Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Fred Lorenzen '65 Ford Galaxie 500XL

mmdm4

John....I don't recall that one specifically, but I did check it against the 1990's Ertl release (with the brown car on the box art). If I get a chance, I'll try to check it against some other issues....I did look at the

'66 kit and it was an entirely different unit.....TB

The brown box art car is the kit I built. It went together OK. I don't remember any major problems. Only minor problem as noted in my first post here.

Scott

I have 2 or 3 of these kits. One of them has the promo glass with loops attached to the front glass. I guess you can turn the loops on, or off?

The loops can be easily removed the way you cut glass.

Ford Motor Company paid for the first issue in 1965. Round2 only has a small amount of buyers compared to 1965. so I think they are doing great considering what they have to work with. 50 years is a long time for a tool to hang around traveling all over the world.

post-11981-0-33895200-1404400635.jpg

Edited by Bob Ellis

Has anyone else built this reissue and had similar problems?

I just did a mock-up of this reissue (body, interior, IP, trunk insert, glass insert, and chassis) and I didn't see any of the above problems, other than that Round 2 for some reason added some tabs off the clear rear backlight casting that would be correct for a promo version, but clearly are VERY incorrect for this kit which includes an opening trunk.

Two minutes with a razor saw should remove the tabs - although, this would be just about impossible to do if you were in the final assembly stage and only discovered the problem there.

I have updated my kit preview to reflect this issue and credited Cooltoys1 for the heads-up: http://public.fotki.com/funman1712/first-look-at-all-n/new-round-2-amt-65-/new-round-2-amt-65-/dsc-1000.html

In the meantime, anyone else who has built this reissue, please weigh in here with your experience. Did you see similar problems? Because doing a quick mockup as I did just a few minutes ago, can not substitute for actually building and finishing the kit itself.

TIM

Hi Tim, Thanks for the credit on the mention. Its actually more to it than just the promo post tabs at the rear. The whole glass is about an 1/8 inch too short on overall length. You can somewhat remedy the situation by cutting free the rear glass and the front glass (remove the flat divider bars) The front glass still presents an issue when gluing it in, even when you separate them. The bottom (cowl vent area) is too deep, so the glass rests on the sunvisor area, but is too long by the time you get to the cowl vent, so you need to trim off about a 1/16 or more so the interior tub fits in.

It upset's me to see how anyone can make fun of anyone for spelling error's. I can't spell as well as I want to, But that's because I have L.D. Did it ever cross anyone's mind that Maybe that person had a stroke? or other issue that would cause the misspelling and such.

Well I agree with IMPCON about what he said. I know him very well, Please don't judge him because of his spelling errors. As he said it's a forum for models not to complain about spelling issues.

It upset's me to see how anyone can make fun of anyone for spelling error's. I can't spell as well as I want to, But that's because I have L.D. Did it ever cross anyone's mind that Maybe that person had a stroke? or other issue that would cause the misspelling and such.

Well I agree with IMPCON about what he said. I know him very well, Please don't judge him because of his spelling errors. As he said it's a forum for models not to complain about spelling issues.

I'm certain I'm make spelling and grammar mistakes, when I write on this and other forums.

The funny thing is, that when I re-read my message after a few hours, I catch (hopefully ;^) most of them, then I hit the edit button (a great feature to have IMHO) and start crossing the T's and dotting the I's.

The point some guys here are making is, is that amongst friends you can be yourself, but when dealing with outsiders, it's best to show your best, to be taken seriously.

Just a fact of life...

So when in the heat of the moment you're writing an official letter on your pc, save it in your drafts folder first, after an hour or so read it again (or better let someone else read it) edit it and save it again, then the next day when you're ok with it, send it.

Just my two cents.

This is probably the last time this kit will ever be issued. Just my gut feeling. It isn't just economics, it's demographics as well.

Yeah, we're not getting any younger........I'd say the average age on the board here is somewhere from the late 40's to early 50's. Just a guess.

Nevertheless, as time moves on and as generations grow up, they couldn't care any less about cars that we care about today. Just as 50 years from now, that generation of younger folks may not care so much about tuners, Mustangs, and the like.

That's what time does to everything!

I'm certain I'm make spelling and grammar mistakes, when I write on this and other forums.

The funny thing is, that when I re-read my message after a few hours, I catch (hopefully ;^) most of them, then I hit the edit button (a great feature to have IMHO) and start crossing the T's and dotting the I's.

The point some guys here are making is, is that amongst friends you can be yourself, but when dealing with outsiders, it's best to show your best, to be taken seriously.

Just a fact of life...

So when in the heat of the moment you're writing an official letter on your pc, save it in your drafts folder first, after an hour or so read it again (or better let someone else read it) edit it and save it again, then the next day when you're ok with it, send it.

