn't want the kit, has no interest in the subject matter, & thus isn't very likely to build it obviously. You have read the comments, right? wink.gif

Yep.....that might be the rub...but he sure can opiniate on it!

There seems to be a general air runnung through this thread of "Well, if you don't like the subject matter of this kit, you obviously aren't a serious modeler & just throw kits together, don't take the time to build properly, don't appreciate good models, & that's why this hobby is dying, yadda, yadda, yadda......" Bull!!! I care not one whit for military modeling, have no interest in it, & have no models of tanks, planes or ships, no matter how nice they are, simply because the subject matter is of no interest to me. Does that mean that I'm not a "serious" modeler!?! rolleyes.gifangry.gif

nope..Not MY comments ohmy.gif

BTW Mike, that 32 Ford kit you used as an example comes from a modified 30+ year old tool, from a different era for modeling & kit design, & thus isn't exactly a logical comparison to the Galaxie Chevy. Yes that ex MPC Ford can't compare to the Galaxie Chevy, buty based on it's origins, it's not really fair to expect it to.

tongue.gifNot fair possibly BUT it is a turd!!! tongue.gif

cool.gif

I'm going to ignore the childish "put up of shut up" playground taunts And, while Galaxie may have sold out of the kits, I tend to believe there are still quite a few of thm in kit retailers' storage facilities waiting to make their way into modelers' hands.

I just wanted a simple review as I had never seen one...I love this place!!!cool.gifsmile.gifbiggrin.gif

I would have loved to build this kit. It really appeals to me as I am into vintage drag cars. This car would be a very typical 50's drag car that the every day Joe would have brought to the track. Of course the style could be used in all sorts of builds. I never got my hands on one because of the price tag. Eventually I probably would have got one when the funds were available. And if I had the kit and did not build it right away it would likely be that I am the kind of guy who saves the best for last. Maybe that is some others excuse as well. The more detailed a kit the better. I get really tired of having to scratch build the sloppy details in most kits out there. Luckily Revell is improving all the time. I say hatts off to Galaxie for making a not so popular model subject weather they meant to or not. I know there is a large number of us out there that would love to see more wagons , four doors etc. The 48 Chevy could be considered somewhat ugly, and I love it. :rolleyes:

Wow! Looks like you need to be wearing your hard hat before you enter this thread... :)

So anyway... now that all the opinions pro and con have been stated... how about a few photos of some built examples? Anyone out there (besides Billy) have one to show?

OK Guys....against my better judgment I'm going to have to weigh in here....

I strongly disagree with the statement that the '48 Chevy is not a popular topic. Since the days of "Street Rodding" in the early 1970's, the 1946-48 Chevy has been a popular topic with the "Bored with Ford" crowd. It has ALWAYS been a hot commodity with the Lo-Rider community. And after going through a period of less popularity (all 1.1 scale automotive topics do this at one time or another) it has streaked back up the popularity scale with the rat rod/nostalgia rod/gasser crowd.

Inasmuchas model car building follows the 1.1 scale crowd, the '48 Chevy was a very logical subject for a model kit when Gary made the decision to go forward with it. It was never intended (at least to my knowledge) to be a top-volume seller, but to appeal to a niche of knowledgeable model car enthusiasts

who, up until that point, had no alternative but the TKM '48 Chevy (a resin kit I started over 30 years ago and gave up on due to its truly misearable quality).

As some of you have commented, and as I made the point in my recent article about Revell's '48 Ford converible kit, the lack of a contemporary front and rear suspension setup/ride height probably accounted for some of the kits that were purchased but not built (that was the case for me, too). But ironically, the current trend in 1/1 scale hot rods now once again favors a building style and ride height that can be achieved pretty much out of the box with Gary's kit.

A couple of other comments. Point #1: The engine in this kit is in my opinion, the best Chevy six in a kit, bar none. The hot rod vesion of the engine is superb.

Point #2. If you look at the kit carefully, you will see that the main body casting is engineered in such a way as to support a stock '41 Chevy front end. As is the case with Jairus, Gary has recently suggested to me that he is working on something new but he has not divulged what it is. In my case, I would sure hope that the '41 Chevy is on the consideration list as it is in my view the best looking of all Chevy's prior to the 1950's, whether in stock, street rod, or gasser form.

Just my view....TIM

I just wanted a simple review as I had never seen one...I love this place

If you just need a review it is a fantastic kit, lots of detail and the parts fit is camparable to Tamiya. It provides one of the best stovebolt 6 engines available. It also has a bunch of custom bits for the motor which I believe is a unique option for the stovebolt.

I've been building one as an ambulance using the Jimmy Flintstone Barnett body. It has been very easy to extend the chassis for the longer body.

Galaxie's series of trailers are also very nice, so I am happy to hear there may be more coming from the company.

I constructed two of these Sedan Delivery box art models. One went to Gary and is in that reoccurring ad for Galaxie. This is the sister and both were built side by side with matching paint. Sorry about the dust... it has sat on the shelf since 1999 pretty much untouched.

Sedandelivery1010208-vi.jpg

Sedandelivery1010209-vi.jpg

Sedandelivery1010210-vi.jpg

In my opinion it is not so much the parts count that makes these kits a 3.5 skill level but the adhesive chrome and those difficult scallop decals.

