Model Cars Magazine Forum

Lindberg '61 Impala

D Fowler

Anna, the VERY early issues of that kit WERE kinda "Twonked". They had a windsheild/cowl area that was more rounded that it SHOULD have been. It was released LIKE THAT. When the buying public informed Lindburg their mistake, they REMOVED it and RE TOOLED it to it's proper, present form. BOTH kits build up VERY nicely, and ,to be honest with you, they BOTH LOOK good when done. If you weren't told, or didn't really know WHAT a REAL 61 Impala looked like, you probably wouldn't tell.It was only the HARDTOP, the Convert came out AFTER the retooling, so it's cool.

Builds up nice. Tyres seem a little undersized (I replaced them) and the stance needs adjusting if you want it to look like Don's (I went up at the front & down at the back)

DynoDon61003.jpg

Edited by zenrat

Anna, the VERY early issues of that kit WERE kinda "Twonked". They had a windsheild/cowl area that was more rounded that it SHOULD have been. It was released LIKE THAT. When the buying public informed Lindburg their mistake, they REMOVED it and RE TOOLED it to it's proper, present form. BOTH kits build up VERY nicely, and ,to be honest with you, they BOTH LOOK good when done. If you weren't told, or didn't really know WHAT a REAL 61 Impala looked like, you probably wouldn't tell.It was only the HARDTOP, the Convert came out AFTER the retooling, so it's cool.

Allen,

You happen to have a comparison pic.? I'm trying to picture this issue and ck the one kit I have here.

Did or does or will Lindberg replace bodies like on kits with issues ?

Allen? Nope, George53. But anyways, Nope sorry, can't post pics ,but I DO have both the "Recalled Kit' and the retooled one and the only difference i can see, is on the recall, it has a small Lindburg logo just to the left of the bar code marking on the box end. The stock nu. is the same on both kits. The RE TOOLED kit has the Lindburg Logo at the FAR LEFT of the side of the box, a Skil Level 2 indicator, and THEN the bar code. The Re called kit has a white box/red end stripe, red car on the cover, the Re tooled kit has a grey shaded box with the same red car on it. Like I said, both build up nice.

• 2 years later...

I have this kit

,imagesY1UT34JM_zpseu0pddiq.jpg

And now that I have reread the above post I see it is the corrected kit. Thanks George 53 for that box description.  Now the only complaint I have is the shallow interior.  I can live with it. But the Lindberg 1964 Belvedere is worse. The tiny bucket seats sit right on the floor!

Edited by noname

• 4 years later...

I know it's an old thread but it just became relevant to me.

I got this kit as a gift this past Christmas. I opened it that day and found the trim was damaged on the left rear quarter. I contacted Lindberg and within a short time they sent me a new body. 

This past week to get out of my building slump I decided to get the body prepared for paint. When I put the original hood on the replacement body it didn't fit but it fit the original body perfectly. That's when I noticed the difference in the two bodies. Apparently the original kit I got as a gift was the first tooling with the D shaped cowl and hood and the replacement body is the corrected tooling.

I'll contact Lindberg and see if and how they will remedy this. When I first contacted them they asked for a picture of the UPC code and other numbers on the box. Not sure why they didn't see then that the kit was the bad one and send me the corrected hood, windshield and dash along with the body. We'll see what happens.

IMG_20200315_115331119.jpg

IMG_20200315_115540494.jpg

IMG_20200315_115403594.jpg

IMG_20200315_115506254.jpg

Edited by Perspective Customs