Model Cars Magazine Forum

Help please!

I bought the AMT Chevrolet 3100 Texaco kit and some Tamiya 1/35 scale sandbags for the bed. I have 2 questions, how many full sandbags could this truck hold and how should I put them I there? I was thinking maybe four or five sorta like thrown in there but I'm still not sure. I need some help.

4 or 5 sandbags wouldn't even come near to overloading one of those trucks, won't even squat the springs a noticable amount. You could asily get away with more if you wanted to. I hauled about 1000 pounds od scrap iron to the local recycler in the back of my '55 3200 (only slightly higher load capaicty than the '50), couldn't even tell it was in there.

As far as how to load them, depends on what look you're after. Just thrown in would be fine, like perhaps the driver was in rush to get going and didn't worry about it. Or if you're looking for more af a "weight in the bed for winter traction" look, stack them neat across the floor either over the rear axle or near the tailgate. Near te talgate would work well for a "bringing home sand form the hardware store" look.

One thing you might want to consider is that the truck is 1/25 while the sandbags are 1/35. They will probably look too small. Remember a standard military sandbag is 14" x 26" (in 1/35 that's 0.4" x 0.743"). If you use these bags they will be 10" x 18.5" in 1/25 scale. Food for thought.

These trucks could be rated up to 1-ton, but I'm not sure with the "rating" for the Texaco kit is.

Edited by Jim B

These trucks could be rated up to 1-ton, but I'm not sure with the "rating" for the Texaco kit is.

The Texaco kit is a 3100 (3104 to be exact) which is a 116" wheelbase 1/2 ton. 3600 would be a 125.25" wheelbase 3/4 ton, 3800 is the 137" wheelbase 1 ton.

• 2 weeks later...

You may want to use "sculpey" or some other synthetic clay to make your sandbags. That way you can control the size, shape, and arrangement of them... You can also gently lay some textured cloth over them to emboss them with a burlap or sandbag type texture... Just food for thought.