Just my two cents.

Luc, it's interesting that you bring this up. I'm about to compose a letter to Round 2 not so much with a complaint, but a request to consider making their redline tires that are offered in the '68 Roadrunner kit, a separate parts pack item.

So yeah, I want to make sure that what I'm saying is as coherent and error free as possible, if I want to be taken seriously.

I have to do the same thing whenever I write an article for the mag. Make sure that errors are kept to a minimum as it's saves the editor a lot of headaches to go and try and "fix" everything. It just makes life easier for all involved if what is trying to be to conveyed is done in a

Edited by MrObsessive

Just a fact of life...

Just my two cents.

Luc, it's interesting that you bring this up. I'm about to compose a letter to Round 2 not so much with a complaint, but a request to consider making their redline tires that are offered in the '68 Roadrunner kit, a separate parts pack item.

So yeah, I want to make sure that what I'm saying is as coherent and error free as possible, if I want to be taken seriously.

I have to do the same thing whenever I write an article for the mag. Make sure that errors are kept to a minimum as it saves the editor a lot of headaches to go and try and "fix" everything. It just makes life easier for all involved if what is trying to be to conveyed is done in a clear and coherent manner.

Now that's my 2¢. ;)

Edited by MrObsessive

it's a painful fact that the demographic that buys not only "early model" ( read as "old") car kits but reissued kits out of nostalgia is a shrinking one. i don't foresee ANY manufacturer looking at a future release list and saying "we need to do a '65-'66 Ford Galaxie kit", since AMT's evergreen issues are pretty much the best value for the money. long-gone Mopars, seldom seen GM early intermediates like Johan's Olds F-85 and Buick Specials could stand being redone, but i don't foresee many of those any time soon. the current trends of drift cars, donks, slammed and/or ten-foot tall trucks will pay the way for a few old kits to be reissued maybe one more time......

i felt a little ashamed to see AMT having to do a movie tie-in some twenty years late for the jaded old '72 Nova SS kit. really? the car might have had five minutes of screen time. the "Jack Reacher" Chevelle at least was a pivotal part of a chase scene.....

ah, well. i wish there was a kit that opened it's own box and assembled itself and had flawless paint and two trees of "chrome", one without chrome plating on it.

Hi Tim, Thanks for the credit on the mention. Its actually more to it than just the promo post tabs at the rear. The whole glass is about an 1/8 inch too short on overall length. You can somewhat remedy the situation by cutting free the rear glass and the front glass (remove the flat divider bars) The front glass still presents an issue when gluing it in, even when you separate them. The bottom (cowl vent area) is too deep, so the glass rests on the sunvisor area, but is too long by the time you get to the cowl vent, so you need to trim off about a 1/16 or more so the interior tub fits in.

Jay...thanks for the additional info.

This is really hard to figure out...I just checked my kit again and it has none of the fit issues you describe (fitting it as a one piece unit). The fit is very good (in the context of a kit tooled in 1964/5).

Makes me wonder if your kit had a faulty glass shot somehow??? Recommend you write to Round 2 and ask for a replacement glass unit. Don't know that it will solve the problem, but never hurts to try.

Thanks again..>TIM

• 2 months later...

I'm wrapping up my #21 Wood Brothers build of this kit and, after trimming both front and rear windows so that they juuuust fill the openings, the fit of this vintage kit is unbelievable. I am amazed. It's almost like a modern Japanese kit when fitting body, interior bucket & chassis together. A great, fun, old kit for sure.

• 4 months later...

Look closely at the illustration of the stock car...it has the Cragar wheels on it.

Did this kit previously contain a different aftermarket wheel, as pictured on the box's side?:

DSC_1027-vi.jpg

I forget the make and model of these particular wheels, but I think I've seen them on other AMT kits, perhaps the '65(?) Riviera or kits with Gene Winfield's involvement?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I built this one last year, its an original 60s tool, but to be honest I thought it was a great kit, obviously not on par with modern tooling but as good as it gets for 50 years old.

I also have the newest reissue with the Fred Lorenzen stock car option.

I'm about to compose a letter to Round 2 not so much with a complaint, but a request to consider making their redline tires that are offered in the '68 Roadrunner kit, a separate parts pack item.

Bill, how does it feel knowing that they did what you asked? :)

• 8 months later...

...just finally grabbed this kit today at a LHS......never owned any issue of this kit before, and must say its very nice all round. decent quality, great chrome, and the nostalgia  Nascar  folks will love the decal sheet.....engine parts are great as well....I really recommend this one if you like cars such as this......just my 2 cents.......the Ace.....:D