Model Cars Magazine Forum

1969 Pontiac Grand Prix

Ron35369

If Sean Svendsen says you did a good job, you did a GOOD job.

The color, finish, appearance. Beautiful. The only detail I would add would be to paint the molded-in headlights with aluminum paint and then put a thin coat of white glue over them, to add a little dimension, and some custom-printed license plates. You can find those here.

http://www.worldlicenseplates.com/

http://www.15q.net/usindex.html

http://www.leewardpro.com/articles/licplatefonts/licplate-fonts-nam.html

http://www.licenseplates.tv/

Scale the plates to 0.46875" long by 0.234375" high (6"x12") and print on your color printer. Affix with white glue. I'd use an index card to print them on for a little extra thickness.

This is one kit that needs to be either fixed from the abomination it became or a new tool cut. This is one of GM's all-time best styling exercises released for public sale, and your model illustrates that very nicely.

Thanks again guys, you've made me feel very welcome here in a very short time. Thanks for the tip on the headlights, Charlie. I've often wondered if there were a way to make the moulded in lamps look more realistic. I will definitely try that method on the next one I do. I will post my "Class of 2012" in just a few minutes. Hope you see a few more there that you like. Gene, I saw that photo when I did a Google search of GP's while researching. I really love that green. If I hadn't already done mine in blue it would have been that color. Ron H., you are lucky to have saved the GP...nearly all of my early in life builds met with untimely deaths ;) I did manage to save my MPC 1969 Impala SS427 that I built in 69. I did a restoration on it about 15 years ago, shortly after I started using automotive base coat / clear coat. I will post photos if you'd like to see it.

Thanks again for all the great comments, I really appreciate it. Dante, this is a MPC original annual kit from 69. To my knowledge it hasn't been reissued & the moulds were probably destroyed when they retooled for the 1970 models. I got this one about a year ago on Ebay. I have seen one or two on there since then.

Thanks again for all the great comments, I really appreciate it. Dante, this is a MPC original annual kit from 69. To my knowledge it hasn't been reissued & the moulds were probably destroyed when they retooled for the 1970 models. I got this one about a year ago on Ebay. I have seen one or two on there since then.

The molds were updated for 1969-7-71-72, then turned into some horrid 1970s pimp-mobile custom, which was later re-released as a tie-in for Welcome Back, Kotter as I think "Sweathogs Dream Machine" or something like that. In any event, the molds are almost impossible, if not impossible, to return to a stock body and interior.

For this reason, Grand Prixs are quite expensive, and if you find an unbuilt one, be ready to spend a lot of money.

I'd like to find a '72 and build it to replicate "The Banana Boat," which we nick-named a friend's '72, which met a tragic end with an engine fire.

R&R casts one of these model-year GPs in resin. The casting can be a bit hit-or-miss, but it's the only game in town that I know of if you're on a budget.

Charlie Larkin

Well, I feel sort of bad "raining on your parade," so to speak. I agree with all the positive comments, but I can't ignore that huge gap between the wheelwells and the outer fenders. Ouch...

You mean that classic "feature" all MPC kits of that era had...and for that matter well into the 70s.

I do love that build Ron. The paint is spot on and so smooth.

But you have to wonder why MPC did all of their model cars in that style chassis that never lined up with the body. I would love to see Revell tool up a new 69 Grand Prix but it'll never happen. Though there is a nice resin piece out of this.

Very nice looking car Ron..

I remembered who does that era Grand Prix. Missing Link Does a very nice resin version of this kit.

Some folks mentioned that R & R does one and that's probably true, but I'm sure it's a challenge to build compared to the missing link version. My experience with R&R is that they do some interesting subjects, and charge reasonable prices, but you work A lot harder for the end result. I'd never buy one sight unseen...whereas with the missing link products I would not hesitate to buy one sight unseen. Albeit they are more expensive.

Again Ron, beautiful model

Thanks again guys for all the great comments. I agree with you, Jeff, about MPC although back when I was a kid building kits I really didn't pay any attention to sloppy chassis alignment...I worried more about how the body looked & MPC was usually pretty spot on, where Revell back in the old days was some BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH. Now Revell is setting the bar for accuracy & detail where Round 2 is just reissuing the same old innacurate MPC kits. Don't get me wrong...I'll take an innacurate MPC over nothing at all. I've done several of the R&R resin kits & yes they are somewhat challenging. Unfortunately, for most of what they offer, they are the only game in town. I've seen the MIssing Link Grand Prix on Ebay & I think it's the 71-72 version with single headlights. I will have one of those also, eventually. Now I just gotta figure out how to live long enough to build all the kits I have waiting :) Oh how I long for the days when Art Anderson was in the resin casting business with his All American Models. His work was right up there with The Modelhaus for quality & at a reasonable price. If I just had a time machine...

Great looking Pontiac! I like to see the old annuals built up and preserved. Great paint, and I wouldn't worry about the wheel well gaps. That's how a lot of kits were back then. You're right about Revell. Some of their kits were pretty crummy in the 1960's, but now they have many of the best ones available.

Sam

Oh how I long for the days when Art Anderson was in the resin casting business with his All American Models. His work was right up there with The Modelhaus for quality & at a reasonable price. If I just had a time machine...

Art had stopped casting resin just before I got back into building models heavily (I never stopped, but the forums turned me into one the lunatic fringe crowd that we all belong to LOL). Its funny in so much as Art and I are friends, but I have never owned an AAM kit... However knowing Art I am not surprised a bit that he put out a product like that :) I've been outbid (ebay) on many AAM kits !!