:)

Edited by Jairus

Right out of the box. That was my very first build of that kit (besides two test shots) so I learned a ton of ideas with later builds for lowering.

Unfortunately, because this kit is so well detailed, all the lowering problems I encounter with subsequent models were already dealt with by the '50s lowrider crowd. To get it any lower requires swapping springs, removing leafs from the back and cutting coils. Or radical channeling and "Z'ing" of the frame just as one would with the real car. Some of those tips are in the article I JUST FINISHED today and will be submitting as soon as Gregg gets back from the NNL East.

:o

Edited by Jairus

Bill, that's really cool! I like the red/black color scheme. Seeing your model makes me want to buy one myself! :o

Thanks, Harry. It's more or less right out of the box, other than wireing and oil/feul line plumbing, a resin '53 'Vette exhaust manifold w/duals, and a pair of Lady Luck decals on the quater windows. Other than the mentioned crome trim issues and a bit of fitment issues with the front clip (nothing major), the kit goes together very nicely.

Unfortunately, because this kit is so well detailed, all the lowering problems I encounter with subsequent models were already dealt with by the '50s lowrider crowd. To get it any lower requires swapping springs, removing leafs from the back and cutting coils. Or radical channeling and "Z'ing" of the frame just as one would with the real car. Some of those tips are in the article I JUST FINISHED today and will be submitting as soon as Gregg gets back from the NNL East.

smile.gif

Including C notching and boxing the frame ....that would be before hydraulics or bags...

I did get a corner cleared off the bench and a how to with pictures will soon get posted in another post...this is an easy to play with kit for mock ups, and that too will be forthcoming..gotta thank a friend for a few great tips andwink.gif ...you will soon see..but the glue must dry so I can finish these first steps..biggrin.gif

If you just need a review it is a fantastic kit, lots of detail and the parts fit is camparable to Tamiya. It provides one of the best stovebolt 6 engines available. It also has a bunch of custom bits for the motor which I believe is a unique option for the stovebolt.

I've been building one as an ambulance using the Jimmy Flintstone Barnett body. It has been very easy to extend the chassis for the longer body.

Galaxie's series of trailers are also very nice, so I am happy to hear there may be more coming from the company.

Thanks Aaron....when I did a search well before posting this thread I found nothing . I then starteded a thread that asked you guys about this kit

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=29809

Two members responded so I figured I would shoot a few photos, couple of comments about the buildup ..that would be that. I had no idea or intent in starting the hottest thread in this section......As I originally wanted was a review..now I've picked up a challenge and I will see soon if I can or cannot build this beautiful kitcool.gifcool.gif

What I said is that it seems like a last-minute decision. As in "appears to be" or "looks like." And I'll concede the point... I shouldn't have worded it that way.

But if Galaxie did consider all avenues, why did they decide on stickers instead of molded pieces? Obviously one of the "avenues" would have been to mold the detail onto the fenders and give the builder the option of removing it if they wanted to. An "upscale" kit like this should offer the builder every chance to build an accurate model. And mylar (or metal, or whatever) stickers just don't cut it.

Look, man, I'm not here to pick a fight with you. I'm just calling it like I see it. You can agree or disagree with my opinion, that's perfectly fine... but no need for the personal attacks.

So now your saying all kits should be designed to YOUR Specs and preferences?? Why then do you not work for the manufacturers since you are so great?

By the way what was the last build you did? when was the last one you posted here??? Do you even build or just come on here to be overly critical of everything (b/c thats what it seems like lately)

like you so famously say .......... just my opinion.

So now your saying all kits should be designed to YOUR Specs and preferences?? Why then do you not work for the manufacturers since you are so great?

By the way what was the last build you did? when was the last one you posted here??? Do you even build or just come on here to be overly critical of everything (b/c thats what it seems like lately)

I've posted my work here many times.

So where's yours?

Man, you're skunking this joint up in every nook and cranny. Grow up or go away.

Good grief,

I have one word I have been saving for a while now, it describes you very well, "Nincompoop"

Forgot to add what I came here to ask in the first place, which of the two kits would be the best to replicate a set of '48 Chevy Sedans with?

Edited by Dukefan69'

You're in for about the same amount of scratchbuilding either way, which is a lot, just slightly different stuff depending on which you start with. The sedan delivery will have the shorter doors front, but the body behind them is clearly completely different. Pretty major project either way.

Ok thanks Mark.

I'm probably gonna get ripped for saying this, but I feel the need to say it anyway ... I have spoken to a number of modelers who bought these kits when they first came out and were highly disappointed that they couldn't be built to sit as low as depicted on the box art ... at least not without a major amount of work. So, that could be one reason a lot of them haven't been built.

Ken...I have just finished building the chassis. I have the total of two hours in this and some of that was daydreaming!

Low...I had to raise it up a smidge..because the wheel tire combo I used dropped it so low it would of dragged...and the mods done are very real 1:1 mods..right now the glue is drying and the final pictures will be shot and posted.

Wow, this has got to be the longest review, with out a review I've ever seen.

gotta agree... I don't know where this went or why....but I have been building and having fun so pictures soon!!!