Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 AMT 1973 Chevy Custom Van - Dirty Donny VANTASY

Virgil, tha van was shortened CONSIDERABLY through the middle . I knew a guy in the old Metroplex, ( Dallas Texas ) Van club that did one . he had to run "Wheelie Bars " on it as i fwhen ya took yer foot off the clutch the motor's torque would litterly make the van come off the front at a light . Ed Shaver

Is it the angle of the photo, or does it look like the van's been turned stubby? Shortened?

Yea Virg, it's been shortened, looks like took out the entire section where the side door(s) should be on a 125" wb van. Speaking of the 6 lug set up on it, did the Chevy/GMC trucks from the early 60's-'72 have a 6 lug option that was the same pattern as the more recent GM trucks? That could more easily explain the 6 lug setup on this one.

hi all .

i am concidering getting this kit ... but i was wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to lower the ride hight ?

if so could you please upload a pic on how its done please

thanks

stu

To get it really low, you'll need to find another kit to steal the front suspension from and maybe flip the rear axle to the yops of thd leaves, which will alsp require that portion of the subframe to be notched.

To get it really low, you'll need to find another kit to steal the front suspension from and maybe flip the rear axle to the yops of thd leaves, which will alsp require that portion of the subframe to be notched.

ok thanks for the info ... i got a chevy bellair and a chevelle ss kit layin about... do you think the front end of them would help ???

It depends upon how 'custom' you are going to go. The main limiting factor with van is the front wheel wells, since they are and integral part of the vehicle, they can't simply be removed or moved upwards to allow the tire to sit up higher.

As Joe suggested, a moderate (4") or so scale drop is possible with the stock kit parts, but any more severe drop will require more serious mods, and those mods will affect other areas of the van- interior, engine compartment, etc.

It depends upon how 'custom' you are going to go. The main limiting factor with van is the front wheel wells, since they are and integral part of the vehicle, they can't simply be removed or moved upwards to allow the tire to sit up higher.

As Joe suggested, a moderate (4") or so scale drop is possible with the stock kit parts, but any more severe drop will require more serious mods, and those mods will affect other areas of the van- interior, engine compartment, etc.

ok thats a cool amount of drop... i get how to drop the rear end but how would i do it to the front ???

ok thats a cool amount of drop... i get how to drop the rear end but how would i do it to the front ???

You can raise the spindles, or whatever AMT provided to use as spindles in this kit. It appears there are separate pins (cirlced in red) to be used with the spindles (circled in yellow). I assume there are holes in the spindles through which the pins fit, so you'd need to drill new holes and mount the pins in the new holes.

Good question..don't know if I ever noticed the difference..I didn't use the decals when I built mine as a kid 30+ years ago..

Rob or anyone else who bought and opened their kit- do all the kits have this decal error, and has anyone bought it to Round2's attention?

The Round parts Under the circled Pins are where those Pins mount to hold the rim/tire.

(Between the Spindle [yellow] & Plastic axle rod [pink]).

The Round part/Brake drum-disc is glued to the Spindle.

You can glue it almost anywhere up or down the side of the spindle.

There are slots for square/straight mounting on the drum/disc.

I can Just make them out. They are in-line with the sprue that are connected to.

You are looking at the Side/Edge of the Spindle in that pic.

the 'Z' tab is the tie-rod location.

I have built a few of these, so know them well.

Yes, I posted about it on the Spotlight board and Tom has said he's e-mailed them about it.

Say what you like about the guy but he has the ear of the model companys and in a situation like this he gets things corrected.

+1

Not to derail this topic, but......

Tom Lowe is good in my book. I was in contact with him (via email) in the past, and I can assure you, he's conscientious and WANTS to deliver the products we've been longing for......ESPECIALLY the nostalgic automotive model kits we've been getting lately. It really erks me when I see some people bash or bad mouth the new re-releases from Round2, here on the board or elsewhere. At 45 years old, and a life-long modeler, I've watched our modeling hobby practically die in the 90's due to lack of interest AND lack of a desirable 'product' (blame diecast if it makes you happy), and it excites me to see some of these old model kits released once again. If you can't see WHY this is a great thing, you're beyond help. Big deal, maybe it's an old tool and a "chassis doesn't fit well", or "drip rails and panel lines are faint"......waaaaa!......please, take this opportunity to brush up on your modeling skills, and celebrate the fact that our hobby is enjoying a bit of a resurrection, AND that people like Tom Lowe and Round2 (and Revell, Trumpeter, and Mobius even!) are STILL producing plastic model kits, and even tooling up BRAND NEW KITS as well! Seriously, stop complaining, and get building!

.....that's it. I'm off my soapbox, and I won't entertain any backlash or banter on this. I feel how I feel, and now that I've shared it, I'm done.

Mike

Edited by Bluzboy66

I honestly think they should have fixed the drip rails instead of removing those roof ribs, the tooling could use more of a clean up and resto.

This IS a resto.......the Candy Van, Sunchaser, etc., didn't have roof-ribs OR side-ribs. Round2 did exactly what they set out to.....back-date the tool and re-release the old Chevy Van kit. Being a builder, not a collector, I've watched the old unbuilt kits escalate in value for years now. I'm glad my search is over. Now I can buy these in quantity for a fraction of the price, and build away! :)

Mike

Um ,, Mike, what does that have to do with my post?

I only ask because you quoted it. Sorry, I just don't understand what you're getting at here. I. in no way was bashing or criticizing the kit.

Sorry Steve......I'm fully agreeing with you and your original post. Hence, the "+1" I started my post with. My response wasn't aimed at you. It was just a general "HEY GUYS, C'mon!".......Sorry for any confusion. :huh:

Mike

Edited by Bluzboy66

I'm planning out a build-up of the new Vantasy, and eye-balling the decal sheets. I'd thought of doing a Candy/Emerald Green paintjob, and using the green panel decals........until......??.........my decal sheet has two passenger-side green panels!!......no driver's side. One of the decals has a cut-out for the sliding side door handle, and the other doesn't. Has AMT since revised this, or, are all of them this way?

.....compare the green panels to the correctly-printed purple/pink versions below them on the same sheet in the pic.

Mike

IMG_3397.jpg

i got my vantasy today and my decals are the same as yours... its a shame because i liked the green ones

It will be interesting to see what people end up doing with these decals over time.

I might add - the decals have a matte finish, unlike the gloss-coated decals supplied in previous years. They are noticeably thinner as a result. The new Gremlin kit comes with matte-finished decals as well. They look GREAT under clearcoat.....very crisp, vivid, and FLAT. If you plan to apply them OVER finish, you may want to spritz them with a little clear first. Something to consider as you're planning your paint job and build. Personally, I clearcoat over decals, so these are a welcome surprise.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...