Model Cars Magazine Forum

Lindberg '61 Impala

D Fowler

Hi,

I lurk here a lot and find the gang here to be extremely informed. Can you guys refresh my memory about the issue with the Lindberg '61 Impala windshield? I know they actually went back and corrected it, but I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking for.

-Dean Fowler

Edited by D Fowler

They changed the cowl, dash and some smaller details(air cleaner?) And if memory serves, I believe there are some small difference's in the boxes too, but I can't remember what they are. I have a first issue, that's what I get for having to have one right away, then it sit's in it's box to this day.

When the changes were made, Lindberg put a gold star sticker on the box top to let you know its the correct kit. The problem with the original kit was the bottom windshield cowl area which was incorrect and even the kit glass wouldn't fit the resin kits that was design to use the Lindberg '61 parts. I think the hood was incorrect too.

Everything is fixed in the 2nd runs with a gold star sticker on the boxes.

~ Jeff

As Jeff mentioned, the bottom part of the windshield was too rounded, giving it a half moon shape. Likewise since the hood and dash followed the cowl/windshield they too were wrong.

At least Lindberg stepped up and fixed it..............too bad the same couldn't have been done (the first time) with Revell's woefully inaccurate '70 AAR 'Cuda. The second one is better but......... :P

Hey, thanks for the replies! I knew this would be the right place to ask! I also got one when it first came out and then left it on the shelf when the error came to light. Now I see them at shows, but keep passing because I'm not sure if they're correct. See them with "New" stickers sometimes, but I think those are early ones as well. I mean to do one like my dad had, so I'd like it to be accurate.

The AAR is a a shame, two attempts and two strikes. Wonderful lines on that car, you want them to be right.

Thanks again,

Dean Fowler

I have several of these kits, The Don Nicholson versions to be precise. No gold star, no problems with hood or windshield. What am I missing? When were these changes made?

The changes were made shortly after the first production run of the kit, 1997 or thereabouts.

Again, back in the days of STRICTLY STOCK, Lindberg had sent me a final round test shot (in metallic black no less) of the kit for review. I saw the problems right away and provided them with a detailed report. Response was an "Oh $%#$!" and "The kit's gone into production. We'll have to wait until after the first run to make the corrections."

And they DID. They pulled the tool and made the corrections. Only one thing I reported to them was not addressed, and that was the shallow interior depth.

The fact that they did make the majority of the corrections is cause for major compliments. Such corrections are not cheap. Tooling costs are EXPENSIVE. But Lindberg at the time wanted to make serious inroads into our enthusiast community. And again, they DID.

Kits with the red and white box having a yellow and black NEW sticker on the shrink wrap are how to tell the "fixed" kits from the "unfixed" ones. All kits in the gray boxes are the fixed ones, including the Dyno Don editions.

Hope that helps a little.

Edited by larrygre

IIRC, Larry, the kit tooling went in to be changed less than a month or so after the model hit the shelves. I remember because the model was all the buzz at our MAMA meeting back then and we were still meeting in Catonsville College at that time.

It was mentioned (I think by Lyle Willits or Larry Boothe) that the tooling had already gone back in to be corrected for the inaccuracies.

Dont'cha wish the others cared as much about their tooling?? Remember the Pontiac 2+2 fiasco?? :(

IIRC, Larry, the kit tooling went in to be changed less than a month or so after the model hit the shelves. I remember because the model was all the buzz at our MAMA meeting back then and we were still meeting in Catonsville College at that time.

It was mentioned (I think by Lyle Willits or Larry Boothe) that the tooling had already gone back in to be corrected for the inaccuracies.

Dont'cha wish the others cared as much about their tooling?? Remember the Pontiac 2+2 fiasco?? :)

Bill, that's absolutely right. Lindberg deserves a lot of credit for taking that kind of bold action. I would have to give similar credit to Revell-Monogram for their swift retooling of the Pro Modeler '69 Charger around the same time span.

Don't remind me about the "2+2", old friend. Seems my "Dog's Day" article in SAE just won't die! :D

Hope all is well with you.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

I have the Lindberg 61 Impala but it's one of the originals with the badly misshapen cowl. Is there a way of knowing which kit has the later corrected cowl? Is the box art different on the corrected ones? When I search the kit on eBay it comes back with a number of different box arts...just want to know which one is the corrected body....

I have the issue with the red car on the top with a mostly white background

• 4 months